Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 23:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

I always find your posts so insightful. Did you see Dr.Eades fast schedule attempt which gave them a 24 hour fast every other day but they ate every day? You eat til 6pm today & not til after 6pm tomorrow then til 6pm the day after & so on.

Dr.Lutz in his book "Life without Bread" had overly thin patients that were brought to a healthy size with low carb. Possibly your body has reached it's optimal size?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 22:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfid
I always find your posts so insightful. Did you see Dr.Eades fast schedule attempt which gave them a 24 hour fast every other day but they ate every day? You eat til 6pm today & not til after 6pm tomorrow then til 6pm the day after & so on.

Dr.Lutz in his book "Life without Bread" had overly thin patients that were brought to a healthy size with low carb. Possibly your body has reached it's optimal size?

Thanks Cindy. I get much of my insight from the Eades and their "cohorts"
I began IF after reading about their experience with it. Since they did it in a way that, pretty much, works for them, I decided to do it in a way that works for me. I have several comments on their IF blog ( Mary Titus ). I told Dr. Mike how I do it and he wanted me to keep him informed with my progress.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 08:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm enjoying this thread, and still trying to work IF into my schedule on a more regular basis. I get to work at 7:30 AM and have my morning coffee right away. Generally I would have breakfast between 9-10 AM but a few times had experimented with trying to hold off until later, as usually I didn't get hungry until after 11 AM. And by then I figured I could hold out until lunchtime at least.

I decided to try adding coconut oil to my coffee beginning yesterday. My son had tried it warned me it tasted "nasty" but I actually thought it was okay. The only drawback is that it seems to make me hungrier! But yesterday and today I started my day with about 2 tsp of coconut oil in my morning coffee, and by 9:45 AM I was ready to eat my desk I was so hungry! Much earlier hunger than usual. I've been holding off but right now I could eat not only my desk but my carpet as well.

Odd as I rarely get hungry before about 11 AM usually. Maybe I'll try some more coconut oil now.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 08:29

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
But yesterday and today I started my day with about 2 tsp of coconut oil in my morning coffee, and by 9:45 AM I was ready to eat my desk I was so hungry!

I've never found coconut oil to be satisfying like others do. Sometimes I take it when I feel like I need to zap some gut-bugs (and the taste seems like what I'd want), but I don't use it to manage hunger. If I eat anything, I eat a whole meal. I've found ghee more satisfying than coconut oil, and when I mix egg yolk with my coconut milk, that makes it more satisfying too. I think my body needs some cholesterol or fat-soluble vitamins to be satsified.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 20:39

BF:

If I felt that CO contributed to increased hunger...I wouldn't use it in my morning coffee. I find that , both CO and MCT oil stop the morning stomach growels allowing me to proceed through the day without thinking about my tummy.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 05:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well, it's hard to know, from only a single day or two, how something will work in the long term. But today I'm skipping the coconut oil! However I'm also feeling a yen for a nice cheese omelet, so this may be more of an "eating" day. :-)
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 11:04

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

You know, I was thinking about this alot, Merpig. Since the whole point (well, part of the whole point) of the CO is to increase the ketogenic effect, I would have to say the correlation sounds backwards (although it is interesting to see that Capmikee has the same effect, too).

One possible explanation (although it's purely a guess) is that the OTHER effects of CO are causing the hunger, and it is only temporary. That is...the antihistamine properties...and the anti-yeast properties (whatever the scientific words for those really are).

One possibility is this (this is what I would do if I was in your shoes):
KEEP taking the Coconut oil. SLOWLY increasing.
When the hunger is there, feed it.
That is, put aside the IFing for now until you have adapted to the coconut oil.

One question I have is...how low are your daily carbs?
Do you know if you are in ketosis on a daily basis?
I ask because PPLP and especially paleo do not necessarily guarantee that you will be in ketosis.

It would be an interesting experiment to say the least.
Enjoy the journey!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 16:13

BF:

Saturday I will turn 52 years old. At that moment, I will have been low carbing for 6 years. I will be doing IF for 2 years. Actually the past 2 years, my diet will be closer to ketogenic than Atkins. This is the right diet for me and I know that it can help many others. One of the guys at the beauty salon was miserable due to a vicious migraine. I wanted to tell him so badly how to cure migraines. Instead I have decided to put together a paper on why I no longer have the nasty little monsters.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 10:35

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
One of the guys at the beauty salon was miserable due to a vicious migraine. I wanted to tell him so badly how to cure migraines. Instead I have decided to put together a paper on why I no longer have the nasty little monsters.

That is sooooo sweet of you! I really must do the same for a neighbour who has a kid with asthma. I have read so many things about how low-carb and other stuff can help with asthma, and I offered her my English and American books but she said her English wasn't that good.

I hope your guy at the beauty salon tries out your suggestions! I occasionally give people "good advice" and they generally just look at me as if I just got out of a Martian spaceship... Now I mostly keep my mouth shut, much as it pains me...

Oh, and happy 52nd birthday!

amanda