Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-21, 16:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default I've given up salad greens for Lent :)

Actually, no, but so many of my online friends... and these days, ALL my friends are online talk about what they gave up lately, I had to join in.

Seriously, I've been eating salad greens; low fiber, low lectin, and I like it! But two days ago I pulled out the tub of spring greens and every third leaf had gone yick on me.

I just dumped the whole thing: I'm so busy trying to make a living now that the Pandemic killed my old job and it's not coming back I don't have time to sort and rinse. I don't like salads THAT much.

So I just topped my brisket with olives and cheese and dressing. And it seemed to work really well. I had a nice big first meal that was VLC and wasn't hungry the rest of the day.

Ever since I went all radical and became so attuned to each food's effect on me, it has been startling how foods I've taken for granted all my life have either changed, as I suspect the new GMO wheat has; or I've realized my body never got along with them.

Like, maybe, salad greens?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-21, 10:27

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

As GRB5111 (I think it was Rob) said once, "The crisper drawer in my refrigerator is where veggies go to wilt."
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-21, 11:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
"The crisper drawer in my refrigerator is where veggies go to wilt."

This is a teaser quote that I very much relate to.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-21, 05:18

BF:

I have never been a fan of vegetables. Oh, there's ways I like them, and I occasionally miss their side dish utility, but if I get along better without them, I can certainly deal with that. I've given up things I like better!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-21, 06:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
As GRB5111 (I think it was Rob) said once, "The crisper drawer in my refrigerator is where veggies go to wilt."
Ha - my variation is that my vegetable crisper is more accurately referred to as the vegetable rotter. Maybe I'll start calling it the primary compost bin. The secondary one is in the yard.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-21, 08:26

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Too funny! I go to the store, feel so superior buying my bagged salads, dutifully put them away in the crisper drawer, never to be looked at again until all the leaves are brown, wet, and limp.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-21, 09:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Had a steak with asparagus last night. With just over 14 ounces of steak, both were good, but one bunch of asparagus can last me several meals. I often commit vegetable carnage, as even the veggies that I like, I have to remind myself to eat. For this reason, I need to be careful when shopping, as I can easily buy more of the "good" veggies than I'll ever eat. Wonder if there's a 12-step program for this affliction . . . . ???

"Hi, my name is Rob, and I neglect vegetables."
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-21, 09:45

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

The crisper drawer in my fridge has been repurposed and is now the cheese drawer.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-21, 19:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
The crisper drawer in my fridge has been repurposed and is now the cheese drawer.

The deli drawer is stuffed with my cheese stash (and DH's deli meats), so that sounds like a great idea!

I actually have 2 crisper drawers - one of them only has things that simply keep better if they're refrigerated, such as big bags of raw nuts from Costco.

I do keep a few fresh vegetables in the other crisper, but depending on what they are, all too often they just don't keep long enough for me to get around to using all of them these days. I've started buying more frozen ones (or freezing some of the fresh ones I buy), because at least they keep until I'm ready to use them, but I don't even have all that many of those.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-21, 05:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
"Hi, my name is Rob, and I neglect vegetables."

#11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-21, 09:48

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:

When it comes to salads, I just buy a bowl of ready prepared, like Sainsbury's Mediterranean, and have the whole thing that day with my meat or fish, instead of veg.

I buy frozen veg - spinach, broccoli and brussel sprouts - and just take out what I need, no waste. There is an incredible amount of snobbery around "fresh" vegetables, and all the vitamins and enzymes that get lost if they are not fresh. Well unless you grow them yourself and eat the soon after you harvest them, they don't have many of those anyway after transport and sitting on the supermarket shelf.

I also get frozen berries and currants in the winter. Aldi are good; their raspberries defrost into individual fruits, not mush. Again, use what you want, no waste.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-21, 10:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I also use frozen vegs; nothing goes to waste and they are frozen at peak freshness. Mixtures of colourful vegs provide more variety and nutrients per serving. There is nothing worse than wilted/rotting vegs in the "crisper"!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-21, 15:38

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've also noticed that human females are more attracted to salads than males.

I've brought this up with my DW and she definitely agrees.

I wonder if it's cultural or genetic?

I know there are physical differences between the genders, and of course a different mixture of hormones. But you never hear of a "meat and potatoes gal" and I've never personally known a man who craves salads, but plenty of women who do.

Of course there are 'exceptions to the rule'.

I'm just curious.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-21, 03:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

LOL. This was yesterday.

To be truthful, I rarely waste the veggies I buy and they'll either get frozen or otherwise used up before they go bad.

...but if you think household wasted food is a problem, don't even ASK what happens in food service. Don't ask.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-21, 07:38

BF:

It occurred to me just now that I do have vegetables I get along with, even love. The kicker is they are not widely considered to vegetables. They are botanical fruits.

Cucumbers and avocados are staples of my new eating plan. I also get along with tomato sauce -- despite their nightshade heritage -- because sauce doesn't contain the lectin-containing skins and seeds. (Finally! Something breaks my way!)

Both cucumbers and avocados are excellent salad ingredients. I can do all kinds of dressings on cucumbers, and I have a mandolin if it comes to that I guess it's time to move beyond pickles.