Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How Has Being At Home More Affected Your Compliance?
It's been easier. 14 40.00%
About the same. 10 28.57%
It's been harder. 10 28.57%
Not applicable to me/no vote 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 18:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've done pork rinds with a cheese dip. Mascarpone and shredded Kerry Gold Dubliner cheese heated in the microwave oven.

The problem is, I can't fund good, imported from Italy mascarpone around here anymore. The US is made with A1 type cows, and it just isn't the same. Besides, like many people my DW has an inflammation problem with A1 dairy.

So we only buy imported from Europe or Australia as they use A2 cows.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 07:47

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Wanna know what I miss?

There's a place in town that has an all-you-can-eat wing-bar.

Hasn't really been worth it to me, financially, for a while. (I'm only likely to eat 6 or so, so off-the-menu is cheaper than the $9.99 buffet.)

But I'm obessing over them, now.

PROBABLY a sign there's not enough fat/salt in my diet. (A lot of my normal sources aren't as easily available right now)

But in the meantime, I'm fantasizing over a huge plate of greasy wings, with a side of celery & bleu cheese.

I want to need to go wash my hands and face in the bathroom when I'm done eating. (As we told my children as toddlers, "You only wear the food you love.") I want to desperately need a toothpick, to get the bits of chicken out of that gap in my teeth. I want the sauce that's slightly "too hot", so that I really appreciate the bleu cheese.

Also, I want bottomless refills on my drink. My non-water drink!!

(Full Disclosure: At home, I drink coffee in the morning. The rest of the day, it's just water. Have ordered some diet-soda with my last couple of grocery orders, but trying to ration/avoid. In more normal times, in the course of the day I'd have water, I'd have iced tea, I might have a flavored seltzer if I was craving bubbles.)

When it's finally safe to eat out again? I'll probably go... get a plate of wings off the menu (not the buffet). Or maybe do the buffet after all, because they've started serving salad on it. (I suspect that the price of an order of 6 wings AND a salad would equal the buffet price.)

Back before COVID, had a co-worker who was toying with LC. Took her there for lunch once. She thought she'd died & gone to heaven....
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 08:41

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

What I miss is just sitting down to dinner that SOMEBODY ELSE cooked! Despite occasional glitches where we can't seem to get specific foods (like eggs, chicken livers, Brussels sprouts, heavy cream) we've not had any trouble getting ENOUGH food that meets our LC dietary requirements. And I'm a good cook and pretty creative; so we definitely haven't suffered from any lack of variety or nutrients. But I am just so danged tired of eating my OWN cooking!

I want to sit down to a beautiful well-plated meal and inhale the aroma AS I survey my meal in anticipation of that first bite!

When you do the cooking, by the time you sit down to eat, you're already half nose-blind to the food's aromas. Pity-party time!
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 08:44

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
What I miss is just sitting down to dinner that SOMEBODY ELSE cooked!

That may be a big part of it!
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 09:19

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Right now I've been missing a fried fish sandwich on rye with lemon and tartar sauce. sigh.... Though not a big sandwich fan I really liked that and also grilled cheese, and a sub occasionally.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 11:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
Wanna know what I miss?

There's a place in town that has an all-you-can-eat wing-bar.

We made wings last night. Wings were really cheap at the market so I got them, browned them in oil and oven-finished them, and mixed them up in a sauce of Frank's red hot and butter. SO good. Way better than any wings we've ever had at a restaurant.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 17:05

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I had a chicken breast for lunch yesterday and it was delicious.

But it reminded me why I don't eat chicken anymore. My bursitis and my DW's arthritis immediately woke up.

The foods with the most arachidonic acid in them are egg yolks and fowl, especially chicken and duck. Both of these foods are inflammatory and wake up arthritis and bursitis.

I've read it's because they are fed so much corn, but I can't confirm that.

Bob
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 20:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Cooked wings last night in my convection oven, coated them in Old Bay seasoning and set them to roast for about 40 minutes. The result was juicy, tender, and delicious. All agreed they were better than anything we could have gotten at any of the local wing joints or restaurant/bars. From now on, we'll just cook them ourselves. Easy and tasty, but we do miss going out to dinner with friends now and again.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 22:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

But it reminded me why I don't eat chicken anymore. My bursitis and my DW's arthritis immediately woke up.

The foods with the most arachidonic acid in them are egg yolks and fowl, especially chicken and duck. Both of these foods are inflammatory and wake up arthritis and bursitis.

I've read it's because they are fed so much corn, but I can't confirm that.

Bob

I can only confirm some 50% of their intake is corn
Cant confirm that is the cause of the flare up.

Guess chicken is off the menu again.

Heard Smithfield, think thats the name, has closed its processing plant due to some 200 employees testing positive. As a major supplier of pork, I expect to see a decrease in pork at the grocery.

The number of meat processors has drastically decreased over several decades ago.....until just a handful keep us supplied.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 23:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Cooked wings last night in my convection oven, coated them in Old Bay seasoning and set them to roast for about 40 minutes. The result was juicy, tender, and delicious. All agreed they were better than anything we could have gotten at any of the local wing joints or restaurant/bars. From now on, we'll just cook them ourselves. Easy and tasty, but we do miss going out to dinner with friends now and again.

Some day soon, have friends over to enjoy those yummy wings !!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-20, 08:04

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

I can't tolerate chicken either.. D. I get joint pain from grains..even quinoa which is not a grain.