Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-20, 07:15
Running on Empty

Plan: Lo-carb/low cal
Stats: 313/295.4/150 Female 70 inches
BF:Hibernation
Progress: 11%
Default Not Newton’s Gravity—Relaxed-fit is the new saggy

Well now, after an 18 lb loss (with much more to go) and summer just around the corner, it’s time to think about taking care of my skin. Grabbing what seemed like a huge loose piece of sagging skin around my belly, I was told that the stuffing has been removed—nothing in there to plump up. Ugg!

Skin creams/lotion/oils are now first and foremost as well as possible supplements to snap back this newfound eyesore.

Surfing the internet I found firming lotions to hydrate and tighten skin:

1. Aveeno Positively Ageless Anti-Aging Firming Body Lotion
2. SkinMedica GlyPro Daily Firming Cream
3. Nivea Skin Firming and Toning Gel Cream with Q10 Plus

I’m interested to hear what your experience and thoughts are on the creams/lotions, or oils you find helpful.

And then there’s pills. Not only does my food intake or lack thereof play a significant role in skin health, so may taking supplements. I keep reading that supplements may have benefits for loose skin, including anti-aging and antisagging effects.

I’ve been reading up on Collagen hydrolysate. Many people think that collagen supplements reduce the effects of skin aging by boosting collagen levels. Have any of you had any success with this?

This may be beneficial —> Collagen peptides in the form of an oral supplement may improve:

1. the skin’s moisture barrier by increasing hyaluronic acid levels
2. collagen production, leading to stronger collagen networks
3. the growth of skin fibroblasts — cells that help make connective compounds
wound healing

A study that featured in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology found that individuals who took 10 g of oral collagen peptides in a drink at bedtime experienced improved skin collagen levels and overall structure after 4 weeks. Furthermore, they experienced better skin hydration levels after 8 weeks.

Here’s the link to the article:
Collagen by Pill

I look forward to your experiences and comments.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-20, 08:17

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Not only do none of these products work on a fatty apron descendng from your belly button, they cost.

Plastic surgery will help if you don't mind having your nerve endings moving around to unfamiliar places.

Of course, you could try the old fashioned corset.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-20, 14:56

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Vitamin T - lots and lots of it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-20, 19:09
Running on Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Vitamin T - lots and lots of it.

Hi Thud 123,

I’m not sure I know what fit T is exactly. Is it tryptophan fortified collagen peptides?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-20, 20:53

BF:

vitamin T = time

you'll have to wait and see what happens. Nothing you rub on, swallow, jiggle, brush, wrap, slap, freeze, heat seems to make any difference. So much money is made selling false hope and negligible results.

Wait a year after you reach your goal weight and see if surgery is for you. Grav here did it and is happy with the result. Quite a bit of down time but worth it for him.

I live with what I have and what I have seems to keep improving over time, or I'm just accepting that I will never be what I was.

None of us can or ever will be what we were. We are what we are now. Thin, thick, tall, short, alive or dead.

BUT, don't be discouraged by me, these are, after all, my opinions on the matter. Perhaps you'll find something that works for you but it will be hard to do a double blind study as time will keep passing and you'll keep changing anyway
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 06:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I lost 40 pounds in six months. I take a daily collagen drink, D3, K2 and progesterone routinely, but that's for health.

While there were, and are, saggy patches, they are getting better. Dry brushing has been spoken of with approval here: that would be the one I'd try first.

https://absafterbabies.com/tips/dry...n-does-it-work/

Also, many carnivore forums maintain that loose skin is a sign there is still fat there to be lost. I don't know if this is why my situation has improved or it's just a long adjustment period.

Mark's Daily Apple is the first place I look for info. He's very balanced and fair in his approach:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/how...or-weight-loss/
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 12:32

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
you'll have to wait and see what happens. Nothing you rub on, swallow, jiggle, brush, wrap, slap, freeze, heat seems to make any difference. So much money is made selling false hope and negligible results.

Wait a year after you reach your goal weight and see if surgery is for you. Grav here did it and is happy with the result. Quite a bit of down time but worth it for him.

I live with what I have and what I have seems to keep improving over time, or I'm just accepting that I will never be what I was.

As Thud said, I had my tummy tucked in July 2018. If you're interested in all the details of the experience, I wrote about it on and off in my journal from March to about September of that year.

Of course I was much happier with the skin apron than I was with all the weight, and if circumstances weren't able to align, then sure I would have learned to live with it. But for me they did, so I eventually took the plunge and had it done anyway. No regrets for me personally, but obviously these sorts of things are best left to each individual to decide for themselves.

As for non-surgery options, I've read several anecdotes on places like the Diet Doctor Facebook group for example, where some people who do fasting can see better results with natural skin retraction, as autophagy can kick in to the point where the excess skin itself is consumed by the body. Fasting was something I could never do personally as I'd always had issues with appetite, but if you can pull it off, that might be another option to look into?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 15:32

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think age makes a difference, too. When I was in my 20's I gained & lost a lot of weight twice & my skin eventually fit again. But now I'm in my 60's - I don't think that saggy skin is ever going to shrink. But I'm no longer wearing bathing suits or skin-exposing clothes, so it doesn't matter too much.

But there are times I'd like to have less sag - where do I find a good modern corset?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 16:34

BF:

I also read a bit on how LONG one has been oversized can have an effect on outcome - I was stretched out for about 10 years - I have moderate loose skin, especially belly fold - but either getting better or staying the same. I have much more weight to lose so I expect it too change as I go.

Going back to tight skin filled with fat and fluid is not an in my plan but you never know. I'll take what I have for now and am grateful I can move around and do some stuff.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-20, 07:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
As for non-surgery options, I've read several anecdotes on places like the Diet Doctor Facebook group for example, where some people who do fasting can see better results with natural skin retraction, as autophagy can kick in to the point where the excess skin itself is consumed by the body. Fasting was something I could never do personally as I'd always had issues with appetite, but if you can pull it off, that might be another option to look into?

That makes sense to me too. And it's such an individual thing, with build and genetics and all kinds of variables in the mix.

I got a bathing suit for the first time in decades last summer It's a one-piece with a skirt, but I don't care if I look like an underwear model. There's plenty of people on the beach I look better than
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-20, 11:06
Running on Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I think age makes a difference, too.

I have to agree with you on this one. Hopefully, I didn’t wait too long to lose the fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There's plenty of people on the beach I look better than

You’re comment put a smile on my face. I love ♥️ Your perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud123
vitamin T = time

Time—a concept that seems to keep rearing it’s ugly head.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-20, 21:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr Fung specifically addresses this issue. And it's a non issue due to fasting.

Perhaps investigate that as well as Fast Mimicing diet.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-20, 06:31
Running on Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Dr Fung specifically addresses this issue. And it's a non issue due to fasting.

Perhaps investigate that as well as Fast Mimicing diet.

Thank you for this info. I’m gonna read this:
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-20, 14:36

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

If about two thousand pop-up ads on my computer screen have anything to contribute, then some form of lightweight elastic undergarment is the cheap and easy answer.🙄
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 07:19

BF:

Also, I've noticed that "women's pants" have moved into the higher priced dressy category, and what has taken their place are those "fancy leggings." This ranges from tights with pockets painted on (WTF!) to "pants" made from spandex fabric with decorative elements, like what I call the Altoid Pocket.