Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-09, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%
Question No thyroid at all....

Just wondering if there is anyone else here with no thyroid at all? I was diagnosed with 2 types of thyroid cancer 6 yrs ago... one was slow and the second set of cells found was aggressive. I had to have my entire thyroid removed and 1 parathyroid nodule plus some lymph nodes. I am all good now... taking synthroid. Just wondering about anyone else out there....
Thanks... Joanne.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 01:58

Plan: bodytrim
Stats: 223.3/223.3/187 Female 167.64
BF:
Progress: 0%

hey Joanne

i have no thyroid either....i had multinodular goiters, that closed seventy percent of my trachea and wrapped themselves around my vocal cords. Had it taken out three years ago.

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 11:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have no functioning thyroid, just a blob of dead tissue, killed by radiation. I had Graves disease and it was treated by killing the entire thyroid with radioactive iodine.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-09, 13:55

If you don't mind my asking... what meds do you take and how do you find they have worked for you? I am on 250mcg of synthroid daily.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 12:13

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I am on the t3/t4 protocol and am doing great after a thyroidectomy this year. 150 mcg Synthroid and 20 mcg Cytomel.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
I am on the t3/t4 protocol and am doing great after a thyroidectomy this year. 150 mcg Synthroid and 20 mcg Cytomel.

Hmmm... what is Cytomel and why are you taking both? I am guessing it's T4? What is the benefit of the combination instead of straight synthroid that I am taking?
Thanks!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 11:12

Stats: 182/165/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I also have no thyroid at all... (hurthle cell carcinoma stage 2) so this thread caught my attention
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabegoni
I also have no thyroid at all... (hurthle cell carcinoma stage 2) so this thread caught my attention

How are you doing? How long ago was your treatment?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 10:01

Plan: Carb addicts
Stats: 210/207/150 Female 5 ft 7in
BF:
Progress:

I also have no thyroid...

I was diagnosed with cancer at age 21 (that was almost 15 years ago)...
I had a nodule and the 1st lobe removed that was determined to be cancer... one week later I had the other lobe removed...
interestingly both of my parents have also had thyroid cancer... my dad in the early 70's (possibly due to radiation asthma treatments in the 40's-50's)... my mom about 7years after my diagnosis...
curiously, my dad was a biologist at a nuclear power plant (which we lived near and visited staff recreation stuff at) when I was under 5 years old (in the late 70's)

I currently take levothyroxin...

I am still trying to be a good patient... I have had a horrible time remembering to take my meds...
when my levels get really out of control... i have gout like pain in a variety of joints (knee, ankle, toe, finger) just one joint at a time...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 10:11
Experimenter

BF:

You might try taking your meds at bedtime. I find that's an easy time for me to remember. I put them on my nightstand and it has become a nightly ritual.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 11:31

Plan: Carb addicts
Stats: 210/207/150 Female 5 ft 7in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You might try taking your meds at bedtime. I find that's an easy time for me to remember. I put them on my nightstand and it has become a nightly ritual.

THANKS Nancy...
I have been keeping my meds in my van... sitting in the cup holder... that seems to work... I remember to take them while they are staring at me during my commute

the only issue is on days when I don't drive anywhere (which really is rarely)... or if I go off routine (like vacation or something)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrans
I also have no thyroid...

I was diagnosed with cancer at age 21 (that was almost 15 years ago)...
I had a nodule and the 1st lobe removed that was determined to be cancer... one week later I had the other lobe removed...
interestingly both of my parents have also had thyroid cancer... my dad in the early 70's (possibly due to radiation asthma treatments in the 40's-50's)... my mom about 7years after my diagnosis...
curiously, my dad was a biologist at a nuclear power plant (which we lived near and visited staff recreation stuff at) when I was under 5 years old (in the late 70's)

I currently take levothyroxin...

I am still trying to be a good patient... I have had a horrible time remembering to take my meds...
when my levels get really out of control... i have gout like pain in a variety of joints (knee, ankle, toe, finger) just one joint at a time...

I had 2 surgeries 1 weeks apart as well..... I take my meds in the evening, bed time..... I have enever had a ny pain issues but one time my Rx ran out and it took me 3 days ( my own fault) to fill it but I thought it wouldn't be a huge deal, how bad would I feel after only 3 days right? lol... wrong.... my brain was soooo foggy, I was tired and sick feeling... almost like a horrible hang over.... I'll never do that agian..lol...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 20:57

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Your thyroid produces T1, T2, T3 and T4-this is why many prefer the dessicated natural porcine meds. T4 takes 6 weeks to get into your system at levels for your body to use. The problem with only taking T4 or Synthroid is that many of us don't convert the T4 into T3 correctly and we are deficient. This is why some feel ill and still have hypothyroid symptoms on Synthroid only. You can tell if you have a conversion problem the results of your free T3 and free T4 tests.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 11:25
Experimenter

BF:

I did not do well on natural thyroid, the porcine thyroid is higher in T3 than humans produce, or so I've heard.

I am thinking of finding a doctor that would prescribe T3 along with the T4.