Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 08:12

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%

I told my husband about the insurance/pharmacy article. It will sure make us more careful about accepting prescriptions and diagnoses.

I am thinking about all the meds we stopped taking over the years. He was prescribed a statin last year. I was praying to God that he would stop them because I had heard bad things about them. He started eating low-fat and his numbers changed a little bit. He started to feel weird and decided to get a second opinion. The second doctor told him it was crazy for him to be on statins because his cholesterol was fine. He dropped the statins and the (first) doctor after that. I am sure that medicine is still listed on his pharmacy record.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Would he be willing to eat HIGH fat, and LC? You and I both know that his numbers will change dramatically over a few months, that way.

The two biggest numbers are triglycerides and HDL, and their ratio. If you are eating fewer carbs, there's not enough glycogen, or other forms of sugar, to make much triglyceride. What sugar there is is being used for the brain, mostly.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Would he be willing to eat HIGH fat, and LC? You and I both know that his numbers will change dramatically over a few months, that way.

The two biggest numbers are triglycerides and HDL, and their ratio. If you are eating fewer carbs, there's not enough glycogen, or other forms of sugar, to make much triglyceride. What sugar there is is being used for the brain, mostly.

He definitely doesn't need to lose weight, so I think this is a false sense of security for him. I think cutting sugar/starch would be healthy for him because he has other issues (digestion issues, allergies). I realize that thin doesn't always equal healthy. I am not sure how I could get him to changed his diet.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 09:10

The easiest way that I know is to stop preparing sugary/starchy foods. I don't eat them, so I only cook them on special occasions.

We usually have a loaf of bread in the house, if he really "needs" some, but potatoes, rice, etc? He'd have to fix them himself, and he doesn't bother.

I don't know, and I don't ask, what he eats at work. But just knowing that he automatically eats at least 100 fewer carbs at home makes me happier.

Mine's thin, too, and an athlete. But plenty of athletes have dropped dead from heart attacks, after spending their careers carb loading.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 09:15

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan
He definitely doesn't need to lose weight, so I think this is a false sense of security for him. I think cutting sugar/starch would be healthy for him because he has other issues (digestion issues, allergies). I realize that thin doesn't always equal healthy. I am not sure how I could get him to changed his diet.

My husband has always been on the thin side, so I approached it from health issues (of which I have more beside my weight). I can't remember if it was Wheat Belly or Grain Brain that he read, but it convinced him to get off the statin & change his diet. He has drastically reduced - tho not completely eliminated - wheat & sugar.

Now that he is "converted" he will listen when I tell him about lchf things I read - tho he isn't interested enough to do his own reading on the subject.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 09:22

BF:

Perhaps I could try nixing the starches at dinner. Sometimes when I fix a cheesy vegetable casserole I don't do a starch because it is so heavy. He has never really noticed or cared when I have done that. Perhaps a few more of those meals will help cut the carbs a little.
I tried to get him to do nuts instead of pretzels for his snacks but he ended up doing both.

He definitely is not going to read a whole book about health and diet unless some professional he respects suggests it. Even then he might only read an article.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 09:48
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan

My wife is the same way -- or at least she used to be. For the first 25 years of our marriage she could eat a junky diet full of soda, sweets, chips, snack cakes, bread, pasta, and pizza. She didn't get fat from it so why change? She loves her 'yummy num nums'. These days the scale is creeping up some and she is not in the greatest of health. She actually confessed to me the other day that she was getting jealous that my health and energy/activity level was on the rise while hers is in rapid decline. Jealous, but she won't change her diet. She eats better now that I do the cooking. But she still supplements her diet with the junk foods she won't give up. That is apparently not good enough. Her health is not improving.

I was a Type 2 diabetic. Now I am not. I claim cured. I don't eat the junk that made me sick so I won't get sick again. Yet I still get all the diabetes mailings & 'lifestyle guidance' from my insurance company even though I've had a normal A1C for more than 2 years. My company just changed our health insurance plan to another company this past July 1st. I'm wondering if my "diabetic" label will follow me there.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Jul-08-16 at 10:01.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-16, 19:00

Back when I worked for an insurance company, a "pre-existing condition" was anything for which you had "received care treatment or diagnosis" within the six months preceding the start date of the policy.

And the insurance company could refuse to cover it, for the first 6 months of the new policy.

Those days are past, thanks to the ADA. But because it doesn't go far enough, and had WAY too much insurance company input, that doesn't mean that they can't charge you more for care for chronic conditions, as Janet found out.

Although, I'm pretty sure that you could argue that a disease for which you've not received care for well over a year is no longer chronic for you. Whether they'll work with that argument is another thing, entirely.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 07:29

BF:

i got my lab results yesterday.
A1C: 5.4

Cholestrol
Total: 200
Trigs: 38
HDL: 71
LDL: 121 (not sure if this is good or bad, doctor isn't worried though)

I think this is because I was eating low-carb for the last 3 months, even though I was far from perfect. I am thrilled with that A1C, but I know that will change if I go back to a high carb diet, because my post meal numbers go well above 160 with starches.

*Edit: I did some research about A1C. I am no longer thrilled with that number. I thought I had read somewhere that under 6 was ideal, but I must have been thinking of something else. Now my goal is to see that go down by my next physical.

Last edited by maycan : Tue, Jul-26-16 at 15:02.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 08:42

May, those labs are STELLAR. The most important in the lipids panel is the triglyceride/HDL ratio, and yours is amazing. Acceptable is 2:1 trigs to HDL, and yours is nearly the reverse, which is wonderful. Your TC is fine, and LDL, unless it's actually counted, is just an imputed number based on the other two.

But since you are eating LCHF, the fact is that you SHOULD have a bit higher LDL in your bloodstream, as that's what your body is primarily using for energy.

As you go longer on this WOE, your A1c will drop, too. Those carbing days are now in your past, but they will show on the A1c, since they are still close enough in time.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 04:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I agree with MickiSue, all stellar, including the A1c!