Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-15, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 306/291.4/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Newbie in 'da house!

Hey All, I was directed to this group by another member. I am a 47 y/o Canuck male and have struggled with my weight since I was about 13 (it's exhausting just thinking about it). I've gained and lost literally 100s of LBS over the years.

This is the first time I am trying a Low Carb High Fat WOE. I've been at it for about three weeks and have lost approx 15LBS. That's not really all that new for me as I could lose that doing a standard CICO menu. However, what is new is the lack of hunger or cravings. In the past, I have always been VERY hungry doing a straight calorie deficit diet but including carbs. So, I'm really happy about this aspect of LCHF and pray it continues.

As I am sure is the case for many (most?) on this forum I have no problem losing weight. It's the keeping it off thing that is the problem. In fact, it drives me nuts when others try to tell ME how to lose weight - especially Doctors who've seen you for two minutes and think they've got you pegged. People should be asking me how to lose weight, not the other way round. I'm sure everyone here could quickly and easily design a weight-loss plan for just about any body type. Each time I lose the weight I hope that it will be the last. That I will finally somehow change my life forever and keep on the right path. It seems crazy to do the same thing over and over and think you will have a different outcome. Nonetheless, to simply give up is not an option.

My approach to LCHF has been to cook myself a large breakfast (3 eggs scrambled in 1.5 TBS of whipping cream, 3 strips of bacon, 30g of cheese). Sometimes I substitute ham instead of bacon and sometimes I will use a cheese slice in place of cheddar. I use these to keep up some variety. I believe I'm consuming approx 500-550 calories at breakfast. With this I am very full and no longer need to eat lunch. I will have a small amount of protein at around 3pm (usually some almonds 140Calories) and that's because I will start getting a headache if I don't eat. I'm not really hungry and the almonds set me straight until dinner. When I get home from work I will have 8 shrimp with a tbsp of cocktail sauce (just about my only indulgence) and that takes any edge off my appetite. Then for dinner I will eat whatever protein my wife is making or grill myself a steak. Altogether I try to keep it around 1400 Calories for the day. I also try to get 8 glasses of water in me, but I need to work on this b/c I sometimes forget.

I haven't had any real side-effects from this WOE although the bathroom isn't what it used to be. Not sure if I need to be concerned, but for now I'm just living with the "changes" in that department. Nothing too extreme.

As always, I'm loving that my clothes are fitting better and that I can get back into some things that hadn't fit for awhile. Overall, feeling better and more energy. Until I started LCHF I was experiencing some acid reflux. This always happens when I eat poorly and clears up as soon as I get onto a proper diet. So, it's nice not waking up choking to death on my own bile.

Anyway, that was kind of a lot but I wanted to share and look forward to being a part of this group.

You can ask me anything, if you want.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-15, 19:11

Plan: <30 Net Carbs
Stats: 270/210/130 Female 5'4"
BF:51/45/ ???
Progress: 43%

Welcome!

The lack of hunger has remained for me, which is great. The better news is the headaches eventually go - it took me 5-6 weeks to really get adjusted. It's been worth it, and the idea of potentially having to repeat that long adjustment phase has kept me honest.

There's a huge amount of information on this forum, and lots of really good people too. Start looking around and settle in!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-07-15, 05:37
Registered Member

Stats: 306/291.4/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 12%

Thank you. I haven't really had any significant side-effects, so that's good. I'm just closing in on four weeks so I think I may be passed the worst of it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-15, 09:49

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Welcome! I am Canadian too eh?

You will find great support here.

For the bathroom issue, I take magnesium citrate tablets before bed. Helps with leg cramps, sugar cravings, and bathroom issues. They come in 150 mg tablets, I purchase the big bottle at Costco. I generally take between 300 and 450 mgs (2-3 tablets) depending on how the "go" has been going LOL.

For the headaches, you may need extra salt. The salt thread here. Read it even if headaches aren't an issue. Very informative ( thanks Nancy LC!!!!)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...210#post8626210

Best of luck to you
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-15, 06:45

Plan: Less than 30g carbs
Stats: 349/286.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi, just wanted to say hello and welcome. They're a great bunch of people on here, always helpful and supportive. I'm re-starting my low carb journey again and wouldn't go anywhere else for help and advice.

Keep on keeping on!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-15, 12:34

Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Sorry, I'm a bit late in replying! just saw this today...
As one Canadian TDC'er to another, welcome to the boards.
The support, the information, the fact that you can come here and talk, and ppl will listen, understand and offer advise is monumental... All the best, hope things continue to go well for you...