Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 01:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Thanks Labhrain. I had to tell someone who would understand!
This morn I am down 2 pounds (yay!!) so am going clean again.
Will be back later when I can prize the iPad off the kids - this is quite tricky via my phone. :0(
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 05:26
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Good job, Dita!!!! And you'll burn more calories wrestling the iPad away from the kids.

I'm down a pound today myself which again gives me a new lowest weight that I haven't seen for decades. Progress! Gosh, does anything feel better?

That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it. Uh-huh. Uh-huh.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 05:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Cheers for the two losers!
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 06:52
It's Only Food!

BF:

Thanks, JEY. Who knew I aspired to be such a loser.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yay Blueyes! Thanks Jey!
Love being a loser!

My stomach is now flat again after being so bloated - I only EVERexperience this while low carbing and love it.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 08:14

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
... I'm not sure what's happening, but it's not physically possible to maintain or gain (only to lose) weight with this huge kcal deficit and lack of carbs. So, I'm just going to give it until the weekend and see where I am. Fortunately, I have the satiety to keep me on track. If I were hungry and saw these results, I would trash the plan rather than give it more time and chance.

Reposting from the JUDDD thread, maybe this will help a little bit for those who seem to suddenly "stop" losing :

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
One of the things that Dr. Dukan says is that the body has a stabilization period as weight is lost and that during this period there's a tendency to regain the weight or to not lose more weight while the stabilization occurs. Dr. Dukan says that, in general, the stabilization period is about 5 days for every pound lost.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 09:34
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thanks, mfish. Y'know, that's stuff I know, but it's amazing how easily I can "forget" things when I'm feeling frustrated. Reminder appreciated!

Say, is anyone else having salt cravings? I mean, I've been eating quite low carb for some time, so I know it's not the whole glycogen/water/electrolytes major loss thing. But, I have to wonder if I simply wasn't getting more sodium in my previous foods. I don't restrict salt, so it's not as if that's an issue. But, since doing Stillman, I find myself putting salt in my hand and licking it off from time to time. I am also adding a bit of potassium chloride salt to food to make sure my potassium intake isn't suffering. But, I'm really surprised at how much salt I want.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 09:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

What a bunch of losers!! .
I'm looking forward to seeing my own belly deflate at least a bit. Note to self: keep track of waist measurement as well as scale weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
I really don't like low fat, but it seems to be the only way I lose a good amount of weight. I'd like to be done with this never-ending battle once and for all. I finally know how to keep my weight stable - high fat, moderate protein, very low carb. It works for me. But I need to lose another 20 lbs, and I'm afraid only the low fat approach is going to do that, sigh.
Even Dr. Atkins acknowledged that some people do better on a lower fat version of the LC diet. We're all unique, and LC isn't one size fits all. The one thing Atkins emphasized - and I totally agree - is that we should avoid a "no fat" diet. Dietary fat isn't just a source of empty calories, it provides essential nutrients. Using the menu planner in the QWL cookbook as a guide, I plugged a few sample days in my diet tracker ... average 1200 calories per day, ~30% fat .

Once upon a time, a very high fat w. moderate protein regimen worked well for me. Now it's stopped working and it doesn't make sense to continue. Who knows though, at some point lower fat, higher protein might stop working ... then a switch back to high fat might just get things rolling again .

#69   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:19
It's Only Food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Once upon a time, a very high fat w. moderate protein regimen worked well for me. Now it's stopped working and it doesn't make sense to continue. Who knows though, at some point lower fat, higher protein might stop working ... then a switch back to high fat might just get things rolling again .

I sort of see it that way too. While high protein, moderate fat always has worked for me I went with the LCHF thinking it was better. Not for me, so much. But we are free to try other things as we go along. It's part of the journey.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
Hi Fauve and welcome. Your situation sounds just like me. I could maintain the losses I'd achieved on high fat, moderate protein and very low carb, but couldn't lose any more weight. I just couldn't get kcals to a reasonable level, while staving off hunger, on that regimen. My tastebuds would prefer more fat in my diet, but right now, this keeps me sated and is helping me to lose more weight. Hence, my current motto: satiety over variety.

Thanks Labhrain. I have started going lower fat, step 1: add less fat when cooking. Then I'll go with no added fat, and see if I can lose like that. Step 3, if necessary, will be low fat food.
I like your motto very much. Plan to print it and put near fridge. Thanks so very much.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:39

BF:

Quote:
Even Dr. Atkins acknowledged that some people do better on a lower fat version of the LC diet. We're all unique, and LC isn't one size fits all. The one thing Atkins emphasized - and I totally agree - is that we should avoid a "no fat" diet. Dietary fat isn't just a source of empty calories, it provides essential nutrients.

I agree too, Doreen, 'no fat' is a bad idea. I don't think it is possible really, when I eat meat, there is always some fat. No plans to go vegan here, lol.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:41

BF:

Quote:
average 1200 calories per day, ~30% fat

Mm, thanks for this guideline. I'm going to play with the numbers a bit too, and see what I come up with. This good be a really good plan.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:42
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I can't imagine a near 0 fat diet being a good idea. We do need dietary fat for good health. I think lower to moderate is fine for those of us who seem to need more protein, but still have to watch the kcals. My fat intake is between 30 and 40% of daily kcals, which average about 1200 per day. So, not tons of fat, but certainly no attempts at no fat. And, as Fauve points out, it's hard to achieve no or close to no fat intake while eating meat. Even lean meats have some fat.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Just had a can of tuna in water for lunch Had to break down and add a teaspoon of mayo. Suppose I could buy a bottle of non-fat dressing...there isn't a non-fat thing in the house. We've come a long way down the low carb road. Any ideas to make it a tad more palatable?
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
While high protein, moderate fat always has worked for me I went with the LCHF thinking it was better. Not for me, so much. But we are free to try other things as we go along. It's part of the journey.

Completely agree with you there, Blue.