Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 02:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy How do you get others to understand?

How do I get family, friends and coworkers to understand the pain, "brain fog", fatigue, headaches and on and on that I am dealing with???
My husband says there's nothing wrong with me.
A manager at work has been telling others that she feels I'm not being truthful, just trying to get out of work at the company's expense (I'm on partial disability).
My kids don't get why I have to ask for extra help with home maintenance.

I guess they'd accept my condition more if I walked around moaning, groaning and grimacing with pain. But- I won't do that. I'm trying to live my life as "normally" as possible.

How did you handle this? I would appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 23:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Deb,

Colinjn posted a link to this terrific, moving essay written by a woman with a chronic, invisible illness. You read it, and I think it will help you be able to explain to others .. or maybe they can read it too.

But You Don't Look Sick

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:50

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

That article was so moving. I only wish I had read it sooner.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 01:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%

THat article has been a bit of a god-send to me. It's helped me to explain just what this does to a person.

Though - there are plenty of other who really just refuse to "get-it". And that Fibro is a very real, and very disabling illness.I"m afraid I'm building up a bit of a tough skin. I try to explain, but too many people just don't want to hear it - or think I"m just being flat-out lazy. I've really only recently come to the disappointing reality that I Will be dealing wiht this the rest of my life (after dealing wiht this for well nearly 20 years) - so I guess it's understandable that those who are unaffected don't "get-it".

On the other hand - I am alos encountering an astounding number of individuals who DO have Fibro - or know someone who does. They may not truly understand, but I find it heartening that this affliction that so many doctors treat as some kind of emotional crutch or hysteria (if they acknoweldge it at all!) is becoming MUCH more known. 2 years ago I couldn't find a soul who had any idea what it was - much less how badly it can affect life.

~Tracy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 12:33

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Wink but you look ok ....

I am a newcomer to this site and I am so glad I found it. I have suffered 20 yrs of fibro with no-one to talk to who knows what I am feeling.

I wanted to bring your post to the top of the pile.. at least I hope thats what new posts do here.. as I too was very moved by the note on the site you posted what a great way to explain our dilemma.

The medical site is terrific for diagnosing/explaining conditions too so I have bookmarked it.

Despite being in agony for years I too soldiered on to the best of my ability refusing to give in to this illness. My mother was the only person who truly understood what I was going through and really helped me whenever she could and now bless her soul she too has been diagnosed with it and knows with first hand experience just how disabling this condition is.

Things can get depressing when you are in constant pain, its so good to know you can come here and be with like minded friends and support each other!

gentle hugs, sandi
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 04:56

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I usually expain it that its like riding a surf board, that it takes a lot of effort to stay on top - mentally - but if I come off - the pain etc gets on top of me - and its real hard work getting back on top of that surf board - just to be in control.

Does this make sense or am I just waffling?!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:15

BF:

Hi Jems,

I think thats a great description.. your right we do have to have tremendous willpower to stay on top of the pain and not let it get the better of us otherwise we are sunk.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 11:54

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

There is a wonderful message forum - the largest in the world, and you all really need to check it out. It has the lastest in everything+ real supportive folks on there.
If you go to this address you will find it.

http://immunesupport.com/chat/forums

They have a fibromyalgia + chronic fatique board + the message board is excellent!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:06

BF:

Thank you very much sunneywey, will check it out now.. we need all the support and information we can get!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 18:27

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

God bless you. But I've run out of spoons for now. night. kuukuu