Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 21:36
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Lightbulb Carne Seca [Dried Beef] making Pemmican

I bought two bags of the Carne Seca at the local Mexican meat market to make pemmican. Its the same market I buy my boneless rib-eye, carnitas, tripas etc. It was pricey though about $15 a pound-- comparable to commercial jerky. It has a recipe for Machacado Con Huevo (Beef with Eggs) on the back. I was a little confused since the nutrition facts showed in addition to sodium 1010 mg/ 1/3 cup it had 4g total carbohydrate? The ingredients list: Beef and salt.

Since I had lots of tallow saved, beef, lamb, bacon and ungulate I wanted to use up I though I would save a step and just make some pemmican. I simmered the fat(s) then packed the dried meat into two bread pans about two and a half inches deep, poured the fat over and packed everything down with a spatula. When it cools ill slice the product into bars, wrap with foil and store in Tupperware in the fridge. I think it will be great for snacks as part of my Atkins plan without requiring a lot of preparation-- somewhat like I use cooked bacon and hard boiled eggs. I found several pemmican recipes on the net. The one below was good, but I got a kick out of his caution disclaimer:
Quote:
Consumption of hard fat can be unhealthy for sedentary people, and protein over-consumption can overload the body with uric acid (which may lead to gout) and calcium oxalate (the mineral which forms kidney stones). Ketones may also build up in the system, causing kidney damage.
When will the disinformation come to an end?

Pemmican Recipe by Tamarack Song:

http://www.natureskills.com/pemmican_recipe.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 22:46

Plan: Food Combining/JUDDD
Stats: 160/147/127 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

That's awesome. Quick question... how long does the tallow keep? Do you clarify it? Freeze it? Keep it in the fridge?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 23:07

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

As far as I know, there is no possibility of oxalates forming from meat protein. Oxalates are found mostly in grains, nuts and beans, so if you're getting all your protein from soy maybe it's a problem. Ridiculous!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid
Quote:
Oxalic acid and oxalates are abundantly present in many plants, most notably fat hen (lamb's quarters), sorrel, and Oxalis species. The root and/or leaves of rhubarb and buckwheat are listed being high in oxalic acid.[8]

Other edible plants that contain significant concentrations of oxalic acid include—in decreasing order—star fruit (carambola), black pepper, parsley, poppy seed, amaranth, spinach, chard, beets, cocoa, chocolate, most nuts, most berries, and beans.

The gritty “mouth feel” one experiences when drinking milk with a rhubarb dessert is caused by precipitation of calcium oxalate. Thus even dilute amounts of oxalic acid can readily "crack" the casein found in various dairy products.

Leaves of the tea plant (Camellia sinensis) contain among the greatest measured concentrations of oxalic acid relative to other plants. However the infusion beverage typically contains only low to moderate amounts of oxalic acid per serving, due to the small mass of leaves used for brewing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 10:21
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle
That's awesome. Quick question... how long does the tallow keep? Do you clarify it? Freeze it? Keep it in the fridge?
I keep fat in the fridge, even at 50*F it won't spoil if pure-- I had one tub go moldy on top after a year so I threw it out. I think that was old bacon grease. In days olde they used to "pot meat" or preserve it cooked with lard on top.

BTW: I poured the hot lard thru a screen into the pans to catch any hard 'cracklings' or other impurities that didn't float to the top or sink to the bottom.

Ill report back how it tastes later since its an survival food ... Friday is rib-eye and bacon night
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 10:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/255/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -88%

That is a pretty sweet deal...I might look into making my own! I've thought about making just regular jerky before but a part of me cringes to think of shrinking down all that beautiful beef.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 10:53

Plan: Food Combining/JUDDD
Stats: 160/147/127 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I keep fat in the fridge, even at 50*F it won't spoil if pure-- I had one tub go moldy on top after a year so I threw it out. I think that was old bacon grease. In days olde they used to "pot meat" or preserve it cooked with lard on top.

BTW: I poured the hot lard thru a screen into the pans to catch any hard 'cracklings' or other impurities that didn't float to the top or sink to the bottom.

Thanks so much! I was concerned my fat would go bad. I think I'll heat it up and pour it through a screen - clarify it - I have some nice yellow fat from my batch of oxtail

Enjoy your dinner tonight!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-09, 14:56
Grease is the word!

Default I cut meat bars today ...

I took the pans out of the fridge, ran a butter knife around the edges of the meat then over and turned then pounded it out on a cutting board for slicing. It takes a very sharp knife to slice. I tried a bite, its like a greasy bacon flavored jerky. It takes some chewing, but its not too dry or tough. I could barely taste the red pepper I added to the hot fat earlier; and the pemmican was not very salty so I rolled the bars in some Kosher salt and coarse black pepper before I wrapped them in foil to store in a container in the fridge.

I think the best fat to use would be harder fats like tallow or lamb? as natural lard can get soft in warm temperatures or even melt. It shouldn't be a problem if kept in the fridge though.

All in all it was an successful experiment I have no idea of the amount of calories per 1x1x5" by 5 ounce bar.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-09, 16:28
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Mike I used to have some old cowboys come into my restaurant years ago. They made something very similar to what you did, but they powdered the jerky before hand in a flour sack (towel or food processor would work) Then added the fat, sorry never asked what type. I tried it with coconut oil and powdered jerky that I made in my dehydrator, worked like you said, but way to soft of fat, melted in your hand! Best of luck I'll keep on eye on this thread.
PS tried the Pemmican from the grass fed place U.S. Wellness....didn't like the taste at all!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 10:45
Grease is the word!

An 5 oz bar should contain ~ 1200 calories 75% from fat.

One of those with three eggs and a can of sardines would be enough for a whole day! I am so frustrated with my progress lately or lack thereof I am planning to give this a try

A little bacon grease and coarse black pepper added to the fat improves the taste, but makes em a tad softer-- I eat em straight out of the fridge or even the freezer-- if I am hungry enough

BTW: Dogs love em