Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 07:34

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%
Default Achilles Injury Advice

Somehow I strained my achilles tendon during one of my workouts. I worked pretty hard last Sunday afternoon and I did some calf raises, I did a hard Pilates class on Monday followed by weights on Tuesday morning. I’ve been hobbling around ever since, unable to do any cardio and skipping a leg day. I’m a little better today though. I did get up this morning and lifted weights; upper body only. Hopefully I’ll be healed enough to work my legs by the first of the week.

Any advice on coming back from such a strain and how quickly I can get back going? I guess I can skip cardio for a week or two but I'm already missing my squats and leg presses and other weight bearing exercises like dead lifts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I have a chronic soleus tendonitis that flares up periodically when I work out too hard. It all started with a bad slide into second base and a month on crutches for my effort....

Only thing that works for me is heat (docs will say ice but that makes mine hurt more) and rest.

Take a break from cardio and leg workouts until it doesn't hurt any more - do gentle stretches several times a day in the meantime (and forever). It takes time to heal and you can't rush it. If it's really bad, Ibuprofin will help.

http://www.spinalhealth.net/inj-ach.html

All the best, Julie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 06:59

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%

I took it pretty easy for most of the week and it got better each day. I did bicycle yesterday and that did not seem to hurt. I'm still a little tight this morning but most the soreness is gone.

I can't say I really rested my ankle through the week, but I tried to limit any stress.

It was such a nice day yesterday I just had to ride. No way I was going to sit around with my leg propped up.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Cleave, it has been a while since you posted this, but I have been nursing this same condition for over a year. I think you will find that serios stretching of the calf muscle and achilles tendon seems to help. I was doing PT for mine for a while. Another alternative if you are still having problems is Orthotripsy, which is a non-invasive treatment, that is done under total anesthetic. I had this done for Plantar Fasciitis and it worked wonderfully.