Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 11:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Boneless, Skinless, Chicken breasts: Sautee in a non-stick pan until just golden brown on each side, then transfer the pieces (I cut each breast in half) to a covered casserole, put something liquid and low fat on top (I used a can of diced tomatoes, but salsa or low fat dressing works) and microwave on 30% power. About 10 minutes for 2 pounds. This way they look grilled but stay moist inside.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-31-12 at 12:06.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 12:03

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
If y'all find a "tasty" way to make them, I'm all ears. I've simmered them in chicken broth and herbs. Sometimes I've thrown on sriracha sauce to spice it up but that's one of the dreaded nightshades. After a while it's just food and it helps kill the appetite.

I've been eating a lot of boneless/skinless chix breast lately. My favorite way to cook it, lots of flavor, and it stays really juicy...either cut the breast crosswise into medallions or lengthwise splitting the front and back so it's not so hefty. I then season both sides with some garlic powder, cracked black pepper, then some Herb-ox chicken bouillon powder (while MSG free, the bouillon does have some carb-stuffs in it, but at only 5 calories per teaspoon I don't worry about it since I am using that much or less).

I use a steel skillet with nonstick cooking spray... make sure it's hot enough to start browning the chicken when you place it in the pan. Flip it when you have good browning, and after the second side has browned cover it to finish cooking, it doesn't take but a few minutes more.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 12:46
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thank you, JEY and mfish! They both look good to me.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 02:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey everyone.
I've not done Stillmans before but have done Dukan and tbh am finding it very similar - am I right in thinking once I get to where I want to be his 'cruise' phase would be a good way to go? That was the plan.
The Wiltshire countryside is very beautiful, my grandparents live out in the sticks in a little village and I love to go there - they have a beautiful garden and over the fence the view is just fields, fields and more fields. The rain though, is rapidly getting very old. We have just finished a 2 week hot and sunny spell but now it's back to rain and gloom for the kids' summer break.

With regards the ol' target weight, all I can say is the overweight doctor who took great pleasure in telling me I was overweight, told me at 5'11 I should weigh between 9st9 I think (!!) and 12st11. I'm currently 13 straight so officially 2 lbs overweight. I was 12stone at the start of the Queens Jubilee but with all the street parties and drinking Pimms, eating fresh cream and strawberries and lots of afternoon cream teas with scones I gained a stone.
Not too bad really since it was a 2 week bender and well worth it!

I have an unfortunate pear shape - fortunate that it is so say healthier to carry weight this way, but unfortunate in that my chest/collar bone area gets very skinny and chicken chest like, while my saddlebags refuse to budge - I absolutely despise them, they look disgusting from every angle - lumpy and wobbly and awful. I am determined to reduce them further and as they are made up of very stubborn fat they will be the last to go.
I am still 182, not lost yesterday or today.

Can I ask you guys what you think of all this counting calories on Stillmans thing? I thought the idea was eat till you're satisfied, not stuffed? Typically I'll have a 2 egg omelette made in a non stick pan, so dry fried, with 100g of lean turkey mince in it.
2 small chicken breasts, oven baked in some water.
A home made beef patty, from lean steak mince, dry fried.
3 - 3.5 ltrs of water (I'm in the habit)
Couple of decaf black coffees.
I added this up yesterday and it came out around 1100. :/
Is this bad? I guess maybe as until yest/today I was losing daily. Though saying that I think my TOM is due as I feel my stress levels rising.

Blue Eyes - Can you remember what clothes size you were at 155 and 5'11?
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 04:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Dita,
I'm over my goal as well..and it all started around Wimbledon and one Pimms which lead to another...Jubilee right through to the Olympics. Didn't dive into any scones though..only because I would have had to make them here. Your reasons for a slight gain are all perfectly understandable to me and well-worth the 2 week bender! The Pear-shape and wobbly bits are understandable, alas, on my body too...you are among friends. Would think you have lost some water weight quickly if your extra (six?) pounds are from short-term off-plan eating like that, the fat loss will be slower. Was your doctor using some weight chart left over from war-time rationing?

There is no need to count calories on the QWL diet, nor Dukan for that matter. Now some of the other crazy diets in Stillman's first book do have calorie limits, but for QWL, your menu seems very good..not bad (well, not tasty either, but you are following the plan to a T Never thought I would actually miss coconut oil and butter in my eggs). The protein should satisfy enough so you will naturally eat less..1100 calorie is not much. I know my calories because I use a tracker app, but I am eating to satiety.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 05:51
It's Only Food!

BF:

Wow, tall people! I like that! I always feel like Bluezilla when talking to the other folks. Honeypie, Dita and I are all about the same.

Dita, I wore a ladies size 10 when I was 143. Occasionally I got into an 8 but that was rare. That was the old sizes in the 1970's. Today's sizes are larger and I'm guessing that it would have been an 8 today. When I was 155 I wore a ladies size 12. My wedding dress was a 12 that had to be taken in on the torso which makes me laugh out loud now. Today I'm guessing it would be a 10. But these are US sizes so I don't know how they translate to UK sizes today.

Okay....so I'm having issues. Is Marxist now known as femur? Where did my post go commenting to Dita that I've been to Wiltshire? I feel as if I've landed in Oz. I loved driving through that area, Dita. I hope to come back to England one day. So much to see and so little time.

As for shapes, I'm an apple who is melting from the top down giving me a bulbous middle which I refer to as "gourd shaped." Hmmmph.

I still had cream in my coffee this morning. No other "cheats" and I'm back down to my lowest weight thus far. New territory awaits!

As for calories.....I don't pay attention to them either. I don't gorge, I eat on plan and I drink my water. However it falls out, it falls. I do, however know what my stats are because I log all my food into fatsecret.com. It's habit but it keeps me honest too.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Wed, Aug-01-12 at 07:17.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 07:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Good morning everybody (or afternoon, as the case may be ). Congrats to those who've broken into new territory

I'll be joining you in earnest on Friday; still have a few perishable non-Stillman foods to finish off .. salad greens, tomatoes and half an avocado. Yesterday my elderly neighbour gave a bag of freshly picked green beans from her daughter's garden as thanks for watering plants and collecting mail while she was away. It could've been worse .. a box of candy .. but thankfully she knows I don't eat sweets. Truth be told .. I *want* to enjoy the fresh picked flavour .. frozen green beans can be had any ol' time.

Meanwhile, I've been cutting back on added fat, using just a dot of light half & half in my coffee, and drinking 8 glasses of water. I tried the 6 smaller meals thing, but it seemed ridiculous eating by the clock rather than by hunger. So I think I'll start with 3 meals and keep track of hunger with that.

Keep up the good work

Doreen
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 08:23
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
As for shapes, I'm an apple who is melting from the top down giving me a bulbous middle which I refer to as "gourd shaped." Hmmmph.

I see me all over that description. It's funny. While the pear shapes hate their shapes, the apple shapes feel the same. While I have slender legs and arms (for the most part,) and my face has let go of the huge amounts of bloat it had, the bulk of my last 30 or so pounds is right in my mid-section: a big belly. I HATE it. It makes buying pants impossible. I have to buy a big enough waist, but then the hips and butt don't fill out. Ridiculous! I've found a few pair of jeans that have less of this issue than others, but none that completely deal with it.

I'm just going to basically copy and paste what I wrote on another thread about my weight loss progress at the moment. I finished out yesterday with 1,075 kcals, about 70% protein and 30% fat. (I don't bother to count the 1% carbohydrate.) I'm a bit concerned, as I've lost no weight the past few days, and this is still week one. In fact, I show a 1 lb. gain this morning, after having quickly lost 3 pounds. I imagine that I've shocked the hell out of my body with these low kcals (I used to eat well over 2,000 daily,) but I am eating to satiety, so...unless I want to add in a bit of fat, this is where the kcals land. I don't think it should be an issue. The other things could be water, and, of course, every single month, without fail, during TOM I get constipated for several days. I'm there right now. It's been a few days. This is not Stillman related - it is absolutely, 100% typical of my TOM every single month. It's a drag, but it's been this way my entire life since my TOM began at age 13, so I live with it. While I can see it making a 1 (maybe 2) lb difference, though, I'd have thought that I'd have lost enough to still show a net loss since my last weigh in, as opposed to a net gain since my last weigh-in. I'm not sure what's happening, but it's not physically possible to maintain or gain (only to lose) weight with this huge kcal deficit and lack of carbs. So, I'm just going to give it until the weekend and see where I am. Fortunately, I have the satiety to keep me on track. If I were hungry and saw these results, I would trash the plan rather than give it more time and chance.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 08:37

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Stick with it labhrain, and I am sure it will work. Sometimes Stillmans isn't a ticket a to the races.... one lady that used to post in the old thread did it for like 6 months, and lost 60 lbs, which she was absolutely thrilled with. However, she was on like 700 Stillman's calories a day.

To me,... that was not even fast! But good for her, that she stuck with it, and saw RESULTS!!!!!!

You are doing AWESOME with your calories. After my off-plan ice cream this weekend I feel like my calories were higher than they would have been otherwise, for the last two days. I am hoping to get them down too, though.

Have a great day!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 09:12
Real food!

BF:

Thanks, Honeypie. And, Blue reminded me on another thread that I've been low carbing for 20 months before taking on Stillman, so I can't expect to see the kinds of dramatic results people see when they move from the SAD to a low carb diet. Instead, my results are likelier to be the more mundane type, that typically includes ups and downs. She's right. I need to chill.

I'm just happy to not be a slave to eating right now, as well. Even my husband noted that I'm not eating so much like I was before. I don't find myself particularly hungry after dinner. I make it fine between meals. Sure, I'm hungry at mealtime, but not so much that I can't stand it, and I'm easily sated. Nice change of pace.

I think that once you still with the "plain" Stillman foods, your ice cream moment will be cleared up in no time, and your kcals will drop down because the protein-heavy diet will satisfy you. You'll probably lose a lot of that desire to eat the sweets, as well, helping you to stay away from ice cream this weekend.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 10:07
It's Only Food!

BF:

Doreen, there is nothing like fresh green beans. Enjoy them!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 10:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
I'll be joining you in earnest on Friday; Doreen

I am playing with that idea too. I really don't like low fat, but it seems to be the only way I lose a good amount of weight. I'd like to be done with this never-ending battle once and for all. I finally know how to keep my weight stable - high fat, moderate protein, very low carb. It works for me. But I need to lose another 20 lbs, and I'm afraid only the low fat approach is going to do that, sigh. So yes, seriously thinking of joining you all.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 11:21
Real food!

BF:

Hi Fauve and welcome. Your situation sounds just like me. I could maintain the losses I'd achieved on high fat, moderate protein and very low carb, but couldn't lose any more weight. I just couldn't get kcals to a reasonable level, while staving off hunger, on that regimen. My tastebuds would prefer more fat in my diet, but right now, this keeps me sated and is helping me to lose more weight. Hence, my current motto: satiety over variety.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Just wanted to report in as I am very pleased with myself - I have had a totally clean day today!
I am hoping to be rewarded on the scales in the morn but we will see.....
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 13:41
Real food!

BF:

Great news, Dita! So happy for you.