Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-20, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins NDR (2002)
Stats: 270.2/236/165 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 33%

Whilst Kristine has suggested a more protein-centric approach to trying to get the scale to move down, just to confuse the matter (sorry, lol) I'm going to suggest the 'fat fast' approach that Atkins included in his DANDR book as he talked about it being a tool that has proven incredibly useful to those who are especially carb-sensitive, metabolically obliterated or just finding it really difficult to get the regular low-carb regime to work. It's a lot harder to stick to because it's not necessarily the most appealing way to eat - weirdly enough, eating a lot of fat and little else isn't as easy as you'd think.

So yeah, if you have the book I think it's about two-thirds of the way through? (Not sure entirely, but it's definitely in there). Maybe check it out and see if it applies to your situation and then have a look on here to find others who have successfully used it as a way to kick their metabolism back into gear.

Lots of luck

Blue
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-20, 03:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

From the Atkins 2002 book:
Quote:
When to Do the Fat Fast
Let me make it clear that the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen. The reason why I ask such people to try the Fat Fast is to let them know that it is possible to lose weight.
I ask them to try the regimen for four or five days to see if they achieve what the Fat Fast is capable of doing-weight loss, curbed appetite, positive lipolysis testing strips and improved well-being. If these results occur, most people are willing to stick with it for a few days, even if the food selections are unfulfilling.

Candice is not metabolically resistant, rather has been below a healthy weight and she has not had a problem losing weight in the past.

The Tips and Stalls section here has all of these hacks. The question is has anyone lost weight and kept it off for good using them.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Sep-14-20 at 04:23.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-20, 04:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I would focus on protein and nutrients, since both of those are challenged from vegetarianism. Despite its stellar reputation as "healthy" I think someone must be suited to it for it to work. And that's NOT that many people.

One of the things I discovered about my eating issues was how I interpreted hunger in all the wrong ways. Now I eat things like protein and fat which actually satiate me, ideally for hours.

Like I can do a large meal that will last me for 24 hours, the One Meal a Day, but that was after I brought my body back from malnutrition with lots of meat

Also, if we are not used to digesting protein and fat, we might need a course of Betaine HCL to retrain our stomachs. Often people trying to come back to meat misinterpret the way their digestion reacts. They trained their stomachs to be a low acid environment, when it's actually healthier to have a high acid environment for digestion.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 07:31
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The Tips and Stalls section here has all of these hacks. The question is has anyone lost weight and kept it off for good using them.

I would assume the idea is to use something like the fat-fast as a way to "bump-start" ones metabolism during a slump, not adopt it as a permanent WOE?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVelvet
I would assume the idea is to use something like the fat-fast as a way to "bump-start" ones metabolism during a slump, not adopt it as a permanent WOE?
. Tell that to all the people who add butter and coconut oil to their coffee daily and then wonder why they are not losing weight. Since the rise of Internet, reduce carbs has become add fat.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 10:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
. Tell that to all the people who add butter and coconut oil to their coffee daily and then wonder why they are not losing weight. Since the rise of Internet, reduce carbs has become add fat.

Surely there has to be some middle-ground there though. Adding a good fat to a morning coffee, is one of the suggestions I've seen bandied around in various places, as a way to up one's fats if one isn't naturally inclined to wanting to include it in the rest of their food intake (I for one find it kinda gross and unnecessary to fry foods in oil, when they can be grilled. I hate fat on meat and find heavy cream very sickly). But I want to make sure I'm ingesting enough fat in my daily menus. Adding coconut oil to my (otherwise black) coffee and blitzing until it's frothy has been a nice, palatable way of getting more fat in my diet. I'd hate to think that I was consuming way too much fat because of that??

You've got me worried now. I wish there wasn't so much conflicting "information" out there, making it harder for us to do right, when we're doing all we can to try and ensure we're following the rules.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 12:04

Dr Westman, who did his initial clinical research with Dr Atkins' clinic and has had his own clinic at Duke for over a decade, has never changed the rules...add just enough fat for taste and satiety. You want to be burning fat from "your own on-board pantry".
His answer to How Much Fat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRHS8oUDXFc We don't track macros, so there is no such thing as "getting in enough fat" and adding liquid fats to anything is not part of the plan.

Two other people I now follow are Dr Ted Naiman and Marty Kendall, who reinforce the lower fat message even more, especially when weight loss has stopped short of your goal, even though blood sugar is very stable. One of Ted's famous memes is "If your body is already HF, then all you really need is the LC." Marty is all about nutrient density, and refined oils have few micronutrients and no protein.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Sep-15-20 at 12:32.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 13:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVelvet
Surely there has to be some middle-ground there though. Adding a good fat to a morning coffee, is one of the suggestions I've seen bandied around in various places, as a way to up one's fats if one isn't naturally inclined to wanting to include it in the rest of their food intake (I for one find it kinda gross and unnecessary to fry foods in oil, when they can be grilled. I hate fat on meat and find heavy cream very sickly). But I want to make sure I'm ingesting enough fat in my daily menus. Adding coconut oil to my (otherwise black) coffee and blitzing until it's frothy has been a nice, palatable way of getting more fat in my diet. I'd hate to think that I was consuming way too much fat because of that??

You've got me worried now. I wish there wasn't so much conflicting "information" out there, making it harder for us to do right, when we're doing all we can to try and ensure we're following the rules.

In the end, its what works for YOU.

If having a bit of fat in a morning coffee is in place of a full breakfast, thats a huge savings in fat calories.

Fat in coffee is not in DANDR; not that I remember and Ive it a number of times. But he advocates FatFasts, which is snack size meals of very high fat, for just a few days. But no mention of fat in coffee.

I dont need fat in coffee in am. Skipping a traditional breakfast is the easiest meal to skip.

Dr W's program is s stricter version of DANDR. Both very very similar. Westman designed a very strick aka very simple program after spending sime time with Dr Atkins and tweeked it to better help his patients in dire need.

The goal is to move fat off our bodies, and less in our foods. Satiety is key to success. That is the bslance point.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 16:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's confusing because past a certain point, there are no rules except the ones which work for us.

I have coconut oil and a bit of heavy cream in my morning coffee Usually, that's breakfast. It extends my fasting hours. It gives me clarity and energy, since coconut oil is MCT and doesn't need to be digested.

But it turned out I do best, like Dr. Georgia Ede, by eliminating all plant material except botanical fruits. There is no "Meat, Dairy, and Fruit" diet and yet that is what works for me.

So I had to invent it. I'm okay with that. But it can be daunting
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 16:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
So I had to invent it. I'm okay with that. But it can be daunting

Daunting or not, it sure has worked - you've done amazingly! I'm definitely going to check out your own journal/old posts to see how you managed to find the WOE that works so well for you. It's very impressive!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-20, 17:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Two other people I now follow are Dr Ted Naiman and Marty Kendall, who reinforce the lower fat message even more, especially when weight loss has stopped short of your goal, even though blood sugar is very stable. One of Ted's famous memes is "If your body is already HF, then all you really need is the LC." Marty is all about nutrient density, and refined oils have few micronutrients and no protein.

I've seen you mention them a couple of times now; I'll definitely go look them up and get their books. I'm still at the beginning of this new WOE now, so I don't want to over-complicate things just yet. But knowing that there will be tweaking needed further down the line, it'll be good to have some more information at the ready. Thanks for the heads-up!