Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 13:36

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforrestal
Hello to all...I've reached the end of my 2 week induction, I lost 6 pounds my first week but have stayed at that weight for the duration of the 2nd week...very discouraged,I haven't cheated at all, keeping under 20 net carbs religiously,I'm eating alot of meat and eggs, I do use 2-3 packs of Splenda in my green tea in the am, also on recommendation of a trusted friend I added a Wheybolic protein drink that uses Stevia for a sweetner(package states 3 net carbs per drink.)
Please help, i don't want to quit, any suggestions on getting back into Ketosis and shedding some pounds is greatly appreciated.
Kevy77

Where to start... First and most important, you cannot let this stuff stress you out. 2 weeks is nothing, and you don't have that much to lose anyway. Stress is the enemy. Second, why do you need so much extra protein? Also not ideal for weight loss. What is your fat intake like? Lastly, you added something non-induction to induction, it stopped working for you, and...? Dr. Atkins was really smart, and structured his plan pretty carefully. If you take a deep breath and a step back, I think you've got this.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 04:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey Kevy! Welcome to the wonderful world of LC WOE.

IMHO, I'd stay away from the shakes, prepackaged LC foods and the SF gums... many people stall on those things. I personally feel that "real" foods is one of the keys to success on this life-changing WOE.

How much can you lose and how quickly? That is so personal/individualized but rest assured (unless you have some medical issues not stated or taking certain meds) you will lose weight if you stick religiously to plan without any cheats. It took time to put on the weight, and it will take time to take it off.

Remember, we are LOSERS not QUITTERS. Keep up the good fight, you are doing very well so far!

Onward and DOWNWARD, dude!

Jo
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 05:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Don't bother. A woman who ran a popular low-carb site a few years ago stalled for a solid YEAR--and all the while her keto sticks were a nice dark purple. Also once your body has adapted to using ketones the sticks stop changing color anyway.

But that's an n=1--good enough to prove that ketosis doesn't universally lead to/signal weight loss, but not to prove that this is true for everybody. There are plausible ways it might help--if a person has hypoglycemia, for instance, higher ketones might protect a person from hypoglycemia-induced binges/sugar dependency.

And not everybody stops changing the colour of those ketone sticks--they stayed deep purple for that woman you mentioned, didn't they? A common explanation is dehydration, but I doubt that I'm constantly dehydrated, but I still turn the strips.

This early in the diet, I think you just have to wait it out. If you're eating a lot of eggs and meat, I don't see why you need the protein drink, though.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 20:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/180.2/130 Female 61 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi, Kevvy. My experience was that I lost 17 lbs in two weeks my first time in Atkins induction. I stopped and started low-carb again over the years, and never saw those results again. I would be thrilled with 6 lbs in two weeks now. Maybe my body is getting more resistant with each do-over.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 21:04

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
I personally feel that "real" foods is one of the keys to success on this life-changing WOE.
...you will lose weight if you stick religiously to plan without any cheats. It took time to put on the weight, and it will take time to take it off.

Remember, we are LOSERS not QUITTERS.

Hear, hear!!! Agree TOTALLY w Jo. I believe in REAL food (which requires more work and planning...) I believe in NO "cheats". I agree TOTALLY that, in time, we WILL achieve our goals. and I agree, don;t even THINK about quitting, 'cause seriously, What's the Alternative?

For me, this is it. There IS no other option.

I wish you (and all of us! ) the VERY best of luck!

Jammie
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 21:11

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
hello, can i ask( knowing everyone is different) what is a normal expectation of weight loss for the 1st few weeks of Atkins? I lost 6 lbs my first week and I'm barley taking off 1 pond per week since,I've been hearing that regardless of the small progress I should stick it out for 4-6 weeks and then it will happen.....thoughts or comments?? thanks KF

H iKevy,

One thing you could do, to get an idea of others' experiences, is read some journals and poke around the challenges... lots of weight records there.

Best,
Jammie
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 05:57

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
hello, can i ask( knowing everyone is different) what is a normal expectation of weight loss for the 1st few weeks of Atkins? I lost 6 lbs my first week and I'm barley taking off 1 pond per week since,
Back in Dr Atkins' day the staff at his clinic used to say that someone who was not dieting previously to starting induction would probably see a loss over the first 2 weeks of between 5% and 10% of the total pounds they need to lose - so you are still on a bonus!!