Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 14:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/250/145
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default the scale moved!!!

I have been doing Atkins for 5 days now. I couldn't resist the scale this morning and was happy to see it moving downward. So far, I'm having a easy time with this. I am not hungry, I have no problem with my water (I've always been a water drinker). I'm averaging about 1500 calories per day. Is that okay?

I haven't given up the caffeine yet, but I have cut down and I'm going to try to switch to de-caf. And I have yet to start exercising. I have severe back pain right now, but I have some stretches to do, and I should be able to get out and walk.

The only strange thing is my blood sugar is higher then I thought it would be. I'm still in the 140-150 2 hours after meals, even though I split my carbs with lunch and dinner and I've been under 20 every day. I am still on my diabetes medication, 1600 mg of glucaphage and 30 mg of Actos daily. I have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks, and I am going to ask her to take me of the Actos. I know she won't if my numbers are still high.

Last edited by Crafty : Wed, May-15-02 at 14:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 14:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

My personal experience has been that it took a couple of weeks for my blood sugars to come back into the normal range, even with the Glucophage and I absolutely had to stay away from Aspartame or they would go back up again. I've been doing this for a year and now no longer need medication to keep my blood sugars at an average of 100. I'd highly suggest getting Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (the book). It's extremely valuable in understanding your diabetes and how low carbing is the best way to control it....a must-read for any diabetic in my opinion! Way to go on the weight loss. Isn't it nice to see the scale moving down instead of up for a change?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-16, 09:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/294/175 Male 70'
BF:
Progress:

This is the guy that JEY100 called a " hard case ". I'm anal when it comes to writing down what I eat HFLC, I take my BP 3X a day, BG 4X aday,the time and amount of insulin I take. I just got on the scale Monday and I gained 7 lbs. I usally weight myself once a month. I take in 20-25 carbs aday with 2-3 cups of coffee a day with 4 tbsp. of heavy whipping cream and 2 pkg of Splenda. I finally got my sugars down from the 200's to 70-85 following Dr. Fungs advice on fasting every other day. I'm so happy that I now have good control of my BG. I don't know what else to do to try to lose weight at this point. The more weight that I lose, the longer that I'll be here. I'll take any suggestions!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-16, 11:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Thomas,
Please see this thread where we answered your questions about doctors, click on this to open it! http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48819

So we know you don't have a doctor to guide you on lowering your medications after your BG is under control. Many congrats on that!!

But if you have listened to some of Dr. Fung's and Dr. Westman's talks, you probably understand that it is difficult to lose weight if you are still injecting insulin, and BP meds don't help loss of weight either. I'm just some random person on the internet and so this is not medical advice, but will point you to a few resources.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=452693

https://intensivedietarymanagement....atient-profile/

https://web.archive.org/web/2015031...t-to-Expect.pdf (Canadian 5 to 7 BG equals about 90 to 125). So you are doing very well...maybe time to consider lowering some medications...this sheet gives you an example how one doctor might do it.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-25-16 at 04:30.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/294/175 Male 70'
BF:
Progress:

Thank you JEY100
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 02:54

Also to find previous threads, be sure you have "subscription" notices on. Up in the second dark green bar, USER CP, is where you edit your profile, change weight, signature, whatever.
EDIT OPTIONS allows the forum to send you emails daily with links back to your question and any answers. Hit SAVE at bottom of the User CP if you do need to change anything in your profile (or Control Panel/CP).

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-26-16 at 03:52.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 03:51

Hi again Thomas,
Forgot to mention about your food. First without details, what you are eating is probably fine, unless you are truly overeating protein, unlikely if you fast every other day. More likely that it is medications which hinder weight loss, and I hope the information above gives you some guidance how to find a doctor/consider lowering insulin.

2 packets of Splenda is not the end of the world, even with it having the filler maltodextrin. Some switch to the Sugar-free syrups which dont have fillers, you can it find in groceries, Walmart near the coffee and on-line.

But on the food question, wanted to share a Facebook page called "Reversing Diabetes" that has made a very reasonable policy decision about artificial sweeteners for their FB members, who are all on Dr Westman/Dr. Fung/Dr Bernstein VLC type diets like you are. Consider their experience quoted here:

Quote:
Your RD Admins have been discussing the use of artificial sweeteners (AS), sugar free syrups, and homemade low carb sugar free treats in our group. .. We understand that the transition to this woe (way of eating) is huge!
Dr Westman and Dr Bernstein allow some sweeteners and things like sugar free jello as a tool to help break the sugar addiction that most have when beginning the LCHF diet. We also recognize this and understand that it requires time to adjust. Learning a new lifestyle is a process. As time goes on the carb and sugar cravings will lessen and giving up the sweets will become easier for most.
Many in the group, Admins included, have learned through experience, as well as education and personal research, that artificial sweeteners DO cause an insulin response - even with an absence of a blood sugar rise - and once AS are removed, lower average blood sugars, lower fasting blood sugars, and more weight loss resulted!
So our decision is to let our members make their own choices regarding the use of AS or LCHF treats, as well as the use of almond and coconut flours – but never items expressly forbidden on the food list like starchy vegetables or fruits (other than a few berries), etc. and our place as Admins will be to continue to educate the group that AS and "treats" may hinder your blood sugar control, weight loss, etc. so that you all can make informed decisions.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 11:59

Hi again Thomas,

It happened again! I write about some aspect of LC and later some bit of news comes in about that same topic. DietDoctor just posted this interview with a man who Reversed his T2 diabetes. His doctors did not help him reducing his meds. And about ten minutes into this 20 minute interview he talks about using Atkins bars and other processed sweets in the beginning of the diet. He could have written the above quote. His start weight is also near yours. Perfect timing...Think you will like this guy!
http://www.dietdoctor.com/member/interviews/benjamin