Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-20, 05:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Nutritional Anxiety Help

Like a lot of us, my moods have never been better than when I'm low carbing. And that's never been more needed than right now.

Now, doing very low carb and using supplements, my longstanding anxiety issues are about as good as they can be. Under the -- you know -- circumstances. So I wanted to share what helps me. Since medication never did.

First and foremost, my niacin regimen, based on the work of Dr. Abram Hoffer, of Canada. He got many Canadian POWs, who survived Japanese camps during WWII, back into their lives.

His theory was that this vitamin, which is really an amino acid, is particularly good at helping the brain work again after extreme levels of stress. I did a thread if you are interested.

I'm doing Niacin Therapy

My doctor also gave me Xanax for panic attacks. Well, it kind of works: by making my feelings go dead. For a little while. And there's all kinds of warnings about it, which only increased my anxiety!

So I dropped that and came up with a L-theanine/GABA combo which works so much better. It relieves the anxiety and then I am my usual self. This is also cheap and non-dangerous, especially by comparison.

For me, starting the day with a hot beverage with coconut oil melted in it has turned out to be another good mood strategy. Anxiety, at least in my case, is a feedback from "brain upset." I know that despite being a devoted low carber, I was still eating things that were creating inflammation in my body, and brain. Coconut oil is a Medium Chain Triglyceride, which is especially soothing to the brain as an easy source of energy, and has all the good fats it needs for repair.

I've been supporting my immune system with D3/K2, which helps relieve my worry about fighting anything off without complications. Last year's strict keto elimination diet has put me in the best shape of my adult life for both weight loss and inflammation.

All of this helps me cope with the uncertainty which surrounds us. My own strategies were created for my unique challenges, so they might not work for you. But I can say for certain: something out there will.

For more help, this website has been invaluable in helping me understand the connections between our health and moods:

The Mood Cure

Since she's so good at connecting the emotions with the neurotransmitters involved.

Under stress, my body needs more of these vital brain chemicals. By eating plenty of good protein sources I supply the raw materials my brain needs. By eliminating common plant toxins like lectins, oxalates, and even fiber, I support my "second brain," the immune system, in my digestive organs.

Like so many of us, I'm facing an uncertain future. Yet, I can't believe how cheerful I'm being during it! It has to be the healthy body/healthy brain combo I have going for me now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-20, 10:33

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Good information!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-20, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 250/215/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'll have a cup of coffee with a spoonful of coconut oil (MCT) and about a spoon of cocoa powder in the morning. Then I'll lift weights. In about an hour I'll lift 150 to 200x my bodyweight in the basic compound lifts. Bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press, some sort of row. I have no anxiety after a workout like that.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-20, 03:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in KS
I'll have a cup of coffee with a spoonful of coconut oil (MCT) and about a spoon of cocoa powder in the morning. Then I'll lift weights. In about an hour I'll lift 150 to 200x my bodyweight in the basic compound lifts. Bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press, some sort of row. I have no anxiety after a workout like that.

You have it running away screaming! Excellent idea
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 15:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
You have it running away screaming! Excellent idea

I like that mental picture.

No way this elderly lady could keep up with Paul, but exercise really does help. I've gotten back into my pt exercises for my knees as well as walking a mile each day. Yesterday I went 2 miles, but I don't think I'm ready for that as a daily thing! But I do feel better - less anxiety & more peace. Sleeping better, too.

We had fallen into the bad habit of watching a movie - sometimes 2 - every day. I'm backing off of that & doing more productive things. The only good thing about that is we're getting rid of our old VHS stash. Once all the movies are watched & given away, the tv will be given away. Bing, Bob, & Dottie are still funny in the Road movies.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 22:58

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I like that mental picture.

No way this elderly lady could keep up with Paul, but exercise really does help. I've gotten back into my pt exercises for my knees as well as walking a mile each day. Yesterday I went 2 miles, but I don't think I'm ready for that as a daily thing! But I do feel better - less anxiety & more peace. Sleeping better, too.

We had fallen into the bad habit of watching a movie - sometimes 2 - every day. I'm backing off of that & doing more productive things. The only good thing about that is we're getting rid of our old VHS stash. Once all the movies are watched & given away, the tv will be given away. Bing, Bob, & Dottie are still funny in the Road movies.

OMG, watching a movie WOULD be heightened productivity for me! Take it easy on yourself. I would love to get rid of the TV.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 06:24

BF:

My first week of quarantine was work at home, but then I got furloughed. Since then, I thought I would be a blizzard of productivity. I was wrong.

By removing the constant demands to be alert and have enough energy to drive and do my work, it's like an engine has been shut off. I don't even want to watch movies half the time: I have several hours a day when I work on my blog and second book, but after that, I can only read and listen to music.

If it's a healing thing, I'll take it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 07:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My first week of quarantine was work at home, but then I got furloughed. Since then, I thought I would be a blizzard of productivity. I was wrong.

By removing the constant demands to be alert and have enough energy to drive and do my work, it's like an engine has been shut off. I don't even want to watch movies half the time: I have several hours a day when I work on my blog and second book, but after that, I can only read and listen to music.

If it's a healing thing, I'll take it.

My husband & I thought the same, that we'd be getting a lot done. Hasn't happened. We're getting some things done, but nowhere near expectations. Since he's a part-time teacher, there's probably no school til next year. My job will hopefully be back at the end of the month.

This is helping me be grateful for having a job - part-time tho it may be. It really does help organize my time & energy. Too often we're now asking each other - what day is today?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 07:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Try creating a to do list....its motivating.

I'll also toss Magnesium into the ring as a calming agent. As a pill, or a bath (epsoms salts).

Im finding my usual shows too violent and unappealing. Like the pace of Scooby-do....but really prefer Murder She Wrote and similar. ....where the characters are , well, more caring.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 07:33

BF:

Quote:
Too often we're now asking each other - what day is today?

My kids ask this, too!!
They now have tons of school work and must have it completed by a specified date now, so they are back to tracking dates.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 07:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im finding my usual shows too violent and unappealing. Like the pace of Scooby-do....but really prefer Murder She Wrote and similar. ....where the characters are , well, more caring.

We don't watch regular tv - no reception out here - but I've had to balance out the very serious movies with the more light-hearted ones. This week, it being Easter, we watched The Mission & Romero - but several days apart. I couldn't have handled them emotionally too close together. We have Sayonara on the list, but I have to plan for it - it always makes me cry. But it's a lovely movie.

I wish I could plan my eating as well as my movie watching. I'm getting a bit off plan. But on the whole, I'm doing OK - not too many carbs, but too much snacking, which I normally don't do.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 12:09

BF:

Yes, the stress right now is real, and it shows in our eating. Snacking is a normal reaction.

I feel a continual "pressure"...... and when I realize it, do relaxation breathing to destress.... for a little while.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 16:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Try creating a to do list....its motivating.

I'll also toss Magnesium into the ring as a calming agent. As a pill, or a bath (epsoms salts).

Magnesium is really being wonderful to me.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-20, 04:35

BF:

Quote:
Yes, the stress right now is real, and it shows in our eating. Snacking is a normal reaction.

True! I handle it with probiotic teas. Great for digestion, and when sipped slowly, low sugar. The trace of naturally occurring alcohol has a relaxing effect, since I am at very low tolerance there, and it has become my "cheap wine." There's a whole variety of different brands and flavors, here's a favorite company:

https://www.kevita.com/
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-20, 06:14

BF:

Probiotic teas ????? Where have I been !!

Sipping green tea and Earl Grey now. My latest go to.