Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Bread Pudding

I dont remember if I got this off another low carb website or not, I just copy and paste all the good sounding recipes. I think from now on I'll type in the source and the author too...Wish I could give credit where credit is due...Anyways I tried this this morning with a lil butter and it was SOOO good. I even had a lil taste before it was cooked. MMM!! I may try it uncooked without the egg..dont wanna get sick...

CINNAMON BREAD PUDDING

1/3 cup cream
1/3 cup water
1 T butter
1 egg
4 pkgs Splenda
3/4 t cinnamon
dash cloves, nutmeg, salt
2 cups cubed low-carb bread *
Preheat oven 350. Heat milk and butter in microwave til butter melted; cool slightly. Beat egg til foamy; mix in other ingredients except bread. Mix milk mixture and egg mixture; add bread and stir. Spoon into ungreased 1 1/2 qt. Casserole. Place casserole dish in roasting pan and add 1" hot water into roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 min, til knife inserted comes out clean.

Total: 14 carbs
3 fiber (11 NET carbs)
1018 cal
105 fat
50 protein
Serves 3 ~ 3.7 carbs
339 cal
35 fat
17 protein.

I think even nasty tasting bread would be good in this. I used Low Carb Depot Soy Bread and it came out fine.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/115/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

This sounds great! It sounds like that Mexican dessert dish: called
Capriotada?? Something like that: But they add moz cheese and cheddar cheese and some nuts with raisins.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 17:43

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

I wanted to let you know, I made this and didn't tell the DH and DS that it was lc. Well, they loved it! My DS actually ate most of it and he is the pickiest 9 yr old I've ever seen. Thank you so much for the recipe!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 10:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

I have a sweet variation of bread pudding very close to this one, but I thought some of you might also like a savory bread pudding recipe...suitable for lunch or dinner or even breakfast as a side with eggs. It's adapted for low carb from a recipe that appeared in "Vegetarian Times" a few years ago.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Savory Cheese Bread Pudding

Recipe By : Gaelen
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : vegetarian, low carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 eggs
3/4 cup half and half
2 teaspoons dry mustard
pinch dried thyme
4 slices Arnold Carb Counting Bread -- (6g ECC/slice)
4 ounces Belgioioso(r) Four Cheese Shred -- shredded=1 cup

Melt the butter and saute the onions about 10 minutes over medium heat, until the onions are golden.

Beat together the eggs, half and half, the spices and the salt and pepper.

Cube the bread slices; you'll have just under 4 cups of bread cubes. Layer half in the bottom of a buttered 8x3in. loaf pan. Top the bread layer with half the sauteed onions, then with about one third of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers, but don't add the final cheese layer yet.

Pour the egg and half-n-half mixture over the bread mixture, making sure that all of the bread pieces are soaked in the custard. Add more half-n-half if necessary to cover. Top with the remaining third of the shredded cheese. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes while you preheat the oven.

Lightly cover the loaf pan with a tent of foil and bake 30 minutes in a moderate oven (350 degrees.) After 30 minutes, remove the foil cover and bake until the top is golden brown. Serve warm or cold.

Recipe can be doubled or tripled. The bread doesn't need to be stale, as many bread pudding recipes call for. Lower carb bread or higher carb cheese will change the net carbs per serving information. If you can't get Arnold Carb Counting Bread, any reduced calorie/diet (40 calories per slice) bread will work. Most 'diet' breads will only add 1 carb per slice to the recipe; Beefsteak Light (diet) Rye would be very good here. Belgioioso(r) Four Cheese Shred is a combination of Asiago, Fontina, Parmesan and Provolone; if you can't get that, any of those cheeses, shredded, will work. You could also try a swiss or a cheddar.

Description:
"vegetarian, low carb"
Yield:
"1 loaf"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving : 251 Calories; 19g Fat (63.5% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 157mg Cholesterol; 488mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Enjoy!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 11:38

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks Gaelen! I copied this and will try it!