Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-07, 13:35
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default This, That and PP Chat for October '07

Hi everyone! I realize it's probably seemed as though I've fallen off the planet, but I'm still here and kicking. And so is my baby! LOL

I can't say I'm following PP like I once was...this pregnancy thing has thrown me for a loop! HOWEVER, I still follow many, many of the principles and I think the quality of the food I eat is influenced greatly by the plan. The eggs are still high quality, the meat nitrate free and antibiotic free as often as possible, the dairy totally hormone free, etc. I have been allowing myself a variety of fruits in very reasonable portions (such as grapes and apples) and I've also indulged in cucumbers and tomatoes in large quantities...because they came directly from our garden (along with fresh herbs). I am having things with sugar in it, but I'm really trying to be selective and not overdo it. I'm not trying to make excuses, but I will say I've gone more to intuitive eating versus highly controlled. I try to pay attention to my body and I also drink a great deal of water, which has helped a lot.

I seem to be rather healthy and pregnancy is agreeing with me. I keep generally active, though my time at the gym has fallen by the wayside. I still walk, some garden work, do lots of photography (have shot 10 weddings while pregnant) and of course tons of housework (I'm still the one who does laundry up and down 2 flights of stairs and vacuums and cooks for the family.) Basically I've kept busy taking care of everyone in the house (Mom is doing well but requires a lot of care and assistance). But despite being so busy, my body continues to react well to being pregnant. If it weren't for a growing tummy and some major kicking, I might forget some days that I was pregnant I feel so normal. Ok, so I'm VERY tired...but then again, the way I run around, I think I should be!

My trips to the OB have been very positive. BP is always normal (120/70 or thereabouts everytime). My initial bloodwork was strong...no problems or concerns, strong counts where they should be, even unexpected immunities. They haven't said a word to me about my weight. I've gained about 24 pounds so far...close to pound per week of pregnancy (I'm currently in my 26th week). The weight gain has been nice and steady, which is good. And I seem to be carrying it in front, where I've expanded to the point that I can see it...but most people still don't guess I'm pregnant yet. The rest of me looks fairly similar, which is a marked difference from when I was first trying to lose weight (my face doesn't look puffy like it once did, which shows how this weight gain is so different). Also, my last OB visit elicited a compliment on my ankles. LOL I guess at 25 weeks or so they expect some swelling, but with all my water consumption and activity I've managed to do fairly well. I've heard my baby's heartbeat repeatedly - each time very strong. And since about my 18th or 19th week I've been feeling my baby move and it's getting more frequent and stronger every day. I tend to react by giggling a lot, but I have to say it's very reassuring to know that even though I'm crazed and challenged daily by my responsibilities that he is growing strong inside me!

And yeah, we found out by a confident tech (let's hope she's right) that it's a boy!

Hope everyone is doing well. I do try to stop by when I can and read up and of course as soon as I can, I'll return and get back into a much more dedicated PP routine!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 08:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Lisa I think you are doing great and its good to hear from you. I check into your journal now and then but only have time to lurk these days on most of my fourms and other sites.

Here's my update for October.
Work continues to be very busy. We are finally hiring a full time assistant for my department (which, by the way, consists of me fulltime, and about 1/4 of my boss' time if that.). I'm thrilled! Wrote the job description this week and hope to have it posted in another week. I'm so bogged down that I'm taking work home constantly and have lost track of several of our projects. Operating in continual crisis and bandaid mode is not a good way to run a public policy department. I still love this work and even if I had no help i'd keep doing it regardless.

On the plus side, the Triangle Low Carb Cooking Meetup group is really taking off. A year ago I started a local meetup to cook and eat with other low carbers, but then D's mom died and it seemed like most of our time was taken up with family and work. I totally ignored the group until a member offered to help organize it (thank you thank you L!) and with renewed intrest things have really taken off. We will have our second meetup at my house with about 6-8 of us bringing dishes to share at an Italian themed potluck meal and we have about 25 active members (and a dozen or so inactive ones I'm trying to reconnect to the group). The group is still cooking focused right now, but I thnk there is interest in other low carb events, discussions, coffee meetups, etc. so we might even be looking at a name change to make it more general to low carb support.

Personally I've been trying to break all these big tasks into smaller ones that I can easily tackle. Its a skill most adults have likely learned by now but not me. Rather than bemoaning the number of emails I need to deal with or the number of documents I need to read I'm actually able to set small goals and get things done over the course of a week or month instead of trying to cram everything in at once and getting very frustrated.

Weight continues downward trend after three months of staying steady (I refuse to call it a stall since I was having regular off plan days and eating at higher carb levels.). I'm still on the no dairy, no grain (even LC ones) bandwagon and aside from a few meals where dairy was integrated into my food during a hotel stay (and that gelato vacation), its been pretty smooth. There are so many recipes to make without dairy although I have had to drop a few favorites for now since it seems odd to make them without cheese. This week we have had turkey meatballs, and steak and chicken salad, and in the crockpot right now is a coconut curry chicken stew bubbling away.

The budget reamins a challenge. Its not unlike when I started back on low carb 15 months ago. At first there is the enthusiasm of making a change and committing to something that you know is right. You have some initial success that shows you you are on the right path. You feel confident and think this is going to be a piece of cake, (er, piece of steak?) - how come it took some long to do it? Then a few weeks go by and the realization settles in that this is going to take a while, not forever, but quite a while. And its hard. Not hard in the sense that there is anything complicated (eat less carbs lose weight, spend less money pay off debt. duh) but hard to change habits and manage the mental game of ignoring both internal and external influences (ooh those shoes are pretty. gosh maybe we need new furniture? hey is that caramel? lol). You do the calculations and realize its going to take a year (or two, or more!) and dobut creeps in...is it worth it? YES! YES! demon begone!! ugh. It is toally worth doing as are most things that are hard. its good to keep reminding myself that a year ago I weighed far more than I do now and that slow and steady wins the race.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 16:26

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Congrats on the baby Lisa. My daughter is due in about 60 days and this will be my 3rd grandchild. I have 2 granddaughters and I think my daughter is having a girl too. They don't want to know what the baby is until it's born, but the needle and thread trick says its a girl. As long as it's healthy it doesn't matter.

I'm not new to the boards or LC but fell off the wagon a few years ago. I'm in the process of re-reading my books and going through cupboards to get rid of stuff that I should not have. I'm going at this alone with no support. I hate how I feel and look so I need to do this for me, no one else.

I'm not able to post every day but will check in when I can.

jkmfrog I have to agree with you on this - the budget reamins a challenge.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 12:29

Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

First let me repost what I JUST posted on the September thead- silly me hasn't been to this board since September and I forgot that this thread gets updated monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmfrog
Did you figure out what to make for the harvest holiday? (I can never remember how to say/spell that one but I remember our friends building the structure outside every year.) . I ahve a bunch of crockpot ideas but no real recipes: I like chicken stewed with artichokes and sundried tomatos, or a chicken/turkey/beef chili this time of year is great too. The ground meat can be made into small meatballs and cooked in a spanish or mexican tomato sauce. The recipe I have calls for mixing grated zuchini and mexican spices into the meat which makes for a moist meatball.
Yes, I made a bunch of things for Succos. I also asked for recipe ideas on a parenting website I frequent, and since it's an overall bigger website I got some more responses there.

I made an LC shepard's pie (somebody suggested regular shepard's pie so I made it with cauliflower in place of potatoes), a meatball stew (mixing almond meal in with the ground turkey in place of breadcrumbs), a couple of different roast chicken dishes (whole chicken stuffed with rice and surrounded by veggies- different choices of veggies and spices made for different flavors) and a beef and bean stew.

Then I got a nasty cold in the middle of Succos (the first two days are major holidays, the middle days are minor holidays, and the last two days are major holidays again. And this year the 2 days of major holidays were follwed immediately by Shabbos, 2 weeks in a row.) My throat burned so much that the only thing that felt good was carbs- not that I had many calories total but plain chicken soup just didn't go down as well as chicken soup with rice, and I NEEDED some honey in my tea!

For the last days of the holiday, I made a lot of roasted chicken (whole chickens were on sale) and some more 1-pot meals that had more carbs in them than my body is really used to. I think the homemade candy apples (so my kids don't get left out when they serve the artificially colored ones at shul) are what really did me in- a whole apple is a cheat to begin with, and when I eat one or two coated in candy it's not a good thing!

The end result is that I gained 3 lbs over the course of the week. I can't *not* serve some carbs for my kids, and it's easier for me to avoid them when they're not all in the same pot.

I'm now back to my normal eating habits and hopefully those pounds will come back off as easily as they crept on.

Lisa- I wouldn't worry too much about staying "perfectly on plan" while pg. I'm sure you're still eating much lower in carbs than the "typical" pg woman. If you're healthy and energetic and the baby's growing well, I wouldn't worry about the daily carb count OR the number on the scale.

I'm not too worried about my budget right now because I was just approved for SSI and, not only will I be getting a steady check every month, I'm owed 2 years worth of back pay! I'll be getting 6 months' worth in about 2 weeks (well, 7 month's worth since I'll get 6m worth of back pay plus November's check) plus my ex (who owes me 4m worth of child support because he's been unemployed and just started working in September) is giving me a check for 2m worth of child support later this week.

At the present moment, I have $10 in my wallet plus $300 worth of Food Stamps, but I'm going to have a lot of money soon and it's all such a relief to know that I won't be struggling so much in the future.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:19

BF:

The 3 lbs I gained over vacation are gone! I'm down to 173.5- which is still half a pound over my absolute lowest weight in the last month but I'm sure the weight will keep coming off now that my holidays are over and I'm back to eating normal (ie LC) foods.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 12:32
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Ruth - fantastic news about the vacation weight...and even better, about having some funds finally coming your way. That has got to be a relief!

I'm not worrying too much about being "on plan" or "off plan" or anything like that...I'm really just trying to eat when I'm hungry, eat what I can and what my body responds well to, and focus on my health and my baby's health. (And from what I can see and more often FEEL, he's thriving in there! heh)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 12:48

Plan: Paleo-FFP-IF
Stats: 233/168.5/130 Female 160 centimetres
BF:53%,34.5%,23%
Progress: 63%

Hello Lisa!
I just noticed this thread... so good to hear from you!
I see you're doing great, so hyperactive!!!
Keep up
Best wishes to you and you son!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 10:49

Ruth - by the way congrats on making it through all the SSI bureaucacy.

That shepard's pie with cauliflower sounds great - is there a recipe? Do you make a cauli topping adn if so what do you put in it? (I'm curious because I know you don't use dairy with meat and I'm not eating dairy...well not much anyway)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 19:25

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello every body.

Thought I should pop a note in here to say I am still here. Been very busy, not that any of you would know what that is like.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 12:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmfrog
Ruth - by the way congrats on making it through all the SSI bureaucacy.

That shepard's pie with cauliflower sounds great - is there a recipe? Do you make a cauli topping adn if so what do you put in it? (I'm curious because I know you don't use dairy with meat and I'm not eating dairy...well not much anyway)

I boiled the cauliflower, then mashed it with some mayo and spices and a little chicken broth. I sauteed the ground beef with onions, mushrooms, and green peppers, then put that in the bottom of a foil pan, covered with the mashed broccoli, sprinkled paprika over the top, and baked it.

I use schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) as a cooking fat in most meat dishes- I do use olive oil sometimes but schmaltz tastes better and works better at high temps.

Man, I'm tired and achey. I usually take a combo of supplements and prescription meds to keep the pain under control, but the company I usually order the supps from was out of stock and is just NOW mailing them out to me, even though I ordered them over a month ago. And I goofed by not making a dr's appt as soon as I realized there were 0 refills left on my rX, so I have 4 days worth of meds and 5-6 days until I can refill them (the dr won't be in until tuesday, so I have to call then, and the pharmacy never stocks this med so it will be Wednesday or Thurs before I can get any more.)

So I've been taking half doses of my supplements all week, and I had to skip my meds last night- there's just no avoiding the pain and fatigue right now.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 07:59

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?

A Doc Eades breakfast pic:

#12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 06:01

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I wanted to write him and ask him how she (his mother) makes eggs like that! Mine get very crispy sometimes, though I've started lowering the fire. And those don't look like they were turned, although he calls them over easy.

What is everyone's favorite fat for frying eggs? Butter or bacon grease? I like the flavor of bacon grease, but they brown less with butter.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 08:22

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

OH! OH!.. A cooking question I have some knowledge of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
I wanted to write him and ask him how she (his mother) makes eggs like that! Mine get very crispy sometimes, though I've started lowering the fire. And those don't look like they were turned, although he calls them over easy.
"Over easy" is just that, they ARE turned over BUT so carefully (easy) that the yoke does not break. It is a skill you have to practice a lot to get good at. “Over easy” also means that the yoke is NOT broken. Where as "over" would allow the yokes to be broken when they are turned, though not necessarily - knowlege from eating at a little cafe while in college.

Another thing that helps is to splash (figuratively) the hot grease over the top of the egg as it is cooking. That even could be all that was done to those eggs. Lots of grease helps you to be able to get under the egg so you can flip it over. It also keeps the egg from sticking to the pan and spatula. My mother used to pour off the grease and save it, then use it the next time she was frying something like more eggs. That way there was more than what you would get from just the bacon for that breakfast.

Learning when to turn the egg over is something that only comes with practice, and lots of failures - I know as I have done it. Sort of like knowing when to turn a pancake - something that I now will never ever do again.

Dr. Mike does not like to expose the yoke to the air any sooner than necessary - just before you eat it. That is to minimize the oxidation of the oils, etc. in the yoke.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 08:43
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi everyone. Looks like I joined the conversation just in time. I have a LOT of experience making eggs. I can tell you from looking at that picture that those eggs were actually fried and then covered so the white coats the yolk from the top. I've done that when I don't feel like flipping them but want to keep them from being totally "sunny side up". Larry's tips on eggs are absolutely correct. I know when I make mine "over easy" (which is my favorite) I carefully turn them (think how you'd carefully turn fish...sliding under and turning over versus "flipping") just after the white is hard enough not to run. I also turn the heat off the eggs when I think they are close because it's easy to over cook them. Oh yeah, I also use a non-stick pan with butter...I just adore the flavor. And...as I've mentioned many times over...I use very high quality cage-free eggs, which I honestly think cook better and taste better. HTH!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 11:12

mmmm. butter. I use whatever is on hand - butter, bacon grease, olive oil, coconut...I think butter tastes best, but I like the way bacon grease or lard fries, and coconut oil too since they are less likely to burn.

Afer many years of restaurant cooking, I still struggle to make a good soft fried egg. :-( Dr Mike's Mom's made me drool.