Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 18:51
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Post-menopausal weight loss to near goal: What about subcataneous belly/back fat?

In a podcast with Jimmy Moore about her new low carb book "Diet 101," Jenny Ruhl says that during menopause a layer of fat often develops under a woman's skin of her torso (subcataneous fat) and that this is rarely lost when the woman loses weight. Her basis for this statement is not a scientific study, but is observations of herself and of other women on the internet who have lost weight after menopause. She says that much of this fat remains even if the post-menopausal woman reaches her goal weight and that it is almost impossible to lose.

I'm curious as to whether women here who lost the bulk of their excess weight after menopause and reached goal or near goal have also experienced this.

I'm 55 years old and believe that I am finally post-menopausal as my last period was over a year ago. I've lost about 25 pounds in the last year and am almost at a BMI of less than 25, which would be in the "normal" weight range. I could still stand to lose another 10-20 pounds, however. I have a layer of fat that I can feel under my skin on my belly, back, and ribs. In 2002-2004, when I was about 5 pounds heavier than my present weight, this subcataneous fat wasn't there. It's only appeared in the past few years and, so far, it hasn't gone away with my recent weight loss. Abdominal exercises aren't helping it either, although my belly in general is getting smaller with exercise.

I'm hoping that there are post-menopausal women here who can tell me that their subcataneous fat did go away or reduce substantially.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 19:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think that's common for formerly fat people in general. I know I've seen folks without their shirts that have lost loads of weigh and there's still quite a lot of subcutaneous fat that makes the skin drape oddly.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 20:18
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Belly fat and menopause......

Fat is extremely estrogenic, particularly belly fat. We already know that from all the threads and posts about someones period going wonky as they lose weight.

So why do perimenopausal and menopausal women seem to overnight develop the "meno-pot"? As the ovaries begin to diminish and stop their production of estrogen the body because it is a great evolutionary survivor recognizes that the body is becoming low if not depleted in estrogen. The body can't make the ovaries work any more so the body develops a nice layer of fat....belly fat....which is estrogenic. Mildy estrogenic, but still estrogenic such the same. This belly fat never is able to produce estrogen like the ovaries, but it will try. Usually getting bigger as menopause progresses.

Does this happen to everyone....no, but more often than not, take a closer look at menopausal women--even if they are extremely skinny, they still may have a "menopot".

Hormone replacement can help but it doesn't resolve it.

I'm 52. Using bHRT for the past 3 years. My menopot is smaller than it was 40 pounds ago, but I still have one. Sometimes you just have to accept....I'm NEVER going to have the body that I had when I was 30...today...I can accept that.

HTH

Lisa

PS--I say....wear clothes that flatter and have a man that likes to rest his head on it

Last edited by cnmLisa : Wed, Jun-20-12 at 22:21. Reason: Typo! A big one!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 20:41
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Oy......such a hot topic for me.
I'm now 62 yrs old, started my weight loss this last time at 54 yrs and hit menopause officially that year. So, I've been in menopause for 8 yrs now. I now have a menopot that I didn't have prior...and its getting bigger.

I also had to hernia surgery this past February. The surgeon told me that fat had migrated from my back into my groin and pushed through a weakness in the wall. I gave him permission to take as much fat as he could when he fixed the hernia.
So although I keep my weight consistent, my body is changing. I do Pilates twice a week, working my core hard.
Let me just say this....getting old SUCKS!
Sorry if this doesn't help you but it is my honest experience.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 21:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

There must be a reason why this happens.

I have to wonder biologically what is going on.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 22:21
Every day is day one

BF:

Oh...BTW....I forgot to add.

After my last slew of blood and saliva tests.... I AM OFFICIALLY MENOPAUSAL.

It wasn't a surprise but it was a bit of a shock to read it on the lab report. Yep. FSH and LH is officially in the crapper.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 22:28
Every day is day one

BF:

Ok--here's a good example. I hope it's as apparent in the pics as it is in real life.

Me--May 2011

Me--Feb 2012.

Look at the roll I've acquired in like 9 months. Weight is pretty much stable at 143-145. But....the clincher here is that since Fall of last year I've been dealing with some major hormonal issues--I didn't even think to think about needing to adjust my bHRT. It got so bad that I 3 weeks ago I was like I need to have labs done....and low and behold menopause--the hormone issues and the aquisition of some abdominal fat was my bodies way of telling me...girlfriend...your ovaries have failed and you need a hormone adjustment. I wasn't listening...I thought it was just work and stress (although the output of high levels of cortisol will also contribute to belly fat). I'm working as we speak with my compounder to adjust my hormone replacement.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-12, 05:28
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Thank you for the honest replies.

I think you look great in both photos, Lisa. But, I can see the small roll that you're referring to in the bottom photo.

I'd been thinking that if only I'd lost weight before menopause, this new fat wouldn't be an issue. But, from Judy's and Lisa's responses, I see that it probably wouldn't have mattered. Fat would have redistributed with menopause anyway.

I'd forgotten about the term "menopot." I'd never really looked into how the menopot fat was distributed. I'd have guessed that it was visceral fat, around the organs. (I already have plenty of visceral fat because of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance, plus a strong genetic disposition towards being apple shaped.) From what Lisa said and what I read last night, I now see that much of the menopot is subcataneous fat. At least subcataneous fat has fewer negative health consequences than visceral fat.

I agree with Judy about growing older. I just don't like this! (But, since I went wheat-free in February 2012, I at least have much less joint pain than I did 10 years ago.)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-12, 13:59

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Look at the roll I've acquired in like 9 months. Weight is pretty much stable at 143-145. But....the clincher here is that since Fall of last year I've been dealing with some major hormonal issues--I didn't even think to think about needing to adjust my bHRT. It got so bad that I 3 weeks ago I was like I need to have labs done....and low and behold menopause--the hormone issues and the aquisition of some abdominal fat was my bodies way of telling me...girlfriend...your ovaries have failed and you need a hormone adjustment. I wasn't listening...I thought it was just work and stress (although the output of high levels of cortisol will also contribute to belly fat). I'm working as we speak with my compounder to adjust my hormone replacement.

I find this all highly interesting! I guess I need to quit looking forward to and wishing for menopause!

This is slightly off topic...but what does one do if they can't take HRT's? I've been told that those who take coumadin/warfarin are not able to.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-12, 15:00
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I find this all highly interesting! I guess I need to quit looking forward to and wishing for menopause!

This is slightly off topic...but what does one do if they can't take HRT's? I've been told that those who take coumadin/warfarin are not able to.

Start exercising now.
Sorry but if you want to keep your muscle, thats what you need to do.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 22:10
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Start exercising now.
Sorry but if you want to keep your muscle, thats what you need to do.

^^^^This.
Yep. Sorry to say, you don't get muscle by wishing it.

And in terms of HRT and blood thinners...for someone like yourself who is already at risk for blood clots, hormone replacement is probably a NO because there is an increase risk of blood clots with exogenous (outside) hormone therapy. And just so you know, don't buy into the hype that you can take "natural" things like herbs and supplements...remember...if they mimic estrogen they will have the same type of effect on clotting.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 23:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:

And in terms of HRT and blood thinners...for someone like yourself who is already at risk for blood clots, hormone replacement is probably a NO because there is an increase risk of blood clots with exogenous (outside) hormone therapy. And just so you know, don't buy into the hype that you can take "natural" things like herbs and supplements...remember...if they mimic estrogen they will have the same type of effect on clotting.

Thank you for your response, Lisa. I wasn't really concerned with the whole menopot phenomenon. I think it is normal and natural for women to become more rounded and as you said, my man likes it!

My concern has been about the emotional aspects and whether the "conventional" advice I've been given is true. I'm worried that I'll turn into a raging b*$%~ without HRT's. And I wondered if the advice about peeps on warfarin not taking them was similar to the conventional wisdom about eating whole grains.

I guess I will have to experience menopause the way my ancestors did - with no drug therapy. We'll see how that goes....
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 06:35
Getting Healthy!

BF:

I haven't used hormone replacement of any kind. Other than the menopot and a few hot flashes (not many and early on), I haven't had any problems with menopause. As far as I know, I haven't had any mood swings or emotional issues that were out of the ordinary.

So, you might do just fine without HRT, freckles.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 07:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

I was going to ask you about this because I found out I have a gene that predisposes me to having DVT and both my mother and brother had it. Someone else was trying to tell me that "natural" estrogen wouldn't be an issue, but that just didn't sound right to me.

Fortunately my peri symptoms have been really, really easy so far.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 08:33

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I agree with Judy - it does really suck!! My fat took a major shift the past couple of months. Sad.

I've been thinking of doing IF but then I get mixed info on it regarding women.

Has JUDD worked for you Nancy??