Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

I have noticed the percent of over weight kids is very low. Im wondering why. Is there a real connection between grades/success and obesity...

I attribute this more to correlation and think socio-economic status is the more likely cause (poorer kids arw.more at risk for obesity and are less likely to be high achieving in school). I would like to see studies which account for this.

Your son's walking "club" sounds awesome btw!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:18

BF:

I wore mostly size 2s with some 0s and some 4s, before pregnancy. I couldn't agree more that bullying is an issue for thin people, too. Although, I do think it might be easier to brush off (as a woman at least) and tell myself someone is "just jealous" or it is because as a society we are getting used to seeing obesity as normal and therefore the problem isn't me, it is an unhealthy new "normal."

I do have a happy story though. I was recently getting really bullied on FB by a super know it all cousin of my husband. She is a weight watchers leader and can't leave her "expertise" at work. I was very polite and repeatedly tried to get her to stop criticizing my low weight . I thanked her for her concern, said baby's growth is right on track, told her about my extremely large medical team following this high risk pregnancy including a dietician i really like, etc, etc.... I explained the difficulty of a diabetic pregnancy, sticking to a diet that keeps blood sugar in check while gaining weight. I talked about the scariest risks of this pregnancy to both me and my baby if I don't control my blood sugar including life long complications to me like blindness and kidney failure. I talked about the baby developing heart conditions, growing too big to be delivered, and miscarriage....
she wouldn't stop and instead got worse.
And then.... All these friends on FB (some who aren't even people who normally are really friends, more people i run in same circles as, so we play nice but aren't really that interested in friendship)..... Well people sure don't like to see a pregnant woman bullied about her weight. They were ruthless to her.
HAha, I appreciated it. And sent them private messages to thank them since I couldn't publicly do so.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I ,ll tell him !!

He and his buddies at school are computer oriented which means sedintary all day. None do sports. Walking is a feat....
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
And then there's the singer who recently said that fat shaming helped him lose weight. Wouldn't work for me. At my fattest, if anyone said something negative, I'd end up later crying over my high-carb meal or dessert binge, not understanding why it drew me so much.

Yes, every rule has exceptions but by and large research shows bullying is not a successful motivator for weight loss (forget the psychological damage, it simply doesn't work long term).
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 11:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Awareness of bodyweight and that there can be health consequences is a good thing. This as a reason to fat-shame--making bodyweight a shameful thing sort of makes it harder to address. People assure each other that they're not overweight, whether they are or not--precisely because of the stigma. My glasses are fairly thick, people hardly ever protest that my vision seems fine to them. But if I tell somebody I'm schizoaffective bipolar--they'll assure me that I don't seem that crazy. I often see people who are bipolar or somewhere on the schizo-spectrum complain that people tell them similar things. Sort of like complimenting an old person on how young they look. If you want to compliment me by telling me I lack my various traits--no thanks that's really not much of a compliment, it's a list of things that I am that you think are bad in some way.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 07:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
At my fattest, if anyone said something negative, I'd end up later crying over my high-carb meal or dessert binge, not understanding why it drew me so much.

Me too. And I get impatient with people about exercise: I was a miserably overweight teen who rode MILES in summer heat every day without my size changing by so much as a pound. Because I couldn't stop bingeing from all the stress I was living with. It was drugs I could afford; bottom line.

All someone has to do is look at group pictures and street scenes from the 50s and 60s, before the "food guidelines," and marvel at the slim people who predominate. This was the era of a "diet plate" being a hamburger patty, full fat cottage cheese, and carrot sticks on a lettuce leaf. It worked.

Study after study shows that people over the decades, people DID listen. In the aggregate, they lowered their fat, exercised more, used margarine instead of butter, ate dry chicken breasts instead of marbled steaks.

And that's what made them fat.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 09:28

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
All someone has to do is look at group pictures and street scenes from the 50s and 60s, before the "food guidelines," and marvel at the slim people who predominate. This was the era of a "diet plate" being a hamburger patty, full fat cottage cheese, and carrot sticks on a lettuce leaf. It worked.

I remember the first time (probably about 45 years ago) I ordered the diet plate. I also remember thinking "this is good!" Pity I didn't stick to it. But the wonderful but carby hippy food seduced me.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-21, 19:59

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I think one of the reasons I've never been bullied is because I was not heavy as a child.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-21, 20:04

I was very thin (but not bony) as a child but had no stamina AT ALL. In 7th grade Phys. Ed, we did each type of sport for several weeks. When we did track and field, I never did gain any increase in lung capacity. After six weeks of daily running, I hurt just as bad, running anything 220 yds and over as I did the first day. Lungs burning, side stitches, the whole picture.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-21, 20:12

"Its so typical of someone who has never had a weight problem to think those that do are just weak and eat what they want...."

It reminds me of how careful you have to be, not to look down on parents of wild, misbehaving kids, as a parent of "good kids". Mine were easy and I try hard to avoid thinking that the kid's bad behavior is necessarily from bad parenting.