Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 08:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Trying to remember the last time I ate 5 pounds of cauliflower at one meal. Oh yeah, never. Food and the way one reacts to food is so individualized. SPC may work for some, but not even close for me if I want to stay satiated with healthy foods. The other issue is that itís fine to label a foodís contents of nutrients, but the key is to label nutrient availability for humans. This is where the measurements fall apart. While there are readily available sources for food nutrient and micronutrient profiles, there are few studies showing actual absorption rates of nutrient quantities in humans. The largest conflation of nutrient availability is between plant and animal protein as an example. This applies to all food nutrients. We donít know what we canít measure.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 08:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/27%/25%
Progress: 134%

BW,
Marty Kendall's programs support some 30 diets, including Carnivore. Nutrient satiety is also considered as part of HAVA's satiety score. As long as you can meet your goals, it is all good.
If you drop plants and keep seafood and dairy, you can still get a fairly nutritious outcome. https://optimisingnutrition.com/car...ased-nutrients/

Rob, I was trying to find a calorie equal amount, 5 pounds was close .
Point taken on nutrient availability, but itís what we've got now.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-21-24 at 08:45.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 11:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks, Janet! I looked into Marty's carnivore writings. I do eat some dairy and some seafood. I'm also careful about added fat, as the high-fat percentages have never been doable for me.

I agree with GRB about nutrient availability.

Do you know what exactly the algorithm is based on? Can you really measure the satiety of a food for any given person? Isn't that somewhat subjective? Not trying to be argumentative, just asking.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 13:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/27%/25%
Progress: 134%

After five years of dedicated analysis of 838,686 days of data from free-living people, ON has unearthed satiety factors that drive your hunger, appetite, and fullness.

Cracking the Hunger Code: Our Satiety Algorithm
https://optimisingnutrition.com/satiety-hunger-code/

Quote:
Different Diets, Different Satiety Factors
Satiety is not a one-size-fits-all formula. People with different dietary preferences intuitively know that different foods help them feel satisfied with their preferred dietary approach.

We examined the data and found that different subsets of the population have unique cravings depending on the nutrients they lack. So, we divided the data into three subsets:

low protein (i.e. less than 12.5% protein)
low fat (with the majority of energy from carbs), and
low carb (with the majority of the energy from fat).

Our multivariate analysis enables us to calculate the precise weighting of each satiety factor for each population subset. Overall, we are satisfied with foods that provide more nutrients that we tend to lack on that diet. Filling in the nutrient gaps provides greater satiety.

There are many similarities among Diet Doctor, Ted Naiman's PE Diet and Marty's Optimising Nutrition's Satiety Scores. Marty's put more weight on Nutrients, which are important to me.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 14:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Rob, I was trying to find a calorie equal amount, 5 pounds was close .
Point taken on nutrient availability, but itís what we've got now.

Janet, understood and your math is solid. Just the thought of eating 5 pounds of cauliflower to get the caloric equivalent gave me pause . I still donít closely watch calories, but I realize we all take various approaches based on what works. You and many others are testimony to the ON program. It works tremendously well for you.