Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 08:38
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
Yep your right about the HCTZ since I started taking it it has caused constipation. I drink lots of liquids, but some times it just catches up with me.
I am goin to take the D3 in the morning tomorrow. I haven't started the calcium...,. just have a erry feeling about it, I was looking at labs last Yr and my Calcium levels were perfect. I just don't know if I need it... is it a must just because my dr, said to take it, se hasn't checked what my calcium level is.

IMO you must, must, must take SOME calcium with vitamin D. Vitamin D regulates calcium but it must have some calcium along with the vitamin D or your blood calcium levels can rise and you may get hypercalcemia.

And, of course, you should always take magnesium with calcium.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 19:46

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I have been taking 200 of calcium, and tonight I am starting the 500, am and pm, and 2 magnesiums, for a total of 600.
My Dr told me to only take 1,000 of the calcium, my levels are fine...I'm doing fine, in the last 60 post on here I have understood it...She told me to take just 400 of the magnesium.
But between the calcium and the HCTZ If I am getting into trouble with the constipation, I am going to have to change something. I eat alot of calcium a day also.....
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
IMO you must, must, must take SOME calcium with vitamin D. Vitamin D regulates calcium but it must have some calcium along with the vitamin D or your blood calcium levels can rise and you may get hypercalcemia.

And, of course, you should always take magnesium with calcium.

Just my food intake with calcium today was 1348mg...
1 1/4 cup cottagecheese over 3 meals
1 chedder slice of cheese
1 carb masters yogurt
and 2 cups of spinach fresh...

I think adding Calcium pills is alot of calcium..... I just don't understand if I eat it why do I need to take so much???
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 09:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well, if you're eating that much, don't have pain in your bones, then you don't need extra.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 12:30

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
Just my food intake with calcium today was 1348mg...
1 1/4 cup cottagecheese over 3 meals
1 chedder slice of cheese
1 carb masters yogurt
and 2 cups of spinach fresh...

I think adding Calcium pills is alot of calcium..... I just don't understand if I eat it why do I need to take so much???

I have a chronic Vitamin D deficiency as well as my mom & sister. No matter how much time we spend in the sun or what we eat we have a conversion problem-our body isn't processing the sun or foods into enough Vitamin D. This could be your problem also.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 15:51

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Got my D results today!!!

I began taking vitamin D3 almost exactly a year ago. I took 5,000 IUs daily throughout the winter (OK, I missed a few days here and there, but pretty regularly, nonetheless). I stopped taking it quite so often when it finally got sunny here!!! Around May, I guess. Over the summer I only took it sporadically - at doses of around 5,000IUs each time - when the weather was bad or when I didn't get outside much.

As someone who uses a bicycle to get the groceries, I get outdoors a bit more than most people, all year round. I made a special effort this summer to get outdoors over noon and hardly ever used sunscreen - only if I was outside in the sun for a long time.

I started taking it again on a daily basis in October. My D results came out at 61.3ng/ml!!!

And it was the right test, too!!!

I have been taking the "D emulsion forte" made by Biotics, which I get shipped to my address here in Germany from "The Vitamin Service" in the UK. It seems to have done the trick!!!

I have also been taking chelated magnesium since August and really notice the difference in my general calmness, concentration abilities and balance. This may have been helped by the fact that I have been gradually reducing my caffeine intake, too, but whatever the case may be, I am pretty sure the chelated magnesium has had a very positive effect.

One question, though: in a German book I read about vitamin D, the guy said that the sample should be wrapped in foil or covered somehow otherwise the results will be skewed by the exposure of the blood to light. I did mention this to the lady who drew my blood but I have no clue whether she did cover it up.

The thing is, I have never heard anybody else mention this.

What do you D experts think???

amanda
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 05:33
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
One question, though: in a German book I read about vitamin D, the guy said that the sample should be wrapped in foil or covered somehow otherwise the results will be skewed by the exposure of the blood to light. I did mention this to the lady who drew my blood but I have no clue whether she did cover it up.

The thing is, I have never heard anybody else mention this.

What do you D experts think???

amanda
In my readings about Vitamin D stability exposure to UV radiation does process the vitamin D on into substances the body doesn't use. This happens with both UVB and UVA light.
So draw blood (containing vitamin D3) place in a clear tube by a UVA light source (window or flourescent light tube) and you have the chance of a lower reading than you thought.
I wonder if the reports of poor response from Vitamin D2 arise from pharmacies buying in bulk, keeping the bulk supply on a high open shelf near a fluorescent light tube and then when the Ergocalciferol is dispensed it's even more worthless than when it was manufactured.

It's mainly light that is the problem. You can freeze D3 in ice cream and bake D3 in cakes/bread/biscuits and it's fine but put it under UVA or UVB and the conversion to suprasterols the body can't use will happen.

The Grassroots D Action (ZRT) 25(OH)D test requires just 2 drops of blood. These go directly onto the sample tissue which you allow to dry for a few minutes and then return in an envelope. I suppose if you put the sample tissue paper to dry by the window or under a strong light you could harm it's D3 content but the results I've had have been in line with my expectations.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 15:50

I got my D3 result....it was 32 back in Oct 09, and 53 in Dec, and This week they got 59. I have been taking the D3 every two weeks....
I was sitting here thinking, do I feel different.

1. The pain of Fibro is gone.
2. Haven't had a cold, or H1N1, or any of the OTHER viruses, this season..
3. I have more energy...
4. That Numb emotion feeling is gone.. I was off Morphine 1 yr when I started the D3, and it got rid of it.,.,
5. I feel more relaxed..the stress in the center of my stomach is gone.
6. My A1C that had been climbing, dropped 2 points.
7. I sleep better, and I DO DREAM, and remember them now..

Not yet:
1. Psorasis is still blazing

I am going to continue to take the D3 50,000 every 2 weeks...
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 16:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Hey Mouse, interesting reading. i am always concerned, and confused, with the amounts to take. I am still taking my D3 as well, 5,000 daily. I am always wondering just how much is ok to take? For a couple months, when first started taking it, I felt so good, an improvement in my over all feelings, happier, etc. Then that feeling began to wan, I felt I should maybe double it for a while to 10,000, but can't get a straight answer from my dr. and while all my other blood work came back, he doesn't feel its necessary to test for the d level, noted that my calcium, mag, and pots. levels were excellent. I just wonder if I should take the 10,000 units, or if thats too much.Guess, will just have to keep bugging my dr. about the test. It was great to see that your levels have gone up!
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 03:31
Registered Member

BF:

As you can see from this graph it's impossible to say for certain exactly how much vitamin D is required to get to around 60ng/ml. Most people will manage it on 1000iu/daily/D3 for each 25lbs they weigh. For you at 150lbs ish that's 6000iu/daily particularly in winter when you won't be getting any from sunshine. So until you are able to get some regular, near full body, skin exposure to UVB warm sunshine it may be an idea to have one or two of extra 5000iu/s each week.
Remember you don't have to ask your doctor for 25(OH)D test you can get a postal test. If you are below 60ng/ml then take an extra 1000iu/daily for each 10ng/ml you need to increase to get just over 60ng/ml. If you are above 80ng/ml then reduce by that amount so you end up in between 60~80ng/ml.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I watched Dr. Heaney's lecture and it was very interesting! Thank you, Hutchison for posting that link.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 16:17
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

I just watched that too, interesting.

So, I took all of the capsules that I ordered and stopped when I ran out. I think that was sometime last year. I didn't really monitor how I was feeling.

I've been feeling really depressed, having a hard time losing weight and extremely fatigued lately. Now I remember that I wasn't feeling that way near the middle of last year.

Still working from home, not out in the sun much. That along with it being winter, blah.

So, I finally had my vitamin D test done.
This showed as my result:

VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY 24

Crazy, they show the normal range as 20-100 ng/mL

So of course my doctor didn't mention that she thinks my level is low!

Anyhow, I ordered more from Biotech today. This time I ordered the 50,000 iu capsules. Wondering if I should take 1 2x a week because my level is so low.

I know it'll take awhile but I'm so looking forward to feeling better.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 04:00
Registered Member

BF:

Topping up your vitamin D tank
Dr Davis suggests it may take up to 3yrs to be sure your vitamin D reserves are fully restored at intakes around 10,000iu/daily.
With the 50,000iu capsules you have bought that works out at ONE capsule every 5 days.

A rule of thumb (guesswork) is to take 1000iu/daily for each 25lbs you weigh.
so just over 7000iu/daily MAY be sufficient (for someone living in the USA and getting some sunshine when possible) This would mean one 50,000capsule each week.
If you find that easier (just having SUNDAY your vitamin D day) than trying to remember every 5th day it MAY be sufficient.
If you want to stick with the 10,000iu/daily average but only take the capsules ONE day each week so it's easier to remember you could ALTERNATE one 50,000iu week one and 2 x 50,000iu week two and so on so every fortnight you took 3 x 50,000iu total 150,000iu over 14 days = just over 10,000iu/daily.
It would be worth asking for another 25(OH)D test in 6 months to see how it works out in practice.

do be aware that every responds differently and what suits most people may not suit you.

Also don't forget that vitamin D3 works in conjunction with magnesium and omega 3 and these also all affect mood. Similarly getting outside into bright sunlight not only creates vitamin D3 it also resets your circadian rhythm. This enables your body to secrete more MELATONIN, another anti inflammatory, anti oxidant that works in the brain and protects mitochondria. It's roles are as many and as varied as Vitamin D3, omega 3 and magnesium and should not be overlooked.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 12:06
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Thanks for responding! Up to three years, wow. I'm going to take my d3 faithfully.

I still have the magnesium that I ordered so ill definitely take that too. I don't have any omega 3 so I'll have to check into that. I had some mct oil but its all gone.

Thanks again for the info, great stuff! I'm excited to try to get my vit d level up. Im going to alternate like you mentioned and take 1 50000 capsule when it comes and then 2 50000 the 2nd week.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 15:26

Ok, I am still taking the 50,000 every two weeks, I have never stopped. But last Late Sept I moved to Raining, foogy and no sunshine Oregon,. Should I have started taking the 50,000 a week.

The Fibro pain is back with a vengance
I have been on Insulin for over a yr. They say I am type 1
I feel depressed all to often.

I did start taking B complex with Folic acid and C
I have been taking Epson Salt Bathes for 2 days,,, boy does that make me sleep, wake groogy, and then pain is less, or is this all in MY MIND...

? How much magnesium is absorbed with a 1 cup full bath.
How much Mag shoud I be taking orally along with the bath with it?