Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 14:44

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%
Default Couch Potatoes Unite!

Come help me stop being a couch potato! Join me in my quest to do some exercise or movement every day in February. 15 minutes of yoga, a walk around the block, playing with your kids, cross-fit, whatever! It doesn't have to take a ton of time or be big. I just want to start developing a new habit!

I started a thread over in the exercise forum: Move Every Day Challenge
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 10:38

Thumbs up

Hi everyone! We are still over in the exercise forum with our little challenge to Move Every Day!

We're not gym rats and not spending hours working out, just building new habits, improving old injuries, and learning what it feels like to get moving. Personally, I'm working out about 15 minutes a day at home with no equipment.

It's very low key and supportive. Everyone is welcome, no matter your size, fitness, or ability. The start of the month is a great time to join us--maybe you want to challenge yourself to move every day in March! Join us any time.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 11:13

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

OH man! I think of exercise as a four letter word. (and I sometime use those exact words while doing it!!!)

I know I can do better, but it has to have a meaning. Getting something accomplished while exercising.
Give me some ideas....

I just can't hamster wheel and get nowhere. I don't see the point.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
OH man! I think of exercise as a four letter word. (and I sometime use those exact words while doing it!!!)

I know I can do better, but it has to have a meaning. Getting something accomplished while exercising.
Give me some ideas....

I just can't hamster wheel and get nowhere. I don't see the point.
I'm with you on the four letter words! God, it can be boring. I don't know your life...so it's a bit hard to make suggestions. Plus, I'm no expert. I started this because I was doing absolutely nothing and was trying to get motivated to do something other than nothing.

Do you commute on transit? Can you walk part way by walking to a place where you pick up a transfer or to a further stop? Or get off earlier?

Do you have kids? Can you play with the kids at the park instead of just supervising?

What about volunteering to walk dogs at your local animal shelter?

Spring cleaning? Yard work? Community garden?

Take a dance class through your parks and rec? Mine offers everything from salsa to belly dancing. Or take a class to learn to play tennis or golf.

Is there something you'd like to do, but need to be in better shape to do it? You could set some related goals, so it doesn't feel so much like generic "hamster wheel."

I'm alternating between two very short (under 15 minutes) workouts from these books:
Bodyweight Strength Training
The Pilates Body
I'd recommend both. The Pilates Body is great, definitely 5-star and it progresses through modified beginner, beginner, intermediate and advanced, so it works for everyone. Bodyweight Strength Training is more of a 3-1/2 star, but that's mainly because of some irritations about how it's organized. The fitness test that they had you do before you started was too advanced for me and I thought I'd really made a mistake with the book. But the beginner workout is okay for someone with a zero level of fitness, if you just do what you can and keep at it.

Also, I'd say the goal is to do something every day, not necessarily the same thing, so mix it up if that works for you. Think of it more as developing a habit rather than trying to do the things the fitness articles say you should.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-19, 17:12

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Thank you CityGirl!

Those are some great suggestions. My fitness level is 0.0

I'm working with a bad back, dodgy hips, elbow pain, wrist pain, foot pain, but I do what I can to get around.
I don't like to take any pain pills, but if I overdo the exercise I will.