Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 16:32

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Default Anyone been to Dr. S web site..

lately? I notice it says it is " being completely updated in a few weeks." I am anxiously keeping an eye on it!

The message board is sure not very active today. I bet everyone is reading the new book. I got mine today -- so will start my 'homework' tonight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 16:46

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Rosa, let us know when it's up. I have a couple questions I want to post: Most notably why she doesn't like buttermilk (cultured buttermilk is made with some of the same bugs as yogurt and I make my own buttermilk out of organic whole milk).

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 08:11

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Deb, I have always wondered about that also. I know the sodium content is usually on the high side(I have hypertension so I always check sodium content) of most commercial ones, but it does have healthy acidophillus(sp?) If the site does get a message board I'll bet it will be busy. The new book will probably bring about a 'crop' of new ?s also.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 06:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

I find it interesting that in the new book she says that you shouldn't get all your carbs from fruit, which is pretty much what I do. I guess this is in the old book too, but it really stood out in the new one.

I'm still trying to reconcile this with all the stuff I've read about the non-necessity and even harmfulness of eating grains. What do you think?

On a more general note, the new book is leaving me the impression that balancing all these hormones through diet is a very complicated procedure. How do you know if you're really balancing everything? Is anyone grappling with that?

I don't seem to have symptoms of adrenal-gland burnout or insulin resistance, but I guess I'm not sure.

Sheldon
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 15:42

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

One of the things I got when I read the section on Insulin Sensitive with Healthy Adrenal Glands was that you can be in this group and still need to heal and have weight to lose or other minor health problems.

Without testing, I think I am in the Insulin Resistant with Healthy Adrenal Glands group. That means on the carb front I am supposed to have 20 grams of real carbs at each meal and snack. Wow! I'm going to try that for a while and see what happens, but I don't know.

I don't know that fixing your "condition" is so complicated, but figuring out what group you are in is. Also, when she is talking about the different healing plans, she finally talks about degrees of resistance and burn-out. During the beginning part of the book she pretty much implies you are or you aren't.

And as to grains, Sheldon: I am still very leary of grains, especially wheat. I have tried eating wheat toast and wound up with increased acid reflux, which BTW has never gone away completely for me. However, I am going to try adding in some rice, potatoes, corn tortillas, and oatmeal.

The one thing I have been enjoying, however, since I read PPLP, is their Paleolithic Punch. And I have a variation that I really like. I make it with 4 ounces of mixed berries (frozen) and 4 ounces of yogurt instead of water. It works out to 20 grams of carbs and is a great balanced snack. And I don't need to add all those things they add to smoothies in the stores. Another favorite snack for me is hummus with celery, I make my own.

So, I'm going to try following TSPII "to the letter" for a while and see how things go. I expect I will wind up modifying it to suit me.

;-Deb