Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 14:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/135/130 Female 162cm
BF:
Progress:
Default can atkins cause my candida symptoms?

hi all
i am hoping tha someone can help me as i am a little confused! over the past few years i have found that i respond negatively to excess sugar and often have 'brain fog' depression, IBS and thrush symptoms. i have found this is much better when i eat less pasta, rice, refined sugars etc although overthe back of last year by diet/way of eating went AWOL and i reverted to a lot of carbs!
as a kick start i have just finished 2 weeks of the atkins induction diet (less than 20 grams carbs a day) - i feel that i have stuck to this very well and pretty sure that i havent exceeded 20 grams. unfortunately during this past week (the second week) i seem to have exacerbated symtoms of candidasis - i have had muscular aches, headaches, cold symptoms, itchy skin, fatigue, poor concentration, sore throat and thrush again which had previously settled!
could atkins have caused this or is it coincidence and i have had a cold?
any input would be much appreciated as i am now debating my next dietry step!
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 14:45

Plan: Atkins/Hhcg
Stats: 155/115/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 133%

Nope. Atkins won't do that. It is the herxheimer reaction that is doing that. Just stick with it and you will be OK. Some actually call that the "induction flu" and it is normal. OK, not the thrush part but the other things, yes. Make sure you take your antifungals. I am assuming you are taking something like oil of oregano or coconut oil or olive leaf extract to help with your fight with candida......
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 15:13
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome to the forums!

Be sure to check out our Candida Yeast & IBS forum.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-09, 05:21
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

Welcome!

I can't imagine that the yeast would have anything to feed on with Atkins.

Good job on getting through induction!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 03:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/135/130 Female 162cm
BF:
Progress:

thanks for the responses
thats what i thought so was obviously a little confused! i am wondering whether i had maybe overdone it on the eggs as i have been eating a lot of those and am aware that candida can be a result of some dairies including eggs and cheese - i will steer clear of these for a while and see how i respond!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 04:13

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Try a caprylic acid supplement to clear up any yeast problems from the inside. If you want info on the product names, send me a private message, or pop into my journal. I don't have time right now to write a long message, but could do it later.

Click on the green journal button at the bottom of this post and you'll be transported straight into my journal. I have a copy of "The Coconut Oil Miracle" here at home and can copy out some of the products he mentions for getting rid of candida.

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 05:06

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Are you eating foods that you were not eating before? If so, you might be allergic to them.

Also, I find that going too low on carbs lowers my immunity, which, of course, can trigger symptoms of Candida, cold sores, etc. While I do well cutting out yeast and grains and refined sugars, I don't do well cutting out too many natural carbs.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 12:10

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

I know Atkins' had a modified version of his diet to fit an anti-candida protocol.

I imagine like everyone else mentions this is just "die-off" but if you're consuming a lot of aged cheeses, vinegars, etc. maybe cut back on those.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 03:00

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Yes, cheeses and products like bacon that are allowed on Atkins are horrible for Candida. Artificial sweeteners (even Splenda) aren't good, either.