Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 23:51

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Farewell Olive Oil for Cooking..!!!!, and Goodbye Olive Oil for Salads?

My diet journey has become more clean every day and feeling more "alive" at the same time. The left items I took out where Pork rings and mayo. Now is time to talk about Olive Oil for my salads. I totally stopped the Olive Oil for cooking (as we already point out in other posts) and use only Coconut butter/oil as the official oil for cooking. But now I can see that Olive Oil on my salad might indeed stop me from loosing.

My normal dressing is this:
1 tbs Olive oil
1 tbs lemon or Ginger fresh juice
1 clove of raw garlic
some part of a Yolk egg
Pepper
Little almost none “Celtic Salt”

I am willing to eat my salad without oils for a while until I get my body starting on loosing weight, or does anybody here do Flax Seed oil instead?

The next concern is about my diet becoming Low-Fat not by trying but just by the fact that I don’t eat nuts at this point.

i.e.

Morning eggs in coconut oil
Lunch meat fry in coconut oil
Dinner Fatty meat fry in coconut oil
Salads (with oil?)
Flax seed Seeds fresh grind

The eggs do absorb the whole coconut oil lets just say that I put 1 spoon of this coconut oil in my fry pan and the whole oil will be added into the egg itself This will be a total of 100 fat calories in it coming just from fat.
With my meats, then is different as they only absorb like half of the spoon, this equals like only 50 cal. from fat coming from the coconut, this is extra fat from the already meat selected.

1. My daily intake of Fat% a day will come up only arround 55% depending on the quality of my meat, this is more PaleoDiet without me trying to eat lean meat. I assumed my fat intake might be low because I am not eating any nuts at this point in the diet in order to accelerate loosing weight.

2. Now you can see why if I stop the olive oil in my salad, this might lower even more my numbers, so what is it? Olive oil in the salad dressing or none? At the end what will stop me from loosing less fat in my day or the fact that little part of that fat come from olive oil?
If I forget about PaleoDiet book or NeanderThin approach and go with my instinc of what must have been the way they truly ate back then, I don’t think they had oils for the salads/veggies, or oils to cook their food, I might believed they used the fat from the animal they kill and totally enjoy more that part of the animal, but I don’t think they where saying.. push yourself to more fat more fat more fat, wouldn’t the body should talk to us and say; this is enough amout of fat I feel full we are fine… whatever number this will come up.. ( as long as we are not talking “avoiding” fats)

Why have I become like “worry” about not having a lot of fat in my meals? I don’t want to do something that a month from today people will say… well dear “cucu” the problem this second month you didn’t lost another pound was because you didn’t had enough fat in your diet…lol

As you can see I have been a month here in the forum and not one pound off, so you can understand why I am so picky at this point… any comments?, ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:39

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Cucu,

First of all, I know English is not your native language, so I'm not criticizing you here. I just want to make a correction so as to help you improve your English. The verb is "lose" not "loose." "Loose" is an adjective which means the opposite of "tight."

I was the one who said that olive oil may make it difficult to lose weight. That's because it contains long chain fatty acids. The same would logically follow for flax oil. Coconut oil and other saturated fats contain medium and short chain fatty acids. It doesn't look like a tablespoon of olive oil is too much, but I guess it depends on how many salads you eat. My personal feeling is that the flax seeds are not necessary at this point and that between the coconut oil and the meat you are getting sufficient fat. I'm not a big fan of flax seeds--if you're concerned about getting enough omega-3 EPA and DHA my preference is cod liver oil. Others may disagree.

Two other things occurred to me. First, what time do you go to bed at night and how much sleep do you get?

Second, you might want to do a Atkins-type induction (severely limit carbs) to try to jump start your weight loss.

How about posting exactly what you're eating for each meal and someone may spot something.

Howard
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:54

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Cucu: Olive oil in the amounts you are using shouldn't present a problem. I don't see many carbs in that menu you presented except for the salads, but you didn't mention how many salads and what was in them. As Howard mentioned, please post an exact menu. Perhaps you are eating too few carbs not too many.

Also check out this excerpt I came across on the Weston Price Foundation website in an article on Treating Diabetes and other insulin related ailments:

"There are three other nutritional factors in indigenous diets that are helpful for diabetics. First, the diets were rich in trace minerals. Modern science has shown us that trace mineral deficiencies—particularly deficiencies in zinc, vanadium and chromium—inhibit insulin production and absorption. Without vanadium, sugar in the blood cannot be driven into the cells and chromium is necessary for carbohydrate metabolism and the proper functioning of the insulin receptors. Zinc is a co-factor in the production of insulin. Traditional foods were grown in mineral-rich soil, contained mineral-rich bone broth and salt, and included mineral-rich water or beverages made with such water. In the modern diet, the best sources of zinc are red meats and shell fish, particularly oysters. Extra virgin unfiltered olive oil supplies vanadium, and chromium is found in nutritional yeast, molasses and organ meats like liver."

Please note the mention of olive oil.

Here's the link for the complete article: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernd...s/diabetes.html

Last edited by Hellistile : Wed, May-19-04 at 09:02.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Cucu, The verb is "lose" How about posting exactly what you're eating for each meal and someone may spot something.

Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
Cucu: I don't see many carbs in that menu you presented except for the salads, http://www.westonaprice.org/modernd...s/diabetes.html

First I have to thank you two, because since I started posting in this part of the forum you two have pointing me on the right direction, first starting by books follow by more precise details and now even "english" clases. Well I have cure many things by that, like my bathroom problems, there are no more cravings, my mood is more stable, the whole day feels very good, but the weight is not coming down yet.

Well here we go:

Food:

Breakfast
2 whole eggs
1 white eggs
Veggies (like green pepper, celery, spinach)
All made an omelet fried in 1 spoon of Coconut oil.

Lunch
4 or 5 oz of Meat (Fatty red meat, chicken with skins, tuna, sometimes shrimps, lobsters, cod fish and pork with fat; this are normally my options of meat)
Salad 1 bag of lettuce (the ones that come already pre-wash, organic kind, it says in the lable that there is 3.5 portions of 15 calories each, 5 carbs per portion 2 fiber per portion)
Salad dressing (olive oil, lemon 1 clove of garlic)
1 spoon of coconut oil where I fry the meat.

Dinner
The same as lunch plus
2 spoons of Flax Seeds grind

Fitday report this as:

1200 calories a day (more or less)
35g of Carbs a day (around this)
15g of Fiber a day
50 to 60% fat intake.
100g of Protein a day (more or less)

Other important points

- Condiments are pepper and some celtic salt on my salad.
- I stop eating after 6 pm.
- I drink 1 gallon of water a day
- Nocturnal Problem After I go to bed at 11:00 I get up ALWAYS at 1 am and eat, this is a life struggle, I eat like 150 calories of any of the leaf-overs of the day, why? is hard to stop myself since I am half-sleep and is only when I am at the kitchen that I fully understand what I am doing, now that my blood sugar is more stable I have seen little improvements on being able to stop me from eating, not allway a succes do, but even do I do this, I always it the good food and only arround 50- to 150 calories, Hoping to get this number to "0".

Possible Medical Conditions affecting this process.

PCOS the day I started this diet a month a go the same day my new gynecologist-endocrinologist got all my test results back from possible problems happening.

Insulin Resistant Test……I was normal
Glucose 1hr. Test………. I was normal not even pre-diabetic signs
Thyroid......................I was on normal range with the pill I do take for Hypothyroid

The Pill…. She started me on the pill to treat my irregular cycles and this past 4 days I felt very intense headaches, dizziness, nausea etc.. and just this morning I went to see her again, she changed the brand pill to one with less “estrogen” that will help me with this symptoms and possible weight gain from this last pill.

She also send me more advance test, like “Cortisol levels” and some ultrasound to see if nothing else could be in the way. I hope with this new pill and the little changes I have been doing here on the diet I could be starting to lose some pounds. Any other ideas? ahh and I do exercise 6 times a week except this week as someone said that I might have been overdoing it.. so I am just doing now 4 times a week.

Last edited by cucu : Wed, May-19-04 at 17:32.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:22

BF:

Cucu:
Fitday told you that your stats for the day were:
1300 calories a day
15g of Carbs a day
15g of Fiber a day
50 to 60% fat intake.
100g of Protein a day (more or less)

According to these stats you are getting 0 carbs per day (15 grams carbs minus 15 grams fiber) and only 1300 calories. You are in starvation mode and this could be causing the dizziness, nausea, etc. That is why you are also waking up in the middle of the night hungry. You need to increase your calories a bit and carbs quite a bit. Snacks between meals would be good and a light snack (hard boiled egg, handful of nuts, nut-butter on celery, herbal tea) an hour or two before bedtime as well.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:26

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Ok, this is just me. I have to eat a lot of fat before I start losing weight. It is not the same for everyone, it is true for me. If I don't have enough fat, I end up hungry at the end of the day and try to snack. I eat a lot of my fat at breakfast. It seems to work better for me. It took me months to figure this out.

One thing I do, is make changes slowly to more fully see what causes what to happen. That way I can pinpoint what changes have worked for me.

I tripled my Omega 3 (fish oil) a couple of weeks ago and things have been getting better.

I use olive oil as one of my fats quite often. It hasn't caused me problems. Marty
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
You are in starvation mode and this could be causing the dizziness, nausea, etc. .

I made a mistake while writing the post, I ment NET CARBS.
The Fitday numbers are an estimate of the past week, normally I get like 35g of Carbs, but 15g. of them come from Fiber.. that is why you end up with a 15g. of Net Carbs.

I will add more carbs to start feeling with more energy, and have some snacks... thanks I hope this will finally get me started..
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:44

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cucu, remember that your body is repairing itself with this new way of eating. Your bones and muscles certainly are adding bulk. Therefore, don't judge yourself by the scale. Do you feel better, happier, less tired? Those are better signs to go by than the fact that you have not lost any weight. Remember, too, that the pills your doctor puts you on artificially stimulate your body to do certain things. I don't know what your situation is, as I have not read many of your posts, but you won't have a *real* period while on birth control pills. It won't help you to repair your systems.

As for your fat consumption, calories in do not necessarily equal calories out. Think of natural fats as being full of nutrients that your body needs. Your skin and organs need fat. Do not fall into the mindset that because fat is high in calories, it is bad. Your body needs fat for repair and rebuilding.

Considering your calories, do not eat too little. This will cause your metabolism to slow way down. Your body probably needs 1200-1600 calories per day just to survive. This is the minimum you should eat. If you consume less, your body holds on to every ounce it can.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 07:56
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

I've not done very well on my weight loss this time around, so I wouldn't presume to lecture. But, yes, I think you need to eat more. More calories, more carbs, more fibre. A little more fruit in your diet might be good?
Why are you using a mix of whole eggs and eggs whites? Eat the lot!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 09:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
Why are you using a mix of whole eggs and eggs whites? Eat the lot!

Well I was thinking on doing eggs with veggies (as some kind of little cookies stick together) for snacks, but if I do this I will end up eating like 6 full eggs a day, I thought that was too much yolks a day, what do you think? Somewhere in the book said that Paleo people didn't ate too much eggs as they where hard to find, plus adding the old fact of cholesterol rummors, I thought well 2 full eggs a day and the rest just the whites..

About eating more, yes I agree with you I am adding more... Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 17:49
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

I suspect that eggs were a MAJOR source of food stuffs. Bird populations were ENORMOUS.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 19:47
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
I suspect that eggs were a MAJOR source of food stuffs. Bird populations were ENORMOUS.

I agree with that too. Eggs would have been a major and easily accessible source of food although they would have only been around for a short time I would think.
Not like we have things now.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:55

BF:

See, is good to have this forums, because when I read a book I kind of get very “by the book” kind of girl and then it gets in my way, yesterday I enjoy a lot of more eggs… thanks.

What do you guys think about “Avocados” as source of oil for the salads, not avocado oil but spread the natural avocado with your hands into the salad, kind of like tossing it. Would that be a better source of oil?…
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:58

BF:

Avocado is a very good source of nutrients and fat and should be used liberally.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 15:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopoles
I have to eat a lot of fat before I start losing weight.

One thing I do, is make changes slowly to more fully see what causes what to happen.

I tripled my Omega 3 (fish oil) a couple of weeks ago and things have been getting better.

I am taking this advice with me, I have a problem with doing changes all together that then I don't have a clue who trigger what...

And my fat really neads to be increase... thanks.. but what fish oil brand do you buy?