Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-11, 20:51

Plan: adkins
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default Greetings - new FIBRO dx

I had surgery in July - a hysterectomy. I quit breathing in the recovery room and had to be re-intubated for four minutes before I started breathing on my own and my sat levels went back to normal. In august I started have horrific jaw pain. Along with it was less serious joint pain - neck/shoulders, elbows (one elbow has touch sensitivity to it), hips, and knees.
I tried Savella but was so nauseous all the time. Recently went on cymbalta and I feel like I have the flu...?? anyway, looking for ways to reduce the daily flares, including diet changes. I have recently requested disability at work - cold temps and stress seem to be my big stressers. I have a very stressful desk job.
thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-11, 21:44

Plan: Divinely Mine
Stats: 223.8/222.8/170.0 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 2%

I eat based on celiac, and food intolerances (dairy, grains, eggs - but that's for me) low carb helps. And learning to stop more foods that trigger me. Some readings have that fibro people are celiac or celiac intolerant. That might be something to look into for you. I too stopped work due to stress/anxiety. I'm better and flare less being home. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 08:09

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Two things helped me most...one was stopping anything made with grains. And the other was sleeping in seperate room from ex DH (which is no longer a problem).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 16:47

Plan: protein power
Stats: 215/209.6/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Low carb has really helped me, in part because I may be celiac, but I've had severe auto immune issues and that's why I started back on the low carb.

Try cutting out all grains and beans even if they are allowed as a reward meal or a treat on some low carb diets. Go the full (LOL "monty") ahem, Atkins/Protein Power and cut out all grains and beans.

It took about 6 weeks in which I started to feel a bit better in the first week, but it was a gradual climb up out of the fog and fatigue.

I went on a trip and confirmed that bread is a horrible substance for me and I just read Wheat Belly which explained why all the auto immune stuff and the fatigue plus other problems were related to wheat.

I had 3 negative tests for celiac, but the tests are often false negative, so I think for me it's celiac.

Hope that helps. Looking back thru the decades, I'm pretty sure wheat has been a problem all along.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 16:56

Plan: protein power
Stats: 215/209.6/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Oh and I forgot to add, the only time I've had arthritis, it was soy and legumes. I had to cut them out, lentils, soy, beans, green beans, peanuts, and peas. All gone, then my arthritis improved and went away.

A lot of what "experts" tell you is healthy, isn't. When I was hospitalized with diverticulitis the first time, I couldn't believe it, because I was high fibre!

People yapped on about how low fat, and beans and grains were so healthy, and it contributed to my problems. BTW I had my total hysterectomy in 2003.

If I could go back in time, I'd tell me to quit eating any grains, whole or not, no pasta, nothing, no legumes and severely cut back on fruit. Eat plenty of veggies, especially cooked ones, (I get cramps from too much raw stuff) and PLENTY OF GOOD FATS. Cut the margerine and veg oils altogether except for olive and coconut, and eat lots of REAL BUTTER, cheese, eggs, and the fat on the meats.

Cook meat on the bone, as much as possible, the shiny cartilage and gristly bits are full of natural joint healers (call it natural glucosamine and chondroitin).

Take extra cod liver oil and omega 3 wild fish oil capsules along with co enzyme Q10 and enjoy the feelings of health coming back.

I started to sleep better on this diet. Feel better too.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 16:52

Plan: Atkins and Greens First
Stats: 256.4/250/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi I have had fibro for 18 years and just now I have been told about inflamatory foods. Go to Google Search and type in inflamatory foods and they will give you a list of not to eat stuff that will shock you. I started taking Lyrica and have seen a good inprovement in the last few months. Good Luck.