Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:35
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I want to make this cheesecake tonight for my birthday (well its the 12th but celebrating on the 11th)
And I had a couple of questions.

First, my vanilla extract has sugar in it. I could not find sugar free extract, is it still safe, should I use french vanilla davinci syrup instead?

Also, would it be possible to alter the flavoring of the cake (not planning to this time but for future use perhaps) by using the syrups and cutting back on the splenda?

Also since I cannot get white or brown sugar twin here I will use 1c of splenda for the filling but was wondering if I should only use 2tsp of splenda for the crust or how to modify that?

Thanks,

MJ
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
First, my vanilla extract has sugar in it. I could not find sugar free extract, is it still safe, should I use french vanilla davinci syrup instead?
It's fine to use the extract. The amount is so minimal that it shouldn't make a difference.
Quote:
Also, would it be possible to alter the flavoring of the cake (not planning to this time but for future use perhaps) by using the syrups and cutting back on the splenda?
Yes, but depending on how much syrup you use, you would have to cut back on something else like the sour cream so as not to change the ratio of liquids to eggs.

I have to confess that I really don't like the flavour of DaVinci syrup. It tastes really fake to me. What I do instead is use a good quality extract to change the flavour.

Use 2 tsp. Splenda for the crust and it will be just fine.

Karen
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:28
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Well, I finally made it, and just put it in the oven. It seemed runnier than what my cheesecakes normally come out like. I made it in the food processor.

I tasted the batter and it was just unbelievable... so worst case I will have warm soup and eat it with a spoon.

The hardest part was shelling those brazil nuts. I cant wait to taste it, I will keep you posted.

MJ
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:49
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
The hardest part was shelling those brazil nuts.
Ack! You couldn't get shelled Brazil nuts? I feel bad that you had to go to all that work!

Karen
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:49
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
Ack! You couldn't get shelled Brazil nuts? I feel bad that you had to go to all that work!

Totally worth it!!! I just tasted the cake warm... I couldnt wait, I just had a tiny piece and its out of this world. I didnt expect it to be THIS good. I need to hide this from myself.

The crust wasnt sticking to my cake all that well but I guess thats because it was still warm. I also think I might add a touch more splenda to the crust but aside that its so rich and filling and perfect!
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Karen, I followed your directions on the recipes and the hints you gave above to the t. My only "change" was that I did not use a crust (I am allergic to nuts). The cake looked beautiful and the texture was perfect but it tasted salty. Any idea what went wrong? I often don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners but this definately was salty. Your advise is appreciated.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 02:23
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi WendyLynn,

Cream cheese is salty to some people. Without the buffer of sugar or other ingredients - chocolate, fruit, etc. - you get a big mouthful of almost pure cream cheese.

Did you use Philly brick or another type of cream cheese? I had a discussion a while ago with a member who found the brick-type salty.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sat, Dec-13-03 at 13:25.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 08:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks for the response Karen. I did use the Philly brick type of cream cheese. I will take a look at the discussion you linked and see if there is another solution As I said, everything else from looks to texture was wonderful I really want to try again. Thanks for your help (and your recipe).
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 09:49

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

For some reason, the link to the discussion doesn't work for me... Karen, can you post the actual URL, please?
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/186/160 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Karen
To make a crustless cheesecake,do I follow your directions just leaving out the crust directions or is there a recipe on here for the crustless cheesecake?
seb
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 12:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%

Karen, I am going to make this for a family reunion tomorrow. Can I properly label it "low-carb/diabetic?" Or is it only ok for a diabetic who low-carbs, if that makes sense?
I have never tried any lc recipes--I've only cooked plain meats, poultry, veggies, with butter or olive oil, so I am really excited about trying this.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 13:20
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I have never tried any lc recipes
Cool! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Quote:
Or is it only ok for a diabetic who low-carbs, if that makes sense?
Not really but anything low-carb is OK for diabetics to eat unless they firmly follow the ADA food guidlines. In any case, it won't raise their blood sugar level and is not dangerous.

Karen
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 13:27
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
To make a crustless cheesecake,do I follow your directions just leaving out the crust directions or is there a recipe on here for the crustless cheesecake?
Just make it without the crust.

Karen
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 16:18

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi everyone! I made Karen's cheesecake and I'm sure it will taste good. I used mostly almonds for the crust, with about 1/4 cup pecans. I also used 8 TBS of Splenda and 2 TBS of brown sugar twin (didn't have the white). Everthing else was per the recipe. But, help! How do I prevent the cracks next time?

Thanks for sharing this with us Karen!

Last edited by diemde : Sun, Dec-21-03 at 16:20.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 15:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Has anyone made a chocolate version of this wonderful cheesecake??

I haven't yet, but am planning to, and would appreciate any tips - i.e., what sort of chocolate you used (flavouring, syrup, , cocoa or melted chocolate etc) and the quantities.