Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-13, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, previous MM, own
Stats: 252/201.5/148 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Wow, this is a fantastic thread! Thank you all for the inspiration.

Judynyc Wow, thank you so much for still being here and being so supportive of others, the fact that you made it to goal and have maintained that loss for so long is outstanding!
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-13, 22:16

Plan: eat fat get thin
Stats: 323/135/150 Female 5'8
BF:49.2/21.7/22.8
Progress: 109%

a bit late but still here!!!!! 188 and still holding strong. i think what keeps me going is not wanting to go back and i think having a strong supportive person behind me helped a lot.
  #348   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 07:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/159.2/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Just getting back into the boards after having been awhile (baby) and see that I've finally hit the mark (I can remember reading this thread before - I'm mostly lurky). I feel great though as some have mentioned I have some days when I still feel huge and others when i feel downright delicate (well sort of). I get cold ALOT and feel the bones on hard surfaces - but I'll take it - it really is nice sometimes to realize HOW much better you feel, it can get lost in the shuffle (like when people you see evryday don't notice how much weight you're losing). I think someone else asked about exercise - I lost the first 100 in about 10 months with no exercise, have since started exercising and loving it (nothing too intense C25K - the long version).
Good luck to everyone and thanks to the others before me who provided guidance, inspiration, support etc. I am really impressed by everyone's success, attitude in the face of setbacks and ability to maintain
- Judy - 7 years - mindblowingly amazing!!!
  #349   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 15:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Big Bump for this thread!

I'm now more than 8 yrs into my maintenance of over 100 lbs lost.

It is possible!
  #350   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 16:34
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I'm one of the "other" ones. I lost 105 pounds in 2003/2004 and was very active on this forum at that time. Over the years, I put back all of it and started over again this February.

Why did I put it back on? I can't really pinpoint it. I used food for everything - comfort, celebration, relief of sadness, and just because - and I fell back into those old habits. I don't think I had a good strategy for maintenance and in fact, I didn't actually get to a point where I considered I was on maintenance. I've had quite a few attempts to get back on track over these years and went back down to about 229 I think a few years ago. But I gained back to 277 this year.

I fully believe in the low carb approach to eating. It is the only thing that takes away the constant food cravings.

I am back on track and have lost over 30 pounds since the end of February. I won't ever give up. I know how it feels to be able to run up and down stairs. I remember how it feels to actually like being active instead of it being a horrible burden to endure.

What's different this time?

1. I'm back here
2. I've been using hypnosis with the mantra of "I eat healthy food in healthy portions."
3. I'm diligent about recording my food in fitday (most of the time)
4. I'm thinking about what maintenance will look like -- losing is actually easier than maintaining, I think. The reality of maintenance is that I can't eat much more than when losing. And I need to be fully aware and accepting of that.

So to everyone who is like me -- yes, there is a "do-over" possible. But planning for keeping it off as you are taking if off may mean you can just do it once and keep it off!

I wish you all the best!
  #351   ^
Old Thu, May-22-14, 18:18
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc

It is possible!

Thanks for the encouragement, Judy. I hope to follow in your shoes one day.
  #352   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 09:25
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:

It is possible!

OMG Judy you are utterly amazing woman! What a power house you are for making such a permament change!

Doing the happy dance with you!!!!

#353   ^
Old Sun, May-25-14, 04:51
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default I've lost 142 lbs in 51 weeks...

Quote:

It is possible!

You're one of my HEROs on here Judy!!! I am going to be a LC WOE Lifer and I'll be just like you saying, yes you can do this and I've maintained the weight loss for X number of years!!

I REFUSE to REGAIN!!
  #354   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 04:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 416/205/205 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I recently received an e-mail alert about this thread, and it dawned on me that I've been absent from this forum for quite a while. I could make excuses, such as having double knee replacement 15 months ago, and everything...........EVERYTHING................in my life was wrapped up in rehabbing.

Be what it may, I've been absent, not because of weight loss failure, but if anything, weight loss success! When I received that e-mail prompt, I came back to this tread, manly because of vanity, and a desire to read what I wrote somewhere in this thread. I discovered I'd been gone so long I couldn't find my post, but started reading from the last post, backward.

I ran across a few people who had once had great success at weight loss, and then put most, or all, of it back on. That brought out a desire in me to reach out to those folks. I'm one of many who has been blessed by living a life of obesity, finding great success at living a low-carb lifestyle, and has now spent several years at goal weight. Those years have been remarkably, with many high points like being 71 years old and playing golf 5 days a week. Atkins even flew my wife and myself to Hollywood a couple of years ago to do a photo shoot and promo for them. You'd have to say I've "got it all," and enjoying every minute of it. You wouldn't be wrong in that assumption.

But, early on...........back in 2003.............I lost a 150 lbs,, and put every damned pound right back on. That is what I'd like to talk about for a moment. I never thought I'd feel any lower than I did as a man in his 40's, and 50's, and early 60's who weighted in excess of 400 pounds. But, when I lost those 150 lbs, and then regained 'em, I was then at my lowest point. For a variety of reasons, I gave it another shot. But, that last time I did one thing a little differently. Since I had decided the "Atkins Approach" was what worked best for me, I really worked that program and NOT "Atkins - PapaJack style."

That first time around, I was never comfortable enough in myself, or in "Atkins," to ever leave induction. I'm convinced my failure was due to not working through the phases of "Atkins!" In other words, I was trying to changing the program into what, and how, I wanted to do it. I discovered I wasn't a weight loss guru, and that Dr. Atkins knew a hell of a lot more than me.

In a nutshell, to those who lost, and failed, and are trying to get back to what once worked, think about what plan you've decided upon to reach your goal. Consider doing it the way the plan calls, and perhaps forgetting about trying to "tweak" it a dab to better suit yourself.
  #355   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 05:20
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajack
...............That first time around, I was never comfortable enough in myself, or in "Atkins," to ever leave induction. I'm convinced my failure was due to not working through the phases of "Atkins!" In other words, I was trying to changing the program into what, and how, I wanted to do it. I discovered I wasn't a weight loss guru, and that Dr. Atkins knew a hell of a lot more than me.

In a nutshell, to those who lost, and failed, and are trying to get back to what once worked, think about what plan you've decided upon to reach your goal. Consider doing it the way the plan calls, and perhaps forgetting about trying to "tweak" it a dab to better suit yourself.

Amen and Hallelujah, papajack!! In a nutshell you have described my battle with myself in losing the weight, putting back on repeatedly over the span of my entire adult life. I've lost literally 100s of pounds over the decades -- I have been 100% successful EVERY single time I decided to lose weight and DIET using A '72 -- what I failed to understand was to follow the REST of the journey! I didn't realize or pretended not to realize that this is a WOE not a diet... diets have an end goal and stop, WOE's end goal is the grave...

I am NEVER EVER going to be a carb eater (well I can be if I want FAT Jo hanging around again). I get that NOW -- don't know what brain cells finally fired to make me realize that. But I REFUSE to REGAIN!! And I solely have that power over what I put in my mouth and I am a control freak so it's going to be easy! **cue "take-over the world" evil villain laugh** Yep, I am going to be an LC WOE Lifer!!!!
  #356   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 05:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Amen and Hallelujah, papajack!! In a nutshell you have described my battle with myself in losing the weight, putting back on repeatedly over the span of my entire adult life. I've lost literally 100s of pounds over the decades -- I have been 100% successful EVERY single time I decided to lose weight and DIET using A '72 -- what I failed to understand was to follow the REST of the journey! I didn't realize or pretended not to realize that this is a WOE not a diet... diets have an end goal and stop, WOE's end goal is the grave...

I am NEVER EVER going to be a carb eater (well I can be if I want FAT Jo hanging around again). I get that NOW -- don't know what brain cells finally fired to make me realize that. But I REFUSE to REGAIN!! And I solely have that power over what I put in my mouth and I am a control freak so it's going to be easy! **cue "take-over the world" evil villain laugh** Yep, I am going to be an LC WOE Lifer!!!!

Are we the same person?? same name, same history and same future lol!!!!

Jo xxx
  #357   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 05:45
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Are we the same person?? same name, same history and same future lol!!!!

Jo xxx

Maybe we're twins, Jo? but I already have a TWIN brother who has NEVER EVER had a weight issue in his SKINNY little LIFE -- gosh I hate HIM!! j/k He takes after my 4'8" mom who weighed 100 lbs soaking wet and I take after my 6' dad who always had a weight problem -- damn those genes!!! LOL
  #358   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 06:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 416/205/205 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo

What it took me a lifetime to understand was "MAINTENANCE" is one of the steps, and as are each of those phases, the last one is as importance as the first.

Just like all the levels in weight loss, when one reaches goal weight, they have to work their weight loss program AS IT'S MEANT TO BE WORKED, in that last phase.

Reaching goal weight is a great achievement, but it ain't the be all and end all. "MAINTENANCE" is what one wants, and is as easy as are the other levels, if we work it in the same way!
  #359   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 11:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajack
What it took me a lifetime to understand was "MAINTENANCE" is one of the steps, and as are each of those phases, the last one is as importance as the first.

Just like all the levels in weight loss, when one reaches goal weight, they have to work their weight loss program AS IT'S MEANT TO BE WORKED, in that last phase.

Reaching goal weight is a great achievement, but it ain't the be all and end all. "MAINTENANCE" is what one wants, and is as easy as are the other levels, if we work it in the same way!

I'm so glad that you came back to post your great update, papajack!

You are so right when you talk about using all the phases of the plan as you lose the weight. I find that those who don't find it difficult to maintain over time. They are fine for a while then start to regain as they get tired/bored with the way they are eating. ' OWL phase of Atkins' is there for a very good reason.

While I've been maintaining my loss for all these years, the past year has me experiencing a small amount of regain. Between +5-8 lbs and its scaring me a lot.
I'm taking steps to figure out why after 8 yrs of being weight stable would I now gain. I'm investigating my thyroid and my menopause status regarding my hormones.
I had 2 surgeries within 3 months of each other 2 yrs ago. First was for an emergency hernia. Then 3 months later, it was parathyroid surgery. After that, I slowly started seeing regain.
I'm trying to figure this out and in the mean time, not gain any more weight.
  #360   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 12:26
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I'm sure you are on top of it but have you talked over your concerns with your doctor, Judy? And parathyroid is so close to the thyroid that the thyroid could be affected ... are you getting your thyroid levels checked? I've had my thyroid removed so stay on top of that all the time.