Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-13, 05:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

JL thanks for the tip! For comparison, Direct Labs has it on "special" month of November for $29, or with other blood work $39. And those prices are better than doctors.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 05:51

For the start of "Diet Season", bumping up this caution thread.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 09:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfie
The problem with going by the A1c is that when I still had an A1c of 10, my BG's were already under 100. It's just that the A1c reflects the previous 3 months...not necessarily what is going on currently. Medication should be taken based on *current* info.

You must've had some incredibly high post-meal BG's. Which does happen. That's why metering post-meal is also important.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 06:17

With the activity on Dr Fung's Fasting thread, the increased media coverage about and use of Ketogenic Diets, bumping up this WARNING thread for anyone going Very Low Carb or considering Fasting if you have diabetes, especially taking medications.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-15, 13:11

Plan: no rice, no refined sugar
Stats: 158/158/150 Male 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default newbabe

Thanks, Janet. Great advice. Am here located in Houston Texas. You got some people here who can help?
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-15, 06:40

Check out all the links in Post 14 in this thread. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=464616&page=1

Sorry, Links do not copy thread to thread and I am travelling with only iPad so was just best to point you to that previous list.
Liz53 use to live in Houston and a few years ago there were not many docs on Jimmy Moore's list, but more now with these additional lists. She may have other ideas.

Dr Westman in NC And Dr Gerber in Denver are starting the HealDiabetes clinics...I don't know how much they can do remotely after the first visit, call to see what they can offer out of state patients. But through the ASBP Dr Westman has been Training many doctors in low carb diets, so definitely check their list.
Using 770 for their zip search came up with eight results, inc one DO. My other tip is that some doctors with the DO degree are more attuned to treating the whole person, not rushing to prescribe meds, more like functional medicine doctors. Not always, but check out a DO directory. And last tip is find a young doctor...I just chatted with young female PCP who is raising her family Paleo.

Famous for her autoimmune protocols, Amy Meyers is in Austin. http://www.amymyersmd.com/2015/02/w...-the-myers-way/

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-24-15 at 07:04.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 19:46

Dr Davis has updated his caution thread with more details,
New version March 2015.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...w-blood-sugars/
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 08:25

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You must've had some incredibly high post-meal BG's. Which does happen. That's why metering post-meal is also important.

Nancy, probably some confusion there. The doc took my A1c and it was over 10 but on Bernstein's my BG's quickly came down (like within weeks) from over 250 or so to under 100. However, if I had done another A1c at that point, it still would have been high because there were more days of high and than normal at that point in that 3 month history.

I take my BG's first thing in morning and last thing before I go to bed. I also take them before each meal because, following Bernstein's protocol or no snacking and meals about 4 hours or so apart, my BG should be back to 'normal'.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 04:15

Bumping this thread again. More are finding low carbs diets and fasting as a way to treat diabetes, but please be cautious if you are on medications. They may need to be changed, and quickly. Read Dr Davis's two articles in this thread.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 05:24

Another good article by Kelley Pounds, a diabetes educator, about when people can come off their medications. Some other considerations on the topic:

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...ype-2-diabetes/

Quote:
As you know from reading my site, I truly emphasize the natural treatment of diabetes and other health conditions. Does that mean that shortly after beginning a healthy way of eating that you should throw your diabetes medications in the trash and expect good BG control? Well, that may be possible for some, but more often, most folks have to wean from medications, slowly lowering them until control is reached from their diet and lifestyle. For others, continued use of medication is necessary.

Does this mean you have failed? No. Many learn about healthy lifestyle only after years of living with diabetes, and the damage (I wish I had a better word to use here) has been done. Others have followed the standard diabetes advice for decades only to find out it worsened their diabetes. So don’t be so hard on yourself. When I discovered that I had pre-diabetes, I was given NO advice from my primary healthcare provider. NONE. (I’d hate to know where I’d be today, had I done nothing.)

So this is where many find themselves, with years or decades with uncontrolled diabetes. Control is not likely to happen overnight. There is nothing wrong with support from diabetes medications. You should not stop taking needed medication, and live with resulting high blood sugars, just so you can “go natural.” The high blood sugars are causing FAR more damage.

Take me for instance, it took me two years of living a very strict healthful lifestyle to eliminate medication for high blood pressure. I hated taking medication because I felt like I should be able “beat” high blood pressure. But if I had tossed those pills in the trash, and lived with extremely high blood pressure, the damage to my kidneys could have been devastating and permanent. As of now, I am medication free. But, if my blood pressure had not responded to my healthy lifestyle, you’d better believe I’d be taking medication for it.

Honestly, NONE of us want to take medication. When we hear of others coming off all of their medications, we wonder why it is not happening for us. Well, not everyone is in the same stage with their diabetes. And those who stop taking medication often have invested a great deal of time and considerable effort. Some achieve this with diet alone. Others who are more resistant may need advanced techniques, like vigorous exercise and possibly an intermittent fasting regimen. So please don’t compare yourself to others. Strive with the goal in mind of freeing yourself from medication. But if you are giving a healthy lifestyle 100% effort and still are having elevated blood glucose, it is extremely important to keep blood sugars controlled. Medication may be necessary. High blood sugars can cause irreparable harm. You should NOT be living with high blood sugars.

Where medications become a huge problem is trying to use them to cover an unhealthy lifestyle. This requires large doses of medications, worsens diabetes, increases resistance, causes unpredictable blood sugars, and leaves you completely open to all of the complications of diabetes.

There is NO doubt that the MAJORITY of your treatment for your diabetes MUST come from a healthy lifestyle. And medication therapy (along with your healthy diet) can be helpful while healing from diabetes. But, if you can’t achieve blood sugar control despite your best efforts at living healthy, don’t be ashamed to use what you need to keep blood sugars controlled. Controlled blood sugars are a MUST for long term health and avoiding the risks of major chronic disease.

For those that can free themselves from medication, please continue to be vigilant about testing and monitoring to make sure that your condition remains controlled over time.

Wishing all of you good health and blood sugar control!

(Do I think any and ALL medications are good? No, I have my opinions as to which ones I feel are helpful with very minimal potential for side effects. There are other classes I very much dislike. But this article is not the place for my personal opinions. I think it is important to do thorough research on the medications you choose to take.)
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-16, 17:36

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I realize this isn't a current thread, but for anyone else who reads this now, just to advise that Walmart sells an A1c kit for $9. (Blood drops onto a paper that you send in.)

I tried it after some people on this site said it was accurate and found that it corresponds to what I've had done at the doc pretty closely.

The info in these threads doesn't get too old to benefit, in most cases. I jump on and off pretty sporadically. I looked up the kits at WM and only found them as meters like you can get for bg and ketones. They range from $20 something to about $44.00.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-16, 20:37

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I really appreciate your posting this. My husband has said he is finally ready to commit to eating as he should for his diabetes. I don't know yet what his bg number is because he is a baby about testing but also because I figure I'd give him a day or two so that if his number goes down just a bit, it won't present such a daunting challenge to him. He knows he has been in the high 200s on a good day, so if there's any improvement at all, I hope it will encourage him.

He takes Metformin now and was taking glipizide (sp?) but we ran out a while back. Now, I'm happy he has not gone back for an appointment and so has not been able to re-fill it. It should ease his fears of low numbers.

I have some questions but I will put them in a fresh thread.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 04:36

Welcome back, Ann. Happy to learn that your husband has committed to a lifestyle change to control his diabetes. Many new resources focused on diabetes, Dr Bernstein has put his lifetime of knowledge on YouTube, Dr Westman has a new on-line program, Dr Sarah Hallberg is brilliant at keeping her LC advice very simple, and Kelley Pounds, the LC RN and diabetes educator, has collected a zillion links to good info and a free diabetes diet book on her website.

Thanks for bumping up this thread...it should probably be a sticky. Kelley is a diabetes educator and has much experience with clients and knowing the range of time it may take to reduce medications. Dr Westman has said the same, from one day off a high dose, to months of reduction and having to keep some of the oral medications. Everyone is different and should be so blessed to work with a LC doctor who is available 24 hours for medical advice.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-23-16 at 06:33.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 08:23

Dr. Davis updated his post on this topic so a good day to bump up the warning.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/...hypoglycemia-2/
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 05:05

Adding another type of warning. Someone became ill on another support group, turned out she was dehydrated.

There are surprising reasons for Blood Sugar swings, high and low, and Dehydration is one. If you are starting a LC diet which is dehydrating by itself, and/or add fasting, be sure you are taking enough water, especially if your sense of thirst isn't reliable.

Here is a slideshow of 10 reasons, artificial sweetners, coffee, etc.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/diabe...-swings.aspx#01

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-12-16 at 05:12.