Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 12:41

Plan: LowCarb/Carnivo/Intermit
Stats: 365/279.8/190 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Feel down

Want to eat sweets. Low carb sweets are fine but feel guilty. Tired or blood sugar levels and stuck at 311-315.

Feel depressed at times. Feel tired. Sticking to plan but feeling lousey.

Thanks for your comments but I am just so tired and feel no snacks or eating out anymore... just tired or being tired.

Talk more later.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 13:15

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hang in there. You KNOW that if you stick to plan that you ARE losing fat. The scales may not be showing it and it may take a few weeks for them to show it, but you KNOW it IS happening.

It's frustrating. I know. I've been there MANY times and on too many occasions I HAVE given up. Which is why it's taken me nearly twenty years to get where I am -- and even here I'm looking at at least another six months before I get back to where I've been twice before.

So we HAVE to find a way (a way that works for US as individuals) to fight through it.

I can't say yet that I have found mine, but I did have a bit of a mental revelation the other day. I've long thought that I would be able to stay on track if I could just lose a very consistent, even if slow, loss week after week. But then I asked myself if I would prefer a faster loss rate to that slow, consistent loss rate even if the faster loss rate were real erratic and involved weeks-long plateaus and even times where I was actually heavier than I was a month earlier and I realized that, given the two, I would prefer the faster loss rate despite the frustrations it would entail. So I've decided to try really hard to ride them out and recognize and accept them for what they are -- frustrating, short-term noise on an overall long-term success journey.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 15:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

300! you don't want anything to do with ketones at this level I think (ketoacidosis ) go to walmart and get some pee strips and make sure you not peeing ketones. Perhaps contact a doctor if you are. Rooting for you!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...es/syc-20371551

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnd
Want to eat sweets. Low carb sweets are fine but feel guilty. Tired or blood sugar levels and stuck at 311-315.

Feel depressed at times. Feel tired. Sticking to plan but feeling lousey.

Thanks for your comments but I am just so tired and feel no snacks or eating out anymore... just tired or being tired.

Talk more later.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 18:28

BF:
Default Ketosis vs Ketoacidosis

Ketosis vs Ketoacidosis

Ketosis is okay... Ketoacidosis is not okay.

I feeling so BLAH.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 21:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I'm learning that when our cells become insulin resistant, the glucose cannot enter the cells. Which results in two events. One we are tired, and hungry. And blood sugar is elevated.

Sticking to low carb is the fix. Along with a few steps to support better blood sugars.

Check out the links in my j for greater details. Hang in there, don't quit. I just figured out my status is IR ,too. We can fix this.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 21:40

BF:

If your sugars are at 300 mg/dl then, yes, if you are dumping ketones that would be a nearly sure sign of diabetic ketoacidosis and reason to get treatment immediately, even ER-type immediately. Fortunately, this is unlikely and it is not something that would be caused by LC eating. Eating LC and having sugars that high will just result in you not being able to start burning ketones until your sugars come down.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-21, 12:38

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I think he meant his weight is stuck at 300 not his blood sugar levels.

My opinion, try IF with a higher carb treat once a day. Not a whole bag of potato chips, but have a small sweet potato or something, see if it elevates your mood without making you ravenous.

Just my two cents.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-21, 13:01

BF:

Ah, I think you are right.

Don't let getting stuck in a weight band get to you. I know that's hard -- real hard. Your body doesn't like big changes and will fight to keep the status quo. But at long as you stay on plan (or tweak it reasonably) then you can be confident that your body is just trading water for fat. At some point your body surrenders and the water will come whooshing out over a short period of time. It's a battle of wills between your mind and your body. Don't let your body win.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-21, 17:57

BF:

Yeah my weight is what is stuck. I think it was i was eating sliced cheese on my hamburger patties.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-21, 18:19

BF:

A lot of people seem to find that cheese (dairy in general) gives them problems when trying to lose weight. Don't know if that's actually the case, or just a correlation that people get focused on. But it certainly can't hurt to eliminate it for a few weeks and see what happens. If your weight starts dropping, then you know that the cheese MIGHT have been the cause, or it could just be coincidence. You can then decide if you want to try adding it back in, or just play safe and leave it out, at least until you are down a lot more.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-21, 18:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

American cheese is the typical burger topper. Sadly, it's not real cheese. To confuse the cheese issue further, European cheese are cleaner than our American cheeses.

Have u tried: taking 5000 units Vitamin D3, standing out in the sunshine, and going for a 15 minute walk??One is sure to boost your spirits.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-21, 21:44

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Wow! I've never heard that ketones are bad for people at any particular weight. What is the biology of that?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-21, 06:29

BF:

Ketones are not bas for you. Keto acidosis is but you would find it hard to get there unless you were diabetic type 1 or on insulin. Nothing I need to worry about.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-21, 09:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Wow! I've never heard that ketones are bad for people at any particular weight. What is the biology of that?

That due to people not being informed and jumping to conclusions. There is a condition known as diabetic ketoacidosis in which the blood pH becomes too acidic. But this is NOT due just to the presence of ketones. When your blood has plenty of glucose in it to meet your energy needs but you don't have enough insulin to get that glucose into the cells where it is needed then your body tries to dump the sugars in the urine, which also dumps key electrolytes such as sodium and potassium and also leads to severe dehydration. The body then turns to its other fuel source and starts turning fat into ketone bodies, which are acidic. The body has buffering mechanisms to keep the blood pH within limits, but these are quickly overwhelmed by the other things that are going on and the blood pH falls to dangerous levels. But this process basically requires two things at the same time -- very high blood sugar levels and very high blood ketone levels. If you only have one or the other, there's little danger.

Nutritional ketosis is the lowering of blood sugar levels through dietary choices (very little carbs, for the most part) so that, once again, the body turns to fat and ketone bodies as its fuel source. But in the absence of high blood glucose and the other things that go along with it, the body is more than capable of buffering the blood pH adequately.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-21, 09:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnd
Ketones are not bas for you. Keto acidosis is but you would find it hard to get there unless you were diabetic type 1 or on insulin. Nothing I need to worry about.

Quick clarification. It is hard to get into DKA unless you are type 1 or if you SHOULD be on insulin (for your current lifestyle, anyway). The primary treatment for DKA is the administration of insulin and fluids (usually with electrolytes). In fact, before the availability of insulin, DKA was almost always fatal. Sometimes DKA is actually the first sign that someone is diabetic, so they aren't on insulin when it happens.