Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 05:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

There is an article in the October issue of Muscle and Fitness on CLA. Page 246 at the bottom. If you wanted to check it out. It's short, so it can be read quickly.
One study was of overweight people who didn't diet or exercise, they took 3-4 grams of CLA daily for six months. They lost about 5 pounds more bodyfat and added roughly 1 pound more muscle than the group who consumed olive oil. Plus the fat loss came mainly from the abs in male subjects and from the abs and thighs in the females.

It also talks about a test group that did exercise, but did not diet.

It ends with: "Just think of what it could do along with a solid lifting program and diet. Take 1-3 grams of CLA with breakfast, lunch and dinner."

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 05:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Fabulous info and very encouraging Galatia... thank you. It'll be interesting to compare those who are exercising and those who aren't. Let's hope it will give us all encouraging results.
Mine are going well right now.. I'm hopeful it's going to improve even further.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 09:57
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Still watching your progress I will get some if more of you have results I think, not that I don't trust your results Annabel, but once I watched a girl on here promoting a product she was using....ummmmmm can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but anyway, I went out and bought some and it was expensive, and then had zero results with it! She provided some seriously good research on it too - andit really seemed to work for her.....so I am cautious not to make the same mistake again!

I am truly hoping it will work for you and the other people who are trying it....I do wonder though what happens when you don't take it anymore...? Does the muscle go and the fat come back again...?
Hmmmm something to look into me thinks!

Hazel
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey all! I haven't been exercising this week because I've been sick. Just so you know.

I'm down a half inch in my waist today. Add this to the half inch under my bustline.

I doth believeth it is working! And seriously, things look smoother.

So far so good. I can't wait to see what happens when I began exercise again.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 10:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hazel you are very wise . I too have seen those threads. One was Relacore. Oil of Oregano was one that was big for awhile too. I think a lot people found it really helped their allergies, so something good did come from that.....but I don't think it did much in the way of weight loss. I hope those of us who are being the "guinea pigs" this time, have good results.

I haven't seen the concerns you sited addressed anywhere. IMO, if it works, I'm sure if you go back to putting back on excessive fat, it'll come back. My plan is to continue weight training to continue building and preserving muscle, and keep fat stores down to what is normal and not excessive again. Abs and hips seem to be very resistant to fat loss, so since CLA seems to help these areas, the plan is to finally get it off and not go back to what we did that put it there in the first place.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 11:17
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Ok, I've decided to take 3,000 mg a day.
I only took 1,000 yesterday (1st day).
Here are my measurements:

Upper stomach right above belly button ~ 35"
Waist ~ 36"
Lower stomach right below belly button ~ 38 3/4"
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

msidbobby, my bottle recommends 3,000 mg a day, too. So I think you're on target there. I'm happy with the results so far. I'm sure I am not imagining it. In fact, this morning I was like "whoa".

I'm sticking with what I'm doing, defintiely. BTW..no noticeable side effects.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 14:24
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Goddess, wow congratulations on the inches lost. I can't wait to have a Whoa moment.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 15:52

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%

Melissa,

I'm going to take three tablets a day, despite what the packaging says. Since we have the same product, I'll be the guinea pig if you want me to and I'll let you know how it turns out. I don' think it wil do any harm. As I think I posted before, the studies I read showed CLA to be most effective at 3000mg/3g daily.

Last edited by Sapphire2 : Sat, Sep-16-06 at 16:14.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 17:05

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%

Hey ladies,

Looks like some of you have had really good results. that is awesome!!! I was thinking, maybe we can post the brand we are using? or is that not allowed here. I don't want to endorse one products over the other, but I was thinking this may be a variable we should consider. I know sometimes products, such as vitamins, weight loss pills/tablets and supplements, may not always have the exact amount that is shown on the label. Particularily, products from foreign countries or products not regulated by the FDA. Does anyone know if this products is regulated by the FDA? Then again, the FDA approved Viaxx and other meds that were later proven to be killers to some. So I guess I should look to them to be the final authority on anything. Anywho, here are the dreaded measurements.

At Navel: 44 1/2"
High Waist: 36 3/4"
Kangaroo Pouch aka Lower Stomach: 46"
L Thigh: 25 1/4"
L Inner Thigh: 28 1/4"
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 17:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
There is an article in the October issue of Muscle and Fitness on CLA. Page 246 at the bottom. If you wanted to check it out. It's short, so it can be read quickly.
One study was of overweight people who didn't diet or exercise, they took 3-4 grams of CLA daily for six months. They lost about 5 pounds more bodyfat and added roughly 1 pound more muscle than the group who consumed olive oil. Plus the fat loss came mainly from the abs in male subjects and from the abs and thighs in the females.

It also talks about a test group that did exercise, but did not diet.

It ends with: "Just think of what it could do along with a solid lifting program and diet. Take 1-3 grams of CLA with breakfast, lunch and dinner."

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that.

WOW!! Thanks for sharing this info!!

I'm going to get a bottle of CLA and join you guys in this.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 17:32

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

I just bought mine from Walmart and it says that it is NOT regulated by FDA. I am on day 2 of it and measured a little bit ago. The measurements were so awful that I can't bear to add them to this post. Maybe next time.

Jimsbride
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 17:36

Plan: M&E
Stats: 194.6/156.4/140 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:duh...yes!....
Progress: 70%

Hi Everyone!

I'm over from the M&E thread, but have been following this one since it started. I bought some CLA on Thursday and started taking it. I took measurements before I took my first dose.

My bottle (EAS) says to take 1.5 g three times a day, which is a total of 4.5g. Do you think that is overkill? Should I only take 3 (which will make it last longer)??

I'm *trying* to stay skeptical, and stick with hard numbers instead of going by how things 'look', but so far, so good! Next measurement day is Thursday, and I'll report back then. Thanks for this thread and the idea of this experiment!

Regards, Cricket
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 17:59
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I must admit that I've been very bad at remembering to take my CLA. I'll make a concerted effort to take it three times a day from now on. Sounds like it is working for quite a few of you, and I'm thrilled to hear that!
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 18:16
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire2
Melissa,

I'm going to take three tablets a day, despite what the packaging says. Since we have the same product, I'll be the guinea pig if you want me to and I'll let you know how it turns out. I don' think it wil do any harm. As I think I posted before, the studies I read showed CLA to be most effective at 3000mg/3g daily.

I took 3 today, so maybe we'll overdose together.
Ok, end of 1st official day ... no side effects.

Shelle, it's totally fine if you don't want to post your measurements right now. Only do it later if you feel like you really want to. It's been mentioned on here before that you're not expected to post them if you don't feel comfortable. The important thing is to keep track on your own.