Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/181/158 Female 62
BF:
Progress:
Default silly question about flare ups

How long do they last? and are most people bothered by the extra cold weather in the winter? It seems as though I have been in major pain for about 4 days now. Getting to the point where I am taking too much advil. Any suggestions? I am waiting for the official diagnosis. The doctor got the bloodwork back and nothing was wrong (no arthritis, no lupus, no hypothyroidism). He told me that would mean that is wasy fibro.

just wanted some good advice from people who seem to know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 18:47

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi lillo1,
My last flare-up (fibro) started in Aug. and lasted 4 months. Unfortunately while in the midst of this last attack I also suffered much depression and totally kissed my WOL good-bye. I gained 15#'s during this time. A girlfried told me that I knew exactly what to do to start feeling better. Altho she was not LCing she told me that 'I' knew that LCing made me feel better and I should either start eating right for my physical and emotional health or quit complaining about the pain and depression. She was right and I appreciate her being so forthright. I did not FEEL like getting my diet back on track but I did so because I knew she was right. Wouldn't you know, in about 2-3 weeks I was feeling about 80% better. Now after about 6 weeks I feel great, still some pain but depression is gone. I was feeding the symptoms so that they would stay with me. URGH!!!!
My flare ups do not seem to have a connection with weather (was 90's+ in Aug), but there is DEFINITELY a connection with stress. I was under a lot from April to Aug when I finally caved.
After having been diagnosed with FM I have never had one last as long as this one I know giving up my way of eating was definately a contributine factor. See where a pity party got me.
I hope my little tirade will help encourage you to stay true to your WOE so you don't have to go thru what I did. (I hate having to lose this weight AGAIN, I took it off once, grrrrr).
I wish I could be more help, all I can say is: Manage Stress, Avoid Stress at all costs. Remember the old song "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" And don't feed the depression if you get that with the FM.
I hope you have good support people you can talk to who will understand that you are not 'just complaining' you truly do have something wrong.
Blessings, Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I am bothered by cold weather. It's fine as long as I stay bundled up, but every now and then, I feel a chill, and then I ACHE.
I also have a hard time washing my hands in cold water. I feel arthritic for about an hour afterwards.
This never happened before I had fibro.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 18:46

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Say It Loud, Specialk...

I believe stress is a major component of FMS. And I believe that this and hormones are why women suffer so much more with FMS (sorry fellas). We've all heard the saying that "a man will flourish in marriage not matter what, but a bad marriage will kill a woman"....well, I believe that of any relationship that a woman is in. The first time I noticed somethign wrong, I was having trouble with my teenage daughter. And maybe the guys who suffer with FMS are more emotional than other guys...I don't know. But I believe we FMS people suffer so much with autoimmune diseases because we feel so much and carry such emotional burdens.

I also suffer with weather, but with weather changes, more than temperature etc. I suffer in the extreme of winter (Jan/Feb) and I suffer in the extreme of summer (July/August).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

THanks guys. It helps to know I am not the only one out there. I have been seeing the chiropractor. He is certain that at one time or another, I had whiplash. I don't remember every having suffered it, however, anything is possible. He feels that this may be the reason I developed FM. From a major trauma to my neck. He also feels that my symptons have become worse because of the extra strain on my neck lately. That is causing a flare up. I have been miserable lately.

At least today, I am not dropping over with exhaustion. I don't know what to do about that. I have a little girl who just turned 3 today. I don't have the luxury of being able to take time to rest. I have to be moving and looking after her. She needs me, and it is my responsiblity to be there for her.

I guess I'll do the best that I can.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully, by reading and digesting this info on this forum, i will be able to manage my Fm better and better each day.

By the way, I seem to have developed these problems while lcing. I have been dedicated to this WOL for over a year now. I don't have any idea what I could have been doing differently as far as food is concerned.

I do know that my stress level has been up a lot lately. That must be the most important contributing factor.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

If astrology is true, then your little girl will be a terrific person!!! (It's my birthday too)

My fibro was caused by whiplash as well. I think all we can do is stick with what we know is helping, even if it can't cure. I got discouraged and had some things on the LC (and fibro) no-no list and I PAID for it. I just look back on it as sort of a test, and this WOL passed. Eating differently is an invitation to disaster for me. I will never go back.

Good luck to you, and I wish you many more days when you can chase the little one!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 19:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Sknymonkey

I am not even sure what things I am eating that could be causing the flare up. I know that when the weather changes, I feel it. I can tell before the storm what is gonna happen. Every part of me get way too tense.

My neck has even been more our of line than usual as well. I am just trying to keep up with Morgan and there are times that I know I just have to sit and rest. Poor little girl is always going to the doctors with mom. that must be so much fun for her. But she gets upset when I go without her. I guess it is good for kids to see reality as well as fantasy.

Anyway, thanks to all for their advice. I know I am new to this and have much to learn about handling fibro. I will be continuing my research and everything I can to keep myself sane. At least I have a doctor who is willing to diagnose it and treat it. He hasn't ever told me it is in my head.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:17
Registered Member

Stats: 215/182/145 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

lil
read the book THE CORTISOL CONNECTION asap!! It was amazing-my blood tests came back norm also-but my Dr, did not do a cortisol level test (cortisol is the bodies hormone it releases in connection to stress) and my was off the chart after he tested me-He advised i read that book and start on a supplement Relacore or rela-Cortin(found at GNC)it was the most ammazing tranformation ever and helped reduce my belly fat-regulated my blood sugar and a host of other benefits-read the book avail on line i found it at barnes and noble you will be glad you did!!!!
tamij
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 18:04

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, lill01...

glad to hear of the good results and am considering going to GNC tomorrow, but can you tell me how it helped your Fibro? Or if it did?

Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 19:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thanks for the advice. I will ask my dr to check the cortisol levels when I see him in a few weeks. I will be doing my research.

Thanks for the advice