Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-15, 16:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/240/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default anyone over 35 without the wiggly jiggles?

i lost around 50 pounds in my 20's and i don't remember getting the wiggly jiggles...i'm 35 now and i've lost about 60 pounds so far....and i notice that my skin is loose and my former jelly is now....looser jelly. is there anyone that's getting a little older that doesn't have loose skin?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-15, 20:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Have you lost it recently, and/or quickly? It will tighten up some, but possibly not as much as in your 20's.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 08:57

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I hate to be the one to break it to you but there is almost zero chance you can go from 315 to 140 without a significant amount of loose skin. Some people do a lot better than others, but it's still going to be there.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 09:25

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am 47 and have lost 77 pounds in the last 9 months. I don't have loose skin. I have 33 more to lose or 110 total. So that may change. I have been doing yoga and some strength training since the start of this WOE. I also started dry brushing my skin a couple months ago. Not sure if it is helping or not, but thought it couldn't hurt.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 10:48
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I hate to be the one to break it to you but there is almost zero chance you can go from 315 to 140 without a significant amount of loose skin. Some people do a lot better than others, but it's still going to be there.

Janine is exactly right about this. Sorry to say.

At your age, after the weight is gone, you'll be able consider getting a lot of the loose skin taken off via surgery. It will probably be covered by medical insurance as it will be a health issue for you.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 12:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Janine is exactly right about this. Sorry to say.

At your age, after the weight is gone, you'll be able consider getting a lot of the loose skin taken off via surgery. It will probably be covered by medical insurance as it will be a health issue for you.

That makes it sounds scary. I don't think it's often a health issue, although you can certainly find doctors who will spin it that way for the insurance companies. I have a lot of loose skin and it poses no health problem to me.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 12:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
That makes it sounds scary. I don't think it's often a health issue, although you can certainly find doctors who will spin it that way for the insurance companies. I have a lot of loose skin and it poses no health problem to me.

When those who reach goal and have lost more than 100 lbs, they will very often have the waist skin apron that does pose a health issue. That is what I'm talking about.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 14:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
When those who reach goal and have lost more than 100 lbs, they will very often have the waist skin apron that does pose a health issue. That is what I'm talking about.

I am a TDC'er who's reached goal of losing 100 pounds and I have that and it doesn't pose a health issue at all. I would certainly never undergo surgery for it. If you eat lots of sweets and develop skin infections, things like that, it can turn into a health problem for sure but I think that is more of a rarity in a healthy person. I am also very physically active and it's no problem.

It's certainly a wonderful thing for some people to have the surgery for reasons other than health problems, but it's not an automatic thing that it would cause a health issue.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 17:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/240/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

thanks for all the replys! i didn't imagine that the loose skin would completely go away, just wondering to what degree it did tighten up for those in the same boat?
even though i work in a hospital, my insurance is crap, so i doubt i could get it covered.
honestly, i'm not extreamely concerned about it, i just want to be healthy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 18:30
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I am 52 and I've lost nearly 200 pounds of 250 that I needed to lose. The fat I have left is pretty giggly. My inner thighs, my butt, and lower belly area have some saggy skin. I pretty much expected that. But there is still a lot of fat there, too. It is impossible to tell how much lose skin I will be left with. But to be honest, I kind of expected worse. The skin on my upper harms and chest seems to be recovering fairly well. After seeing those extreme weight loss shows, I half expected my lose skin to be hanging down to my knees by now. However it turns out, what will be will be. I know I will enjoy having the weight off. If need be, I'll consider having extra skin removed in a few years. But I want to give it a chance to recover as much as it will on its own.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Oct-05-15 at 07:14.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-05-15, 07:06

Plan: exercise / atkins / IF
Stats: 315/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Less and less!
Progress: 94%

That is a GREAT ATTITUDE! Love it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 10:01

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I have a lot of stretch marks so my skin won't ever tighten if I continue to lose. The first time I went from 300 to 160 - I had a lot of jiggly skin. But I was in my early 20's and didn't have children. Now I'm in my late 30's and two kids down I don't have a hope in hell of tight skin. LOL

TBH, at one time I was all gung ho to get my extra stomach skin removed as I've never had a flat stomach IN MY LIFE, and really wanted to know how it felt. However, three years ago I lost my neice during that EXACT surgery after she worked so hard to lose 130 lbs. She hated that apron and wanted her flat stomach too. She was 26 when she died - finally at the size she wanted - but without that extra flap of skin she hated so much. But what good did it do her?

My point is - I couldn't jeopardize my life or my quality of life should there be a bad complication. I am really content these days and have two children to raise.

I have spanx to smooth the bumps, and good health to enjoy in the meantime
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-15, 18:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
I have a lot of stretch marks so my skin won't ever tighten if I continue to lose. The first time I went from 300 to 160 - I had a lot of jiggly skin. But I was in my early 20's and didn't have children. Now I'm in my late 30's and two kids down I don't have a hope in hell of tight skin. LOL

TBH, at one time I was all gung ho to get my extra stomach skin removed as I've never had a flat stomach IN MY LIFE, and really wanted to know how it felt. However, three years ago I lost my neice during that EXACT surgery after she worked so hard to lose 130 lbs. She hated that apron and wanted her flat stomach too. She was 26 when she died - finally at the size she wanted - but without that extra flap of skin she hated so much. But what good did it do her?

My point is - I couldn't jeopardize my life or my quality of life should there be a bad complication. I am really content these days and have two children to raise.

I have spanx to smooth the bumps, and good health to enjoy in the meantime

That's awful to hear about your niece, incredibly heartbreaking. That is a huge reason I cannot even fathom taking that step. How are her parents doing with that loss? I can't imagine the devastation.

I have never had a flat stomach ever, either. Funny, it never really prevented me from doing a lot of things I love - swimming, being with men I find super good-looking, having a gaggle of beautiful kids, just generally enjoying myself.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 09:07

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

They are doing ok - they lost a daughter for a silly reason, so it was hard to come to terms with - oddly enough, they don't know how she got approved for the surgery as she had other health issues that should have barred her from having it. Those issues we think likely contributed to her death. She made it through the surgery but died a few days later. Essentially, the drains on the incisions were removed too quickly and then the draining was happening internally into her abdomen, which eventually led to a systemic infection she just couldn't fight off. We believe she couldn't fight that infection due to her other medical conditions. So not sure where or who to place the blame on. Lawyers are still arguing it out.

looking back, my tummy hasn't prevented a good life for me either - just I always wanted it gone straight for vanity reasons. Now it just doesn't matter.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 09:13

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

i see mine as well deserved battle scars on a war i am winning.