Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:06
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default What if you know its emotional eating but you just cant control it?

Recently I have been going through my own emotional hell. My eating has been a reflection of that. I have been very frustrated, sad, upset, tired, bored, drained. Basically a mess. I know that its effecting my food choices and when I pick something to eat I am aware of it too, I just dont seem to care (if that makes any sense)

I have never 'cheated' but I have had more carbs than I should have, and Ive made poorer choices with eating frankenfoods etc.

Recently, most of my choices have been poorer once which has triggered this bad cycle and I cant break free from it.

I am not hungry yet I want to eat all day. I am neglecting my exercise. I am not watching my calories at all.

Basically I need to get my emotional eating under control and I need to be more disciplined. Easier said than done. I just cant seem to shake this off.

I cant continue this way and I just feel like a trainwreck.

How do you become more disciplined and control emotional eating?

Rewards are nice and taking a shower or going for a walk or doing your nails etc are all great things... but I cant take a shower every second of the day.

Its as if this consumes me because I am constantly surrounded with whatever is stressing me, and that wont be worked out with me for at least 6 months... probably longer.

I need a realistic way to control my emotional eating aside from just wanting to.

I know it probably sounds silly and I am rambling. I am just feeling very overwhelmed with a lot of problems and food has always been part of how I coped with it.

As simple as it sounds to just not eat it or do it, its very difficult for me. I feel weak for being unable to control my emotions or my eating and I am very confused and sad and frustrated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292.5/282/165 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:54.66%/54.66%/25%
Progress: 8%
Default emotional eating

MJ, you dont sound silly at all. I know EXACTLY what you are going thru! The reason I gain weight like I do is that I use food to soothe myself when my emotions run amuk. I am working really hard on learning new ways to do this that do not include Ben OR Jerry.
I found a website online at www.holisticconcepts.com and they sell a CD for $15 (US) that is full of exercises (written ones, not like physical workouts ) and readings that are really helping me to help myself. Once I ordered the CD (its for your computer - a manual with written assignements and stuff in it - very cool), it took only a few days to arrive and I've been working with it every since. I haven't felt that compulsion to binge since I've been using the CD.
Good luck and let me know how things are going!

<hugs>

Holly
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:26

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

One way might be to try and contol your appetite. In my opinion it is the protein in this way of eating that suppresses the appetite, more so than the fats.

You might like to try cooking up some hard boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge. Snack on them whenever you want to. They are an excellent appetite suppressant and one or two might kill off the emotional eating for hours.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:35

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

MyJourney,

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time right now. Stress and emotions are major triggers for me also when it comes to eatting. I wish I had an easy answer for you on how to walk away from the bad choices, but if I did I wouldn't be trying to lose all this weight myself

Suggestions to help control the unwanted munchies:
come on line to vent or get help, we are all here to help support each other
brush your teeth - toothpaste and food don't go well together
exercise - walk, clean, bike anything you can do away from food or kitchen
go look in closet and ask if the food choice is worth not being able to fit in your new smaller clothes
weigh yourself and see if the food is worth the number going up
before you eat something you aren't really hungry for eat a bowl of spinach, after a few cups of spinach sometimes I give up on the lc chocolate bar calling my name

These are a few things I do when in trouble. I'm sure others will have more ideas to help. Please take care of yourself and if I can help or you just want to vent feel free to - I'm here for you if you need me.

Marie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

MJ, one line that has stuck with me from the Dr. Phil book is that our feelings come from the way we talk to ourselves. I've found that my stress attacks come on from my thinking about how helpless my situation is. When I try to change my view from hopeless to challenging it really lifts my spirits. I also find being around people and doing fun things even though I don't "feel" like it, or getting myself engrossed in a good uplifting book helps.

The rain falls on all of us, may you have a wonderful growth spurt when you're thru it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:55

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

I'm glad that Nawchem mentioned DR. Phill's book. I need to re-read it myself. I too am an emotional eater. I feel into that mode a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. And afterwards, I felt so bad that I did it. It's an evil cycle. I try to keep tempting foods out of my house. I rather overeat some carrots or broccoli instead or hardboilled eggs. But everyone is right, you have to deal with the emotional side of your eating before you can deal with the actually habit of eating. Try the CD that JM suggested (I may try it too) read Dr. Phil's book if you haven't. It is helpful. If you are a religious or spiritual person, that is first place to turn to. Family and good trusting friends are there to listen. And try journaling. That usually helps me feel better about my situation better than eating does.

It will work out...every garden needs a little rain to grow.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Someone beat me to the Dr Phil reference!!

Seriously, as he says, all the "want to" in the world won't cut it.

I'm going back to work on the faulty thinking key. I'm gifted with the ability to talk myself into giving up these days. I have to replace those slippery-slope thoughts with more positive messages. I know, it probably sounds all touchy-feely-psychobabble, but it comes down to arguing with those thoughts of "I can't do it" "Why do I even bother to try?" "One day off won't hurt me..I deserve it" and such...

If all else fails I could just hit myself with the book when cravings hit.. aversion therapy.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 12:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%
Unhappy

MyJourney,

You have to deal with the emotional issues. We are emotional beings and no amount of intellectual prowess would ever help me if I was feeling bad, emotionally. Yes, the Dr Phil book and the work he does is great, best there is!

Best of luck to you with this.

It may help to "open up" about the emotional issues. I know that there are a lot of very supportive people on this forum. And I would give you all that I can, too.

J
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:06
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thank you so much for all of the support. I really needed it.

I think I am going to pick up the Dr. Phil book and the CD.. if for nothing else than to smack myself over the head with it.

I have been doing better today. My meals are back under control (so far) and I think I will just take it one day at a time the best I can.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:11
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi MYJourney! Sorry that you're struggling!

You've got some great advice. I hate to be another Dr Phil quoter but he says you replace good habits with new ones. So when you want to eat because of something emotional you have to find something to replace it like writing in a diary about how you are feeling, like doing some situps, like trying on clothes that used to be too tight or taking them out and seeing how far you have come, like going for a walk. You can use all of those.

Hang in there.

red
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 21:47
Registered Member

Stats: 200/184/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 29%

I agree with the above suggestion for Dr. Phil's book. I found many parts of that book helpful. I too have been an emotional eater and have been struggling with that lately. Something else that has really helped me are keto shakes. They fill me up, satisfy my cravings and really take away that craving to snack. I think all the protien and fiber and all the other ingredients send a signal to the brain that you are full and satisfied. Anyway it works for me! Hang in there, I hope things get better for you!