Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 17:09

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I have always been very leery of low carb products. I've never used Dreamfields and I'm not sure I ever would. I love spaghetti squash with low carb alfredo sauce
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 17:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/130 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim8461
I have always been very leery of low carb products. I've never used Dreamfields and I'm not sure I ever would. I love spaghetti squash with low carb alfredo sauce

i think I will try the shirataki noodles... I think I could make a passable Pad Thai using them.

But, it'll be when I'm a little further along.

I don't like any of the commercially available low carb bake mixes, etc.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 02:34

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I eat Dreamfield's pasta about twice a week. It does not seem to trigger any cravings whatsoever, and does not cause me (personally) any weight gain. It does, however, seem to make me bloated and gassy (sorry!) just like other high carb pastas. It actually seems to help me lose, but I think that is just a by product of it adding some "bulk" to my diet as it tends to help...um...move things along...
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 02:38

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:

I eat dreamfield's pasta about twice a week. It does not personally cause me any weight gain or seem to even mildly trigger cravings to return. It does, however, tend to make me bloated and somewhat gassy (sorry!) like other high carb pastas. It actually seems to help me lose weight, but I think that it is probably due to adding the "bulk" to my diet. It...um...seems to help move things along.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 04:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (pure)
Stats: 213.8/208.7/165 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 10%

You're not the only one, Kd. I've found that Dreamfields, no matter how tasty it can be, will almost inevitably make me bloaty. Overcooking or reheating seems to make it even worse.

So, I strictly limit my use of it.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 05:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/205/130 Female 61 inches
BF:

I have eaten Dreamfield a couple of times, maybe about 1 - 2 times a month without a problem. I use it more often for my kids though, as you really can't tell a difference between that and regular pasta, except it seems to fill you up faster. I figure, just because they are kids, doesn't mean the really NEED the extra carbs from real pasta! I have tried the shiratake noodles and couldn't get past the first bite. To me, it tasted like trying to eat sauce covered rubber bands, blah!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 09:02

Stats: 274/208/180 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have an old box of Dreamfields that was given to me, and I might try it this weekend. I bet it's better than shiratake noodles, but I still like those. I'll have to try it with butter and herbs and cheese & then maybe some with homemade alfredo.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 11:30

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I've wondered about it...but if it has gluten...forget it.....just found out last week I am celiac.....I like the rice pastas too...but the sugar spikes are worse than if I eat a bowl of sugar.....

I like the tofu noodles....shirataki?? I think it's called.....I was amazed at how good those are!!!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 11:45

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

I have Dreamfields elbows for mac and cheese about twice a month, and it doesn't affect my weight loss at all. It does seem to be alot more filling than regular pasta as I can hardly finish a small bowl of it, where as in my pre LC days I could down a jumbo bowl without breaking a sweat.

Since this is going to be a WOE for me for the long term I'm glad I can still have my mac and cheese every once and a while. I probably wouldn't eat it every day, but as a treat it's great. Plus it's one of the few LC products that they still sell in the regular grocery store.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 21:11

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

anyone still using it?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 05:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
anyone still using it?

Not since it was exposed as a scam.

The Dreamfields pasta fraud finally results in an 8 million dollar fine!

The moral of the story is that you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Attempts to "recreate" the SAD in a low carb version are doomed to failure. It turns out what I loved about pasta is the sauce, and I have it over vegetables with just as much enjoyment, and even more over eggs, now that I have discovered my fiber sensitivity.

Because what we really want back is the "carb high" and as someone who has recovered from a classic Eating Disorder; that's a real thing.

But as anyone's success story will tell you, if you stay away from it, the urge does fade. Now, I regard this kind of thing as poison, because it is.

Like any addiction, if you don't feed the beast, it goes away.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 08:32

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

As I was reading the comments on this thread, I didn't see the answer to the question - "what are protected carbs."

But I wonder, just as the Atkins bars, shakes and candies include "sugar alcohols" because "they don't raise blood sugar" if the whole thing is just an advertising gimmick to get low carbers to buy the product.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 10:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Supposedly, "protected carbs" resist digestion. But that also has digestive consequences which aren't pleasant.

At least so far, we can't fool Mother Nature.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 11:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Agree with werebear.

I’m a type one diabetic and have not tried DF, but have tried loads of low carb products over the last 15 years and always had same result. Unless it is just fiber they are subtracting, all claims regarding sugar alcohols and resistant/indigestible starches (exceptions being erythritol, monk fruit, stevia) are lies and do cause massive spikes.
Whether these would impact a non diabetic I certainly can’t say, but I would say replacing a highly processed food with an unprocessed one (examples for pasta would be spiralized zucchini, broccoli slaw, spaghetti squash, etc...) will always be healthier choice. Sometimes now I just use broccoli florets or green beans with various “pasta sauces” and proteins like shrimp, tofu or chicken meatballs....

The processed “wow this reminds me of real pasta” products I do use are shirataki and the bean based pastas. I think the brand on the black bean pasta or edamame (the two lowest in carbs) is beyond or imagine or something. It’s a white box with red border at Whole Foods. Sea point also now has edamame one.
I usually pick veggies, make these more a sometimes food, and watch portion size bc they are SO high fiber and will mess with your stomach.

As always, your mileage may vary.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 11:06

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Diabetic

As a type 2 diabetic for 23 years, my blood sugar spikes within 30 minutes of eating Dreamfields. Personally the taste was great. It may be different for other diabetics and non-diabetics.