Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 23:44
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I don't think that's what most people mean and it's certainly not what I mean when I say, "Read the book". Every published low carb plan that I know of has a corresponding book that goes with it; Protein Power, The Schwarzbein Principle, The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, Atkins, South Beach. Take your pick, but they all have a book to read.
Obviously if you choose to 'do your own thing' there is no book for that, but in that case I'd say it's even more important to have read up on the subject so that you understand the principles behind low carbing even if you don't follow any one plan exclusively.

As my video editing professor in college once told me..."You need to know the rules before you can break them."

Basically what he meant was, in art and also in our way of eating, it's ok to be creative or change things. However, know what the priciples or techniques are and why they exist before going off the beaten track.

Otherwise you're just fooling yourself into thinking you're an artist...or successfully following your choic of weight loss plan.

And NO YOU CAN'T HAVE MILK ON INDUCTION!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 23:52
Italian Princess

BF:

And on another note. Why are so many people adverse to reading the original author's words?? I mean wouldn't one WANT to read what Dr. Atkins or whoever has to say in their own words? I follow Atkins and personally, I think the man is worth the time to read because he talks a lot about the why's of Atkins as well as the plan itself. I just don't understand why people don't want to educate themselves.

I don't want to listen to other people's opinions on the subject of an already and completely established plan found in the book. I come here for moral support, learn about new products, recipies, see other peoples successes, etc. I don't come here to learn how to do my chosen eating plan.

I don't buy that "the book is too expensive." It's on sale all over the place and library cards are free.
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 06:12
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Hey Alliene, can I have milk on induction?

Seriously though, I think you hit the nail on the head. Know the original plan first before you start tweaking. Otherwise, it becomes like the telephone game where you start following someone's tweaks, then someone follows your tweaks on someone else's tweaks and so on.

How is a newbie supposed to distinguish from all the tweaks? Best to start off fresh with the original plan.
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 07:30
Italian Princess

BF:

No You Cannot Have Carrots On Induction