Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1741   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 05:53
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I stopped taking calcium supplements several years ago and have been taking standalone D3 (5000) for at least 2 years. My DEXA scan shows 7.6% increase in bone density.

Those who know me have read in my J that I recently switched PCPs. Number one gave me extensive blood tests. I was surprised that he wanted me to take D3. My blood level showed 39 and he wanted it at 50. September 14th I started taking daily Max Strength, 2in1 D3 and K2 with 10,000 iu Vit D and 1,500 mcg Vit K.

New doctor says D3 is high enough and not to take the high level I'm taking. As for calcium, she said she can order the test for me. It will cost me $$ out of pocket, but at my age if I don't have plaque buildup in my arteries, I won't get it.

Really hard to know who to trust. Which doctor do I listen to? Or do I just listen to my body? It doesn't have much to say.
Sponsored Links
  #1742   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 06:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Glenda, IMHO how our body feels is only half the picture. I'm no expert but have a vested interest.

I don't take extra calcium as my foods have plenty, and I eat plenty of food. Mostly whole foods.

D3 . 10,000 during winter and vivid, 5000 summers and 200 k2. Much lower than the dose you listed. Which doses is better?

Increasing bone density is obvious huge. That is great news. One of my concerns about bone density is how it was created. Apparently the down side of a drug like fozamax, think that is the right name, is while it lasts in calcium the matrix is fragile aka brittle .

Also, calcium is one of several minerals that make up bone.

I'm much younger and pcp has not mentioned any baseline tests. Would like to have bone density and coronary cac test. In the CAC thread the test price seems to be not very high , 150~300 . Here an MRI is 500-600$. So the CAC price seems reasonable. Can't see how blood test for Ca is relavent.

Imo. Baseline and monitoring .

Curious to see response others thoughts.
  #1743   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 08:02
Doing My Best

The change in my bone density between 2013 DEXA and 2020 DEXA was not brought about by drugs. IMO it happened because of my strict walking regime and our WOE.

Doctor referred to CAC test. My bad to refer to it as blood test.
  #1744   ^
Old Wed, Sep-30-20, 08:41
Doing My Best

When drawing blood for my ketone test, I noticed it is markedly thinner. I've been taking low dose aspirin, but now that I'm taking the high-dose D3/K2 capsule, I'm going to drop the aspirin.

No adverse effects from that dosage as yet. Does anybody use a vit D home test? I saw this one:https://www.everlywell.com/products/vitamin-d-test/
  #1745   ^
Old Wed, Sep-30-20, 15:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Taking K2 with D3 avoids calcium problems. It's the traffic officer who puts stuff where it should be.
Yup, I always take my K2 along with my D3.
  #1746   ^
Old Wed, Sep-30-20, 15:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Increasing bone density is obvious huge. That is great news. One of my concerns about bone density is how it was created. Apparently the down side of a drug like fozamax, think that is the right name, is while it lasts in calcium the matrix is fragile aka brittle .
My gynecologist gave me a prescription for fosomax when I had a minor low bone density test but naturally I didn't fill it without doing research, and research indicated it was a horrible drug to take! So I asked my PCP about it and she instantly said: "No! Don't take it! Too many awful side effects and virtually no benefit" Just exactly what the research seemed to indicate.
  #1747   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 05:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Therefore, serum 25(OH)D levels between 100 and 150 nmol/L are ideal, levels below 50 nmol/L are associated with severe vitamin D deficiency...

Optimal Vitamin D Supplementation Levels for Cardiovascular Disease Protection

DH got a vitamin D test and was over 100, so he's backing off. But I didn't get one, as it was "too expensive" for my insurance! A problem which solved itself, since I have now no job and no insurance
  #1748   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 13:10

BF:

Assuming you don't live in one of the states where it's illegal for patients to take charge of their own health it's possible to pay out of pocket to get the test for not too high a cost. I just did it last month. And even if you live in one of the states where it's illegal (I know that includes NJ, NY, RI and maybe one or two others) you might still be able to go it with a finger prick test from a place like everlywell.com
  #1749   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 06:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Assuming you don't live in one of the states where it's illegal for patients to take charge of their own health it's possible to pay out of pocket to get the test for not too high a cost. I just did it last month. And even if you live in one of the states where it's illegal (I know that includes NJ, NY, RI and maybe one or two others) you might still be able to go it with a finger prick test from a place like everlywell.com

Thanks Debbie, but I'm cool. The toxic level is 375.
  #1750   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 08:47

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I don't really have any great interesting in vitamin d for myself as I'm outside on the water from April thru Oct (might be over exposed) but do supplement, without any sound reasoning... just because. I think it's inexpensive insurance. This is a recent Ivor Cummins video I ran across and thought of this thread to post to. Related to viral interactions. Lot's of associative speculations but worth considering

"Ep73 Vitamin D Status and Viral Interactions…The Science"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXw3XqwSZFo

I'm more interested in his take on the data surrounding the efficacy of lockdowns surrounding the current virus out there. Interesting stuff to consider.
  #1751   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 15:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

What sort of k2 is recommended? Like MK7? Or something else?
  #1752   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 16:26
Doing My Best

When I had my blood work done in July 2020, my Vit D level was 39 and my doctor at that time wanted it to be much higher. He said for me to take a 4,000 IU supplement. What he didn't know is that I had already been taking daily D3, 5,000 IUs for at least a year.

I deduced that something was keeping me from absorbing what I was taking so on September 14th I started taking (daily) Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium 100 mg and (Super Dosing brand) combination D3/K2 |10,000 iu Vit D (250 mcg) and 1,500 mcg Vit K. I have no way of knowing if I'm doing the right thing, but I'm having no symptoms of toxicity. Yet.

My NEW doctor says I don't need to take D3 at all. Research says home tests are unreliable and most resources tell us not to worry about Vit D at all. IDK.
  #1753   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 18:29
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
When I had my blood work done in July 2020, my Vit D level was 39 and my doctor at that time wanted it to be much higher. He said for me to take a 4,000 IU supplement. What he didn't know is that I had already been taking daily D3, 5,000 IUs for at least a year.

I deduced that something was keeping me from absorbing what I was taking so on September 14th I started taking (daily) Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium 100 mg and (Super Dosing brand) combination D3/K2 |10,000 iu Vit D (250 mcg) and 1,500 mcg Vit K. I have no way of knowing if I'm doing the right thing, but I'm having no symptoms of toxicity. Yet.

My NEW doctor says I don't need to take D3 at all. Research says home tests are unreliable and most resources tell us not to worry about Vit D at all. IDK.
Ignore the doctor that's telling you you don't need vitamin D. Keep taking 10,000 IU/Day. You have/had? vitamin D deficiency at 39. The safe upper level of vitamin D3 is 20,000 IU/day. They tested people with a dose of 40,000 IU/day for 5 years with no toxicity, hypercalcemia or tissue issues.

I don't know where you got the idea that home tests are unreliable. We are talking about direct to lab tests? They are highly reliable. When vitamin D tests came on the scene one of the major labs was administering the wrong vitamin D test but that problem was corrected years ago.
  #1754   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-20, 10:48

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Apparently the down side of a drug like fosamax, think that is the right name, is while it lasts in calcium the matrix is fragile aka brittle .

Also, calcium is one of several ions needed to make bones.
Exactly. You need calcium, magnesium, potassium & phosphorous to make bone. If you only take fosamax/calcium and it has little or nothing to bind with, it won't be used to make bone. The excess will be excreted (if you are lucky & like to waste money), but I'd be more worried that it hangs around in arteries (causing heart problems) and milk ducts (calcium deposits associated with DCIS).
  #1755   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-20, 06:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Fell upon this gem. While this is a rat study, perhaps decreasing the level of Autism is as simple as supplementing with Vitamin D3 as recent studies of Covid19 have shown how deficient we humans are in Vit D.

Quote:
Summary:~Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy may explain why males are three times more likely to be diagnosed with ASD than girls. The study reports prenatal vitamin d deficiency increases testosterone in the developing male brain.

https://neurosciencenews.com/vitami...tism-17415/amp/

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Dec-14-20 at 17:18.