Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 17:34

Plan: Atkins - New Diet Rev
Stats: 189/181.6/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Cheating?

I assume cheating isn't OK on Atkins (Induction)? I plan to follow this restricted phase for a longer period of time than standard (but a lot of people do that). Do you indulge in regular pizza ever?

It kicks one out of ketosis but just wondering.

Best!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 19:08

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I don't think one meal will kick you out of ketosis, but the issue I have with cheating is that once I cheat, I find it easier to cheat again, and before I know it I am back to eating normally.

Track your weight every day. Pay careful attention after you cheat, and see how that affects your weight loss. If it stalls your loss or causes you to gain, you have your answer.

My advice would be to stay the course to the target weight. It should take you no more than 3 months to drop the 30.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 01:44

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cheating is one of those things where I suspect mileage may vary from one individual to another.

For me, I paid close attention to what happened whenever I had some pizza or a bowl of fried rice every now and then. These weren't so much deliberate cheats as they were cases of me being caught short of safe low carb options on certain days when certain other shops were shut for unexpected reasons, but I still saw them as opportunities for me to learn.

And learn I did. Every time I ate something wrong, I found that my weight loss would halt for about 3 or 4 days before slowly resuming again. Just one wrong meal was enough to cost me half a week's worth of progress. It's only cheating if you can get away with it, and I clearly couldn't at all.

So the lesson for me was pretty straightforward. As far as I'm concerned personally, there are no such things as cheats, there are only mistakes.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 04:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

"Regular" Pizza is the #1 missed food, but also the easiest to buy or make a LC substitute with no cooking skills. Press into a skillet ground beef, cheese, sausage, chicken, etc. Flip over when one side done. Top with a LC tomato sauce, veggies, spices, cheese. Cover and cook or finish under broiler. All of the above are the tasty parts of pizza anyway.

Many more pizza chains in the US now offer a crustless pizza in aluminum pan, take n bake Papa Murphy does too. Since you did Atkins last time; "Keto" menus, LC options, Keto/Paleo meal delivery plans, etc are sprouting up everywhere. If you are adamant about having it on a crust, the cauliflower or gluten-free crusts, while not perfect held together by some type of starch, are lower in carbs than dough.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 05:34
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

pizza... salty, tomatoey, cheesey, pepperoni goodness!!!
when i'm craving the stuff... I take a bunch of shredded cheese...
mozzarella, parmesan.. and put on parchment paper and then into the toaster oven... let it melt.. melt real gooey..
then take it out, and put all my favorite stuff on it.. sliced pepperoni, mushrooms, sliced olives.. add a ton of the mess!
put back into the toaster oven and let it melt, let the pepperoni sweat it's goodness all over the gooey cheese.
take it out before the cheese burns..

** then i take a fork, roll it into a burrito and eat it like a burrito.
that's it....... all your favorite toppings and no crust!

that's how i fix my pizza craving.
good luck to you!

i've learned that you don't need to cheat. just find alternatives. no cheating needed.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 05:42

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I only indulge in pizza, ice cream, cookies, cake, chips, dips, chocolate bars, candy of many varieties; Hot Tamales, chocolate covered coffee beans, 100,000 dollar bars, Skittles, Mike and Ikes, Reeses treats, saltwater taffy - donuts, baguettes, French Bread loaves, rice, spaghetti, burritos, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Wendy's, Smash Burgers, Matzo Ball Soup, Pad Thai, Spring Rolls, corn, potatoes, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Pad Kee Mao, Baked Alaska, Chocolate Dipping Fountains, pancakes, waffles, Fish and Chips, Corn Flakes, honey (the healthy sugar!), crepes, French Toast, Coconut Cream Pie, French Silk Pie, Cherry Pie, Apple Pie, Ruhbarb Pie - well pies in general I guess, tater tots, corn dogs, battered fish sticks, lasagna, manicotti, mashed potatoes, Doritos, Sun Chips, Good and Plenty (oops, I'll ready went over candy but i'll continue) Starburst Fruit Chews, Bubbs Daddy, Sugar Daddy, Long John, Captn' Crunch, Coco Puffs, Kellog's Frosted Flakes, chimichwuries, pasties, apples, oranges, bananas and pixie sticks when I decide to go off low carb periodically.

Ironically, all of these foods seem to mess with my mood, my health and in some indirect way seem to shrink my clothes.

I only "cheat" when I stop doing low carb, so it's not really cheating, it's just a decision. In my mind, cheating kind of implies fooling someone or taking unfair advantage of someone, situation or system. Hard to do with ones self unless I think.

EAT PIZZA, LEARN - Grav had a more level response mine is more from humor and personal experience.

You will do well.

ohh darn, I forgot to mention the popped corns, Popcorn regular, popcorn buttered, Carmel corn, cheesey corn, mix of carmel and cheese corn, chocolate covered pop corn, etc...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 07:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yeah, I've never cheated. I have changed my mind about what my exact eating plan is for five minutes at a time, and had regrets after.

Early on I might have decided to eat pizza a few times. A better option is to at least avoid the crust and just pull off the toppings. People around you may scowl at the "wasted" bread. You can't un-waste food by eating more of it than you need. You can always offer the bread to them, some hollow-legged teenager might actually take you up on the offer.

Apparently, "miseaten" is a word. Good enough for scrabble, good enough for me.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 09:22

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
pizza... salty, tomatoey, cheesey, pepperoni goodness!!!
when i'm craving the stuff... I take a bunch of shredded cheese...
mozzarella, parmesan.. and put on parchment paper and then into the toaster oven... let it melt.. melt real gooey..
then take it out, and put all my favorite stuff on it.. sliced pepperoni, mushrooms, sliced olives.. add a ton of the mess!
put back into the toaster oven and let it melt, let the pepperoni sweat it's goodness all over the gooey cheese.
take it out before the cheese burns..

** then i take a fork, roll it into a burrito and eat it like a burrito.
that's it....... all your favorite toppings and no crust!

that's how i fix my pizza craving.
good luck to you!

i've learned that you don't need to cheat. just find alternatives. no cheating needed.

I've forgotten about this! All ingredients now on my next shopping list! Wheeee! 🍕!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 13:48

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've been keto since it was called Atkins Induction in the 1980s or so.

If I cheat, say have one piece of cake, I'll gain a pound that day, and gain for two or three days after that until I get back into ketosis. It takes about a week to get back to my target weight.

One piece of cake, and an entire week of being heavier.

Needless to say, I don't do that often. Perhaps once a year on a very special occasion, and they I'll try to have it follow a high fat/protein meal and make the cake cheesecake or something like that.

Of course YMMV
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 14:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The last time I had cake at a special occasion involved Red Velvet cake (which I had never eaten in my life) that everyone was raving about. I tried a bite of the cake part and it had no taste whatsoever despite its intriguing colour. The icing had that Crisco aftertaste of commercial cakes. That was 3 years ago and I haven't been tempted by cake since. If I ever get a hankering for carrot cake, I just mix some cream cheese with vanilla & stevia so I can enjoy the best part (the icing) and stay on plan. I kill cookie dough cravings with butter, ground almonds, vanilla & stevia and stay on plan. Most regular desserts are too sickly sweet to me now.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 16:39

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Once a year on Thanksgiving I have a piece of pie. That’s it. As general rule I’m not in favor of poisoning myself.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 20:10

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Once a year on Thanksgiving I have a piece of pie.
I used to do that until I realized I only like the pumpkin, not the crust. So I divide a can of pureed pumpkin into portions that fit within my carb limit and freeze them. Add butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon for an intense pumpkin pie taste.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-09-19, 20:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Unfortunately I make a really good pie crust. Good enough that I don't eat commercial pies, and try to avoid pies made by most of my acquaintances (this is a good thing). But when I do make pies (Thanksgiving) I am not about to mess about, and just eat the filling. I am, however, able to just eat a small portion, and that's good. Lots of whipped cream, and a small sliver of pumpkin pie; I'm happy, and it is "cheat" that I am comfortable making. If I (or my husband or guests) need something pie like during the rest of the year I make a crumble, with nuts and almond flour
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-10-19, 04:18

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I don't eat the crust. Last year my granddaughter made me a small crustless pie. So all I really eat, when I say pie, is the filling.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-10-19, 06:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

" A moment on the lips, is forever on the hips." There is a reason for this saying...... just saying.

( Ive messed up more than a time or two; AND learned to make new options for desserts and pizza etc.)