Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 17:27
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Mock PayDay Candy Bars

View photos of these treats at my blog.

These don't require any fancy ingredients! You can use whatever sweetener you prefer.

Mock "PayDay" Peanut Treats

Makes 6 bars

Ingredients:
1/4 cup peanut butter (no-stir type preferred)
2 tablespoons organic unsalted butter OR coconut oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon heavy cream OR coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
sugar-free sweetener, to taste (I use NuNaturals stevia)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts

Preparation:
Add peanut butter, honey, and butter to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for one minute. Remove and immediately whisk in vanilla extract and heavy cream or coconut milk. Stir in sweetener and pinch of salt. Taste and adjust if necessary. Fold in peanuts and drop in globs on to a pan lined with wax paper. Chill in freezer until firm, then transfer to refrigerator.

~6g net carbs per treat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 21:00
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 227/174/166 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 87%

OH MY!!! I think I'm in love. lol

I haven't tried them yet but if any of your recipes taste as good as they look. I'm THERE!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 22:05

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
View photos of these treats at my blog.

These don't require any fancy ingredients! You can use whatever sweetener you prefer.

Mock "PayDay" Peanut Treats

Makes 6 bars

Ingredients:
1/4 cup peanut butter (no-stir type preferred)
2 tablespoons organic unsalted butter OR coconut oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon heavy cream OR coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
sugar-free sweetener, to taste (I use NuNaturals stevia)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts

Preparation:
Add peanut butter, honey, and butter to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for one minute. Remove and immediately whisk in vanilla extract and heavy cream or coconut milk. Stir in sweetener and pinch of salt. Taste and adjust if necessary. Fold in peanuts and drop in globs on to a pan lined with wax paper. Chill in freezer until firm, then transfer to refrigerator.

~6g net carbs per treat

Dare I buy a jar of honey?! I haven't had any in the house for awhile, but I just might get some now. This recipe looks fab!

A question: How much stevia did you use? I know you say, "to taste" but a guideline as to volume would help.

Also: "no-stir" peanut butter? The brand I buy is just peanuts and salt, and oil will separate over time in such a product. I also sometimes get fresh milled peanut butter that's just peanuts. Do you use peanut butter with something in it to prevent it from separating? If so, does it improve texture, or...?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 14:16
Registered Member

BF:

just bought the peanuts and honey everything else I had.

Will be trying these tonight.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 15:22

Plan: .
Stats: 000/000/000 Male .
BF:
Progress: 84%

these look delish! not for induction tho....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 17:56
LCing for health!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
Dare I buy a jar of honey?! I haven't had any in the house for awhile, but I just might get some now. This recipe looks fab!

A question: How much stevia did you use? I know you say, "to taste" but a guideline as to volume would help.

Also: "no-stir" peanut butter? The brand I buy is just peanuts and salt, and oil will separate over time in such a product. I also sometimes get fresh milled peanut butter that's just peanuts. Do you use peanut butter with something in it to prevent it from separating? If so, does it improve texture, or...?

Hi ImOnMyWay! I just use any old honey... the cheapest you can find at Wally World or wherever. It just sits in my cupboard, being emptied very sloooowly in tiny amounts. Do you have a problem having a large amount of it around though? Some health food stores have honey dispensers. You could just get a little cup!

Great question about the stevia. I dust my pure NuNaturals stevia extract into the mixture and taste and add more if necessary. The opposite end of a spoon is the perfect implement for this. I guess an amount to start with would be 1/16 of a teaspoon.

No-stir PB is made by Maranatha, Archer Farms (Target), Albertson's Organic brand... just means that it has added palm oil (not partially hydrogenated!) to prevent oil separation. This helps the candy to set up a bit more firm, but it doesn't make a huge difference.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 20:42
Registered Member

BF:

These things are AWESOME! I definitely WARN anyone who has portion control issues to not go there!! because man...so good. lol I ate 2 not all at once because they are rich but I only planned to eat one so...

I think I'll be making these for christmas gifts (lol yea I think ahead). I'm gonna make a tray of "goodies" like I usually do for certain people but make everything low carb.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 20:52

Plan: .
Stats: 000/000/000 Male .
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickrish
I think I'll be making these for christmas gifts (lol yea I think ahead). I'm gonna make a tray of "goodies" like I usually do for certain people but make everything low carb.

That's an awesome idea!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 22:37

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
Hi ImOnMyWay! I just use any old honey... the cheapest you can find at Wally World or wherever. It just sits in my cupboard, being emptied very sloooowly in tiny amounts. Do you have a problem having a large amount of it around though? Some health food stores have honey dispensers. You could just get a little cup!

Great question about the stevia. I dust my pure NuNaturals stevia extract into the mixture and taste and add more if necessary. The opposite end of a spoon is the perfect implement for this. I guess an amount to start with would be 1/16 of a teaspoon.

No-stir PB is made by Maranatha, Archer Farms (Target), Albertson's Organic brand... just means that it has added palm oil (not partially hydrogenated!) to prevent oil separation. This helps the candy to set up a bit more firm, but it doesn't make a huge difference.

thank you, LC Student! I'm in the mood for peanutty goodness, so maybe I'll make your recipe this weekend.

#10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 09:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think I've seen natural peanut butter with palm oil in Costco too.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 17:58

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Sounds good!~!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

I made these with the SF honey and coconut oil. I made them to take to the movies as a candy bar substitute. They melted in my purse. Are they supposed to be so melty? It was like the inside of a reeses peanut butter cup. Hmmmm--leave out nuts and cover in chocolate. The taste was very good though. So glad I found your blog.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 14:49
LCing for health!

BF:

Lickrish, so glad you enjoyed!

Hi Preck, sorry if I didn't make it clear that they are to be enjoyed from the fridge! They are unfortunately not portable (especially not with coconut oil). Coconut oil is the most liquid at room temperature. Butter is second most liquid, and non-hydrogenated shortening is the most firm. A bit of xanthan gum will help the firmness as well.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 16:52

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

A little wax might help stabilize the mix, a lot sux but a little doesn't hurt