Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 17:03

Plan: Keto
Stats: 999/999/999 Male 99'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Coconut flour vs. Almond flour/meal

So it turns out coconut flour is many times cheaper than almond meal/flour. What I am wondering, however, is about the difference in taste and cooking.

I suppose I can sit through some coconut flour if I don't like the taste because most reviews I have read says it has been a subtle taste. So my main concern is cooking with it versus cooking with almond meal/flour, because on many reviews I've read I have seen comments that coconut flour "soaks up a lot of liquid" - but I don't know if this is in comparison to almond meal/flour, or regular flour.

For example: If I was making some pancakes which required 1 cup almond meal/flour, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup water, and 2 tbsp oil (those are the liquid ingredients).. what would the conversion for coconut flour be - 2x as much of the liquid ingredient, 3x as much, 4.. ?

If anybody has any other comments on coconut flour vs. almond flour/meal, you're completely welcome to chime in. I heard coconut flour is also much, much, much more finer and regular flour-like where almond meal/flour is more grainy, but that was from only 1 source so I am unsure.

-----

If this is in the wrong section.. or there is some other topic discussing this (likely), I apologize and ask that you please direct me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 20:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Coconut flour works great but takes some experimentation to get things right. Basically just add water until you get your batter to the right consistency. That's about all I can say. I'm more afraid of having a batter be too dry versus too wet, you can always cook things longer and dry them out.
Quote:
If anybody has any other comments on coconut flour vs. almond flour/meal, you're completely welcome to chime in. I heard coconut flour is also much, much, much more finer and regular flour-like where almond meal/flour is more grainy, but that was from only 1 source so I am unsure.
Yup, that's exactly right. It has a very fine consistency compared to almond meal.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 22:27

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Coconut flour works great but takes some experimentation to get things right. Basically just add water until you get your batter to the right consistency. That's about all I can say. I'm more afraid of having a batter be too dry versus too wet, you can always cook things longer and dry them out.
Yup, that's exactly right. It has a very fine consistency compared to almond meal.

Thank you very much!

I am an absolute beginner when it comes to cooking and baking, so have no idea how the consistency of batter should be to make things not dry, etc, but I guess that is something I will just have to learn through relentless experimentation. I am sure this site has all kinds of recipes that will help me perfect food as well.

Guess I will be taking the plunge and ordering some soon. If anyone else has any additional helpful comments, feel free.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 07:06

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I'm experimenting with coconut flour these days. Because I was unsure of the results, I've been halving the recipes in case they turn out bad. So far, I have a 50% success rate (I've made 2 recipes and 1 was successful).

I made raspberry muffins last night and the recipe called for up to 5T of water to add moisture. I used 2T water and 2T cream. They came out pretty good. Next time I will use all cream.

The day before I made cheese biscuits. They didn't work so well. I halved the recipe but I don't think that affected the outcome. They were very eggy. As a result, next time I want to decrease the number of eggs and increase the cream.

I've heard that adding coconut milk works to increase the moisture. I think adding coconut milk would increase the coconut flavor but I haven't tried this yet.

Regarding the coconut flavor of the flour, I didn't taste any such flavoring in my muffins or biscuits.

Here are some websites with coconut flour recipes (FYI: 2 of the websites use honey or regular sugar so you'll have to substitute the sugar):

http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm

http://www.simplycoconut.com/Coco%20Flour%20Recipes.pdf

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/l...e-biscuits.html
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 09:45
Experimenter

BF:

I think it's pretty important to have a source of fat in the coconut flour too. Oil, butter, coconut milk all work. I've made "bowl muffins" from coconut flour that kind of suck all the moisture out of your mouth and I think if I'd used more fat in them they wouldn't have done that.

Consistency-wise, pancakes need to be wet enough that they spread out when you spoon the batter into a pan. Muffins are a little drier than that, but really they don't have to be. You just cook them until they stop being wet in the center (stick a skewer in to see if any batter sticks to the skewer, if so it isn't done).

I'd let coconut flour set for awhile (few minutes) when you think you've got enough liquid in it, give it a chance to soak up more. Add more liquid if needed.

And remember, things don't stop cooking when you yank them off the heat. They continue to cook for a bit. So slightly under-done is usually better.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 10:47
Experimenter

BF:

I got inspired by this thread and made coconut flour pancakes. They were really nice. Very light and they sure turned a lovely golden brown.

Next time though I think I'll sift the flour and baking powder.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 14:01

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I got inspired by this thread and made coconut flour pancakes. They were really nice. Very light and they sure turned a lovely golden brown.

Next time though I think I'll sift the flour and baking powder.

Nancy, what recipe did you use?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 19:05
Experimenter

BF:

Recipe?

I just mix together egg, flour, baking soda, water a little oil and this time I added some whey protein.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 02:25

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the comments and links, gypsy! I haven't even dreamed about looking up recipes yet, I was just going to attempt to recreate the few very basic things I made with almond meal - but ideas are always nice! I haven't been too successful with my cooking/baking myself, my most laughable time being my first ever baking attempt being an almond flour pound cake that turned out more like a thin graham cracker/cookie cake type thing due to making enough for a 9-inch round pan recipe but using a 9x12 or 9x13 pan. But good luck to you with coconut flower, I can't wait to dive in!

Nancy: The fat tip sounds like it might be very key, thanks! And yup, it's true things tend to cook for a little after taking them off the heat - and I agree, it seems like a much better deal to undercook rather than overcook. Reminds me of a time I first made some chicken parmesan: I didn't think about how turning off the oven doesn't immediately turn it cold so I put my chicken back in there with the door closed while I was eating what I picked out - maybe not the same as what you meant by taking something off the heat, but reminded me nonetheless.

Too bad you didn't have a recipe for the pancakes. My eyes lit up when you said that because it's one of the few things I'm going to instantly try - but you're right, pancakes are simple enough that a recipe isn't really required.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 04:59
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I use coconut flour, almond flour and sometimes a little flax meal together with egg, butter or cream (or both), a little baking powder and whatever flavoring extracts or sweetener you want.

Coconut flour, like duct tape, is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. It demands the sacrifice of a proper amount of liquid and fats, and time to absorb this at length, after which you can add more fluids. If you do not give the gods of coconut flour this homage, it will suck every molecule of saliva from your mouth with each and every bite. In fact, if you're having trouble drinking enough water, set a half gallon jug next to you and eat some coconut muffins, particularly some a little on the dry side. :-)

Coconut meal does look like ordinary flour, but that doesn't mean it acts like it, nor does almond meal. It is the protein in grains that combines for that baking texture. Eggs are a 'binding' ingredient as is flaxmeal so be sure something like that is included in any recipe with one of those meals. Most of what you need to know about substituting coconut flour for almond meal is to start with less coconut meal, and let it sit for awhile so you can see if/how much additional liquid it might require. It has a nice texture though in baked goods.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 09:57
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
If you do not give the gods of coconut flour this homage, it will suck every molecule of saliva from your mouth with each and every bite. In fact, if you're having trouble drinking enough water, set a half gallon jug next to you and eat some coconut muffins, particularly some a little on the dry side. :-)

quoted for truth!

Pancakes are so forgiving, you don't need a recipe. I think this time I used 2 eggs, 2 heaping T of coconut flour, about 1 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 scoop of whey protein. I sloshed in some peanut oil too. I mixed up the dry ingredients well, added in the wet and used a fork to beat it in a cereal bowl. Add enough water so the batter will spread when you pour it into a pan.

This made two large pancakes and I ate them both and put butter and raspberry syrup (sugar free) on top.

For a single serving I normally use 1 egg and 2 T. of coconut flour, but I wanted to try the whey protein this time, so I added another egg.

I have a theory you can make pancakes out of anything. Once I ground up some zucchini and used it in place of coconut flour. It was ok, it'd been better as a savory pancake, like a fritter, though.

Pancakes are just something small and fine mixed with egg, liquid (as needed) and baking powder.

Don't be afraid to experiment. With enough butter, all experiments are edible!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Aug-03-09 at 10:05.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 11:55

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonian
Thank you very much!

I am an absolute beginner when it comes to cooking and baking, so have no idea how the consistency of batter should be to make things not dry, etc, but I guess that is something I will just have to learn through relentless experimentation. I am sure this site has all kinds of recipes that will help me perfect food as well.

Guess I will be taking the plunge and ordering some soon. If anyone else has any additional helpful comments, feel free.
Take a look at this video on Youtube. She is making muffins but it should give you an idea of the consistency of batter.

I googled both "coconut flour" and "coconut meal" and brought up some interestng looking videos using coconut flour/meal.

ETA: In watching the rest of the video I see that her batter is drier than it would be for pancakes. Just add enough water to where you can see pour the batter onto the griddle.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 09:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I have never tried coconut flour....not in my stores and was very disapointed in the almond flour that I bought at our local Fry's supermarket. The brand was Bob's Red Mill and it tasted like old nuts. I am sure that it had probably been sitting on the shelf for a while, but it was not out dated. Where do y'all purchase coconut flour?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 14:58
Experimenter

BF:

I order it online from netrition or simplycoconut. Just google it.

DO NOT BUY IT FROM BOB's RED MILL! I hear it's just awful.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 15:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thanks Nancy, I will google it. Definitely no more Bob's Red Mill. That almond meal cost 14.00 and I had to throw it away.