Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#556   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 13:02

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrider1
IMHO:
I think the point here is that IF you can find a bike with better components and is lighter and fits you correctly for a price you can manage you should go for it. You will enjoy it more and you will ride more.

As a bike enthusiast and former bike salesman, my first question always was: what kind of riding would you like to do? I based every conversation on that question. The farther you want to go, the better your bike should be.

That said; whatever you ride that makes you happy and keeps you asking for more is worth the effort.

I guess that's part of the problem. I'm not sure in the long run what type of biking I will be doing...... I haven't bicycled in over 17 years so needless to say it will be like starting all over again. Will I love it and really want to get into it? Or will it just be something I do recreationally with my family? I'm not sure. Right now my goal is just to be more active...to find things I enjoy doing that are active and to get my entire family involved. I hope I love it and I keep wanting more...if that happens I'm sure the investment in a better made bike would be smart. But right now based on our current available funds I only have about $300 to work with. So that either means me buying a better made bike ~ aprox $300. Or settling for Wally world type bike so that me, my DH, and DD can all get bikes. Or waiting til we can come up with enough $ for us all to get better made bikes from a professional bike shop. But I don't know when we would be able to afford that... I guess you can see my dilemma.

Whatever we decide to do I'm sooooooo excited to ride for my first time...a little intimdated...but otherwise very excited!

I was just blown away by all of the great responses and advice. Thanks to EVERYONE for all of the amazing advice, feedback, and encouragement! It is so inspiring to read your riding experiences and to see that that nothing is holding you back and to know that I can do it too! THANKS for sharing!!
Sponsored Links
  #557   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
gweny70, you only weigh 293 or so, you aren't that big. I started riding again when I weighed well over 300 pounds!

God Bless You! Thanks for the support! To be honest am very intimidated about getting on a bike again...let alone outside where people can see me! So good to know it CAN be done even at this weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby

The biggest thing is to buy a good bike and the right bike to fit you and your riding needs. Unless you know how to fit a bike to a person, please take my advice and go to a local shop. If you don't get a comfortable bike that suits you and your riding needs well, you won't enjoy riding and will eventually quit. Or hurt yourself, and that is also no fun.

There is a resouce on the web that I visit frequently, it is http://forums.mtbr.com/ There is a forum there for riders classified as Clydesdale's. http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Don't be offended by the name of that forum and you can overlook that this is primarily a mountain biking site. There is a lot of great info for larger riders there, check it out. There is also a commuting forum on that site that is also a great source of info. A lot of the people on that site are like me in that I have a coupe of bikes and not only a mountain bike.

Thanks for the great bike advice & forum links and I actually love the name of the forum. lol. can't wait to check them out!!

Last edited by gweny70 : Thu, Apr-02-09 at 13:16.
  #558   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 13:51

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
I guess that's part of the problem. I'm not sure in the long run what type of biking I will be doing...... I haven't bicycled in over 17 years so needless to say it will be like starting all over again. Will I love it and really want to get into it? Or will it just be something I do recreationally with my family? I'm not sure. Right now my goal is just to be more active...to find things I enjoy doing that are active and to get my entire family involved. I hope I love it and I keep wanting more...if that happens I'm sure the investment in a better made bike would be smart. But right now based on our current available funds I only have about $300 to work with. So that either means me buying a better made bike ~ aprox $300. Or settling for Wally world type bike so that me, my DH, and DD can all get bikes. Or waiting til we can come up with enough $ for us all to get better made bikes from a professional bike shop. But I don't know when we would be able to afford that... I guess you can see my dilemma.

Whatever we decide to do I'm sooooooo excited to ride for my first time...a little intimdated...but otherwise very excited!

I was just blown away by all of the great responses and advice. Thanks to EVERYONE for all of the amazing advice, feedback, and encouragement! It is so inspiring to read your riding experiences and to see that that nothing is holding you back and to know that I can do it too! THANKS for sharing!!

Spend the money on a decent bicycle for yourself, and then use it whenever you possibly can to run errands, to go grocery shopping, etc. -- and have a special piggy bank, and each time you use the bike instead of the car, deposit the gas money you've saved in the piggy bank.

In no time at all you should be able to purchase bikes for your children. And for you mate, simply make it a combined birthday/Christmas/Etc. present and buy him a decent one.
  #559   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 15:37

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Spend the money on a decent bicycle for yourself, and then use it whenever you possibly can to run errands, to go grocery shopping, etc. -- and have a special piggy bank, and each time you use the bike instead of the car, deposit the gas money you've saved in the piggy bank.

In no time at all you should be able to purchase bikes for your children. And for you mate, simply make it a combined birthday/Christmas/Etc. present and buy him a decent one.

While lil' annie, has a point about saving the money for bikes for the rest of your family, I really recommend starting out w/ a Wallyworld type, especially since you haven't ridden in so many years. You may find you really don't use it as much as you thought you would, or may not truly enjoy riding. If this turns out to be the case, its easier to take a $50 resale loss on a wallyworld bike than a $150+ resale loss on a more expensive bike.

And if you are able to get bikes for the whole family, you can rely on each other for encouragement to go riding etc.
  #560   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: diabetic regulation
Stats: 264/225/180 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Gweny70

Picking up a bike at a boxmart is a good idea if you're not sure about your cycling future. Maybe the biggest loss there is that you get zip for real service at a boxmart. I guess I'm a little jaded, having gone that route and then finding that riding was something I really enjoyed, then turning around and buying another bike anyway (and another, and another...you get the idea-my past and present bikes if you're interested ). I never bought into the really expensive equipment ($1k or more) until I got into recumbents, and then I might have spent wiser if I'd been more patient.

Perhaps a better idea would be to buy a used bike from someone in the classifieds. Being the seller of bikes this way I can say that there are good deals out there but do a little homework (if you haven't already) regarding what a decent bike should be (how are the tires, the shifting and brakes, does it rattle...etc). Most all used bikes have an issue or two. If the seller doesn't seem honest or forthcoming, think long about it. And if you can't test ride it...don't buy it!

It seems like you have some experience and certainly the desire to ride again. Really that and some will power and what more do you need? Good hunting!
kevin
  #561   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 12:11

Ok, even though I had been leaning toward just getting the wally world bike until I can better determine my cycling future...have to admit I've been checking some bikes out online and wow, there's a lot to choose from! I did stumble upon some reviews at buzzillions.com and found the Giant Suede bike that ProfGumby mentioned. I really liked the look of it and it got GREAT reviews! I also found a Trek Wasabi cruiser that I really liked too....It was one of the top 10 based on customer reviews. There is a single speed and a 3 speed. Not sure which one I would/should get if I go that route but there is about a $90 price difference. Anyways, as settled as I was on just buying a big box bike based on previously stated reasons....now I'm so wanting to go to a bike shop and check out these bikes. I found an area shop that carries both Giant and Trek too. I just hope they don't look at me like "what the heck are you doing in here at your size trying to ride a bike.."ah well...that's my own insecurities I need to get over.

Any of you w/experience have any recommendations or information on Giant vs. Trek? I know the pros at the shop will be able to give me advice but thought it wouldn't help to check with others too....

darn it...Now I'm going to be dreaming about these bikes. lol.
  #562   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrider1

Perhaps a better idea would be to buy a used bike from someone in the classifieds. Being the seller of bikes this way I can say that there are good deals out there but do a little homework (if you haven't already) regarding what a decent bike should be (how are the tires, the shifting and brakes, does it rattle...etc). Most all used bikes have an issue or two. If the seller doesn't seem honest or forthcoming, think long about it. And if you can't test ride it...don't buy it!

Kevin what a great idea! Now why didn't I think of that?!?! As many great finds that I have discovered at flea markets, yard sales, craigslist, classifieds, along the road, etc...you would think I would have thought of that right away! THANkS!!
  #563   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 13:05

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Ok, even though I had been leaning toward just getting the wally world bike until I can better determine my cycling future...have to admit I've been checking some bikes out online and wow, there's a lot to choose from! I did stumble upon some reviews at buzzillions.com and found the Giant Suede bike that ProfGumby mentioned. I really liked the look of it and it got GREAT reviews! I also found a Trek Wasabi cruiser that I really liked too....It was one of the top 10 based on customer reviews. There is a single speed and a 3 speed. Not sure which one I would/should get if I go that route but there is about a $90 price difference. Anyways, as settled as I was on just buying a big box bike based on previously stated reasons....now I'm so wanting to go to a bike shop and check out these bikes. I found an area shop that carries both Giant and Trek too. I just hope they don't look at me like "what the heck are you doing in here at your size trying to ride a bike.."ah well...that's my own insecurities I need to get over.

Any of you w/experience have any recommendations or information on Giant vs. Trek? I know the pros at the shop will be able to give me advice but thought it wouldn't help to check with others too....

darn it...Now I'm going to be dreaming about these bikes. lol.

As I stated several times, I sincerely encourage you to ACTUALLY go to a bike shop and try out a decent quality bike and find out for yourself exactly what it feels like to be on a strong WELL MADE bicycle.

You cannot possibly determine whether you like a bicycle from what it looks like online.

You HAVE to try it out.

I'm very serious about this, and this is my final posting to this thread. The more you are putting off going in person to a bike shop, the less they will be able to help you, as they are entering their frantic busy spring season.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
  #564   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
As I stated several times, I sincerely encourage you to ACTUALLY go to a bike shop and try out a decent quality bike and find out for yourself exactly what it feels like to be on a strong WELL MADE bicycle.

You cannot possibly determine whether you like a bicycle from what it looks like online.

You HAVE to try it out.

I'm very serious about this, and this is my final posting to this thread. The more you are putting off going in person to a bike shop, the less they will be able to help you, as they are entering their frantic busy spring season.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't putting off going to a bike shop. Up until now I thought bike shops were just for serious bikers...not the average joe like me just trying to get a leisurely ride in here and there and start back up after many years. So I wasn't putting it off...just thought it wasn't for me...for my lifestyle, my current physical condition, and moreover my budget, etc. I clearly understand that you and everyone else is encouraging me to go to a bike shop and I will. No need to state it again. I just simply posted again to express how excited I was after checking out the bikes online and how that in turn has gotten me even more interested in actually going to a bike shop and getting a good bike..even if I have to wait a little bit longer to come up with the funds. There's a whole world out there I didn't know about and it's quite exciting. That's all. Thanks for the advice and for the best wishes.

Last edited by gweny70 : Fri, Apr-03-09 at 14:06.
  #565   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: diabetic regulation
Stats: 264/225/180 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:

I've had the good fortune to own both those brands (actually I believe Giant is now built by Trek) and I think they are great. The first adult bike I purchased was a Trek Mtn bike that I converted to street riding. I still have it! It's nineteen years old and I only recently replaced some of the components as I am trying to sell it. I don't want to, it's the favorite of the bikes I've owned, but I can't ride it anymore. So it needs a good home. My first real road bike was a Giant OCR3. They come in "compact" sizing which is good, since I'm short I would imagine their mtn frames are good as well.

I would recommend staying with a good steel frame that's comfortable to get on and off of. Actually I really like steel frames (over aluminum, never rode carbon) for the ride aspects in any case. My Giant was aluminum and sometimes the stiffness was a little uncomfortable.

If you live in an area where people like to ride, I'm betting you'll find something available pretty easily.

Here's one other idea...go to Shimano and SRAM's websites and see what the ranking is of their components (cheapest to holy crap! that's expensive). This might give you a head start when you're trying to decide if you're getting a good deal. As far as a bike shop goes...it's a great place to do your homework!

cheers...Kevin
  #566   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have 2 bikes....a Trek and a Schwinn (it's a tank and only on a training stand in the basement for bad weather riding!). I've had my Trek since the early 90's and DH has kept it going for me. Someday I'll get a new one but I love my Trek...DH has modified it over the years...

I have to agree with the bike shop recommendations because they can advise you as long as you give them all the info about what kind of riding, where you'll be riding, what your expectations are. I'm just a recreational rider...not technical, not a pro...just an old woman out on a bike because I love it.

And when you decide on a bike...don't forget the helmet and some good gloves to protect your hands!
  #567   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 00:39
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hi Gweny

FIRST of all.. kudos to you for deciding to get your body moving. That is awesome.

Ok.. here is my 2 cents. Personally, I see nothing wrong with buying a cheaper bike until you figure out if you're going to keep riding. Just make sure it fits you. I will tell you though, that there is a significant difference between Wally World bike and the Trek or Giant.. unless it just sits in the garage. So if you invest the money.. GO FOR IT!! Biking is one of two forms of exercise I really love. Whenever you do buy a bike, invest in the bike computer though (pretty cheap.. $25?) because it's FUN to know how far you've gone or how fast you are going.

Quote:

There is a single speed and a 3 speed. Not sure which one I would/should get if I go that route but there is about a $90 price difference.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the bike with multiple speeds for the sake of your knees. Your knees like the higher cadence (pedal speed) and you can't adjust if you have 1 speed.

GOOD RIDING!!

Mike
  #568   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 02:16
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

I bike everywhere..so I have a nicer bike with all sorts of toys. I like hybreds with lots of speeds and 26 inch wheels instead of road bikes for comfort and the tires are wider...and the handle bar width is as well. (more stable and I like going down hills really fast)

Many people buy bicycles with front suspension because they think they are cool. They are made for downhill racing, not riding around town or road riding. Many people buy bike seats with springs in them..or very soft seats..you are begging for back problems if you are going to do any amount or riding..Get a nice firm seat. I have a Terry seat that is women specific and i love it. Also get road tires or touring tires and not knobbies if your planning on riding on bike paths and roads..it's a much better ride.

If you start riding a lot I would suggest spd of some sort of clipless pedals and cycling shoes..I have dual sided pedals that can be used with spd or regular shoes...

Standing and riding up hills (climbing hills) is not bad for your knees if you are in good shape...it's actually a really great way to work your quads.

As far as a fancy bike or a cheap bike. You get what you pay for...but you can often find a nicer bike used..just make sure it fits you.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by y0u : Sat, Apr-04-09 at 02:29.
  #569   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddioM
Hi Gweny

FIRST of all.. kudos to you for deciding to get your body moving. That is awesome.

Ok.. here is my 2 cents. Personally, I see nothing wrong with buying a cheaper bike until you figure out if you're going to keep riding. Just make sure it fits you. I will tell you though, that there is a significant difference between Wally World bike and the Trek or Giant.. unless it just sits in the garage. So if you invest the money.. GO FOR IT!! Biking is one of two forms of exercise I really love. Whenever you do buy a bike, invest in the bike computer though (pretty cheap.. $25?) because it's FUN to know how far you've gone or how fast you are going.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the bike with multiple speeds for the sake of your knees. Your knees like the higher cadence (pedal speed) and you can't adjust if you have 1 speed.

GOOD RIDING!!

Mike

Thanks for the GREAT feedback DaddioM, yOu, mammgiff, and slowrider1! Really really appreciate it.

DaddioM- Bike computer? Didn't even know that existed! I didn't mean to hijack this thread either. So my apologies to the OP and thanks to everyone for the great info, support, and feedback.

I was set on visiting a bike shop this weekend and picking out my new bike but things changed. My DH and I talked a lot and decided it just wasnt the right decision for me and our family right now to purchase a more expensive bike. It was more important to me & to him for ALL of us to be able to get bikes..even if they were cheaper bikes. In the long run yes I might be out some $$ if I decide to keep riding...but for now it's more important (and more FUN) that we all get fit together vs. me riding around on a $300+ bike while they sit at home. And I'm so happy I made that decision! We had a wonderful time riding together this weekend!! After 18+ years I forgot how much fun it is to ride a bike!!! So for now, this decision works for me. And my DH & I agreed that if I really take to biking and want to keep at it that we'll save up and I'll invest in a good bike from a pro shop next year. If I'm out a few $ so be it. The fact that my family had fun and was active all weekend is well worth it!

Thanks to this thread for giving me the final push to finally try to ride a bike again! What fun!!

Happy Monday everyone!!

Last edited by gweny70 : Mon, Apr-06-09 at 12:08.
  #570   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 08:22

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
After 18+ years I forgot how much fun it is to ride a bike!!! So for now, this decision works for me. And my DH & I agreed that if I really take to biking and want to keep at it that we'll save up and I'll invest in a good bike from a pro shop next year. If I'm out a few $ so be it. The fact that my family had fun and was active all weekend was will be worth it!

I'm so glad to hear you and your family were able to get bikes and enoy them as a family. Cheers to you and your family!