Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 20:43
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Marxist, that pilot's diet looks a bit...extreme LOL. Too funny.

Yay, Honeypie! I'm really excited for you. You sound so motivated. Of course, new skinny jeans are definitely a good motivator. You'll be rocking them before you know it
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 20:44

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Ok, I don't have the book. What's the Pilot's Diet please?
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 20:54
Real food!

BF:

I had to look it up myself until I get a book. It's only 350 kcals per day! Definitely not something I could handle.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:05
Real food!

BF:

I just finished dinner, and I think I'm done for the day. It's late enough (8 pm) that I won't be needing any kind of snack later. And, I feel satisfied. I find I'm always hungriest at dinner time than I am earlier in the day, so I just go ahead and feed it.

Finished the day with approximately 1075 kcals, 156 grams protein and 43 grams fat. This was a very light day for me, compared to my first 3 days. I've been eating about 25-30 or so more grams protein. Ah, well, my kcals have been low every day, and I'm losing, so I'm not going to worry about some days being higher and some lower. That's probably not a bad thing, anyway.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:13

BF:

Wow, you have done SO GREAT today, Labhrain!!

I am really excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:15
Real food!

BF:

Thanks, Honeypie. It seems to be getting easier as the days go on. I'm sure I'll feel bored, but I'm keeping that new motto of mine in mind: satiety over variety. As long as my hunger is satisfied, it's easier to deal with the rest.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:19

BF:

That is a REALLY good motto!! I am going to try this motto later this week, .... as I am feeling VERY unconfident about my ability/commitment to stick to this diet while I am traveling, later this week.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:25
Real food!

BF:

Traveling can be hard, but I had to eat out the other day. What I did was I checked the restaurant's menu online first. If you can do that, it's really helpful. I found a 6 oz sirloin steak on the "light menu." The light menu typically means it's low in fat, so that part is handled. I decided to order it without the rub, and just add salt and pepper at the table after being served. And, also, to say no to the side of broccoli that comes with it. If I were particularly hungry, I could have asked for a hard boiled egg on the side.

Most restaurants do a decent job of working with requests. And, most restaurants have low fat meat items. If you order the meat only, without the sides, you should be able to do okay. It probably won't be as interesting as something you might do at home, but it's temporary, until you get home and you can make your own food.

As far as other people, I find most people don't care what I order/eat in a restaurant. They're far more interested in their own meals. And, if anyone asks, I just say that I'm not very hungry or that I've have some dietary restriction as the moment. Most people don't ask anything further.

I get nervous before I have to eat at a restaurant, too, but I'll bet you'll do just fine.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:38

BF:

Thank you for the confidence in me and encouragement, Labhrain!!

I have a real tendency to go COMPLETELY off the rails when I travel. I am hoping to not do that this time!!!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:48
Real food!

BF:

Keep visualizing yourself in those skinny jeans.

I have a lovely designer jacket style top and a black leather skirt that I want to wear to my best friend's annual Christmas party this year. I had hoped to wear it last year, but didn't achieve that. With the help of Stillman, I sure have my eye on it for this year's party. I bought the top on a whim, as a big present to myself, while I was still overweight, as an incentive to lose weight. Fortunately, it's a classic look, so it won't go out of style while I'm waiting to reach goal. So, I'll keep thinking of that outfit for the Christmas party, and you think about those jeans. Hang 'em on your wall if you have to! LOL.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie
Ok, I don't have the book. What's the Pilot's Diet please?

It took some digging, but I found an old newspaper article about it, from April 1962. Bombs Away on Ugly Fat! . The secret wasn't the diet so much as the little happy pill (dexedrine) that went along with it.

Doctors back in the 1950's and 60's regularly prescribed amphetamines for weight loss. Weeeeeeeee ... !!!!!

#27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:54
Real food!

BF:

Oh, goodness, I didn't realize the Dexadrine part of it. I remember my ex-MIL was always taking "diet pills." Pretty much, they were all just speed, which did suppress her appetite, but also made her a bit, shall we say, high strung. Loved her dearly and she was so good to me, but you could always tell when she was getting help from the doc for weight loss.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 03:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi, to all on Stillman's!

I am somewhat on board with you this week as I have another doctor appointment at Duke coming up, and my weight will be going on that one big happy electronic medical record In the sky they keep on me whenever and wherever I step on a DukeHospital owned scale. Always an incentive to reverse a bit of weight gain.

Glad there is a new thead, Thanks Doreen!

Amazingly low calories for you Lab! Great that you are not hungry.

The Pilot's Diet lunch was 3.5 ounces of salad with no-cal dressing...really, why bother? Just pop the pill and skip food altogether. The book has dozens of other diets, my favorite was lettuce and tomato at lunch and dinner, for a total of 40 calories a day! At least that one was honestly called "semi-starvation".

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jul-30-12 at 08:22.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 07:23
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I have packed good, Stillman friendly foods for lunch. I did have cream in my coffee for my first cup only. I'm not going to guarantee I'll give that up entirely, but I'm making a good go of the rest! Poor TAJ is so confused. I didn't explain to him the change so he's a little baffled by my avoidance of mayonnaise in my chicken salad and lack of salad with lunch. However I do have my two liters of water with me!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 08:13
Real food!

BF:

Good morning, fellow Stillmanites. This morning, I didn't show a loss on the scale, despite my very low kcal day. But, I'm certain that is because today is my heavy TOM day, so lots of water bloat comes with that. It's really hard to tell what's happening with weight for a few days during TOM. But, I feel good, so I am not going to worry about it. I know my body well enough to know that, at this intake level, I will definitely be losing more weight.

Nice to see you on board for a bit, Janet. Stillman is definitely a good way to drop some weight for something like your Duke weigh-in. I hope it goes quite well.

Blue, my Jim is a bit confused as well. A few weeks ago, I was cutting back on eggs and meat and eating more fat with veggies. Now, I'm skipping the oils and veggies, and eating lots of meat and eggs. He said yesterday that he's having a hard time getting used to what I'm doing, and doesn't really know what to take out for dinner - more meat? less meat? And, the 5 dozen eggs in the fridge was a bit of a head-scratcher for him, too. I told him I like eggs, and they'r'e a convenient and inexpensive form of protein. Want less fat? Toss the yolk.

Hope everyone has a great day!