Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-13, 20:29
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Thank you everyone who posted here today! I am returning to LC after a few months off of the wagon and DESPERATELY needed to see this thread. It's not like I didn't realize that I was a carb addict (let's not talk about that nightly little Debbie and ice cream ritual...) but seeing it in PRINT really hit home. I look forward to re-reading this thread many times in the coming weeks for continued motivation!!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 06:17

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you very much for putting this thread in the "Best Of" section. It is spot on for me.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-18, 04:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

I'm not sure If I've replied to this thread in the past or not but I will say for sure that I'm a sugar/carb addict. I have the "addict thinking" about food for sure.

I low carbed successfully for almost 5 years and then in the blink of an eye...allowed my addiction to rule what I put in my mouth.

Here I am 10 years later trying to get back on track. Yuk.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-18, 06:37
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

No question about it, I am a carb addict. I KNOW I'll never be cured but I can control it by stickin' to my WOE religiously... my continued good health depends on it.

And it still is ONE DAY, ONE MEAL at a time for me...
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-21, 09:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Amazing how threads pop up just when needed on this forum. I landed here by shear luck......and the first post is just what I need right now. Been struggling for a while and packing on the pounds.....
  #66   ^
Old Sun, May-16-21, 04:49

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thank you for bringing this thread forward.
I am a recovering alcoholic. I learned I was an alcoholic in 1985 and began going to AA meetings. Only problem was - cookies and donuts were always available. Alcoholics know the problem is sugar so substitute high sugar foods for alcohol. I binged on sugary foods, congratulating myself that I was controlling my drinking.
But I was feeding my addiction to sugar.

So I went to Overeaters Anonymous where I heard everyone complain about falling off the wagon. Problem was, we were all eating the "healthy" diet of high carb, low fat.Weight Watchers and nutritionists groups all were based on the same "health diet." I continued to gain.

It wasn't until I read Protein Power in 2006, that I became convinced that high sugar carbs were my enemy. And I went low carb. Lost 80 pounds.

Problem is, I have never lost my obsession for sugar. Foods that are not obviously sugar based remain an issue. I can abstain from high sugar content foods most of the time, but I do fall off the wagon. I can abstain from moderate high sugar foods (the grains) most of the time, but I do fall off the wagon with the fatal "just this once won't hurt me."

A desire for a certain taste calls me until I give in and eat it - then it doesn't taste the same as I remembered - so I don't eat it again - until the next time.

When food calls me, I look for acceptable low-carb, low-grain substitutes. Pork rinds are too dry. Nuts put on weight in the amounts I eat them. Pickles and cheese are not satisfying nor are cheese filled celery sticks. Nor is broth. Since I don't have acceptable substitutes, the obsession just gets bigger and bigger until I fall off the wagon and have croissants or corn on the cob. Then it's over till the next time.

Yes, I am an addict that is in control most of the time. But not always. I am too inconsistent to be in control all the time.

Thank you for reviving this thread. It means a lot to me. And thank you for letting me share my experience with my addictions (although I didn't mention giving up my 3 pack a day smoking habit in 1977. The hardest thing I ever did. Much harder than giving up beer).

The difference between addiction to smoking, alcohol and high sugar content foods, is that giving up smoking and drinking is a one-time decision - an either or. High carb foods must be given up at every meal or snack. Much harder.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, May-16-21, 06:16

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I think that if I ever wrote a memoir about my addiction to carbs, I think I would call it

The Call of the Carbs!