Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-13, 17:34
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

cpsnow, what made you gain weight? you said over the holidays (you mean the 4th?) and ate sugar (do you mean refined processed foods or fruits and veggies?).

Sounds to me you have a handle on the situation. And that perhaps, you can't have both at one time?

Just my take on it.

I was a competitive athlete in college and for me being type 2 diabetic and eating 17-30 carbs a day, my muscles honestly couldn't support a grueling work out. I been doing this ratio for about 4 months with workouts to maintain good Blood Sugars. Right now I do 30 minute weight circuit 3 times a week and 22 minutes on the bike (hills work out). And my muscles are burning before my heart rate can get my heart rate up to 80-85%.

I would say it has to do with the carbs/insulin reistance on my part.

I say stick with what you know, works. Be patience with the short term disruption to your athletics. And then once you are where you want to be at. Start experimenting with some fruit during matches or intense work out sessions. And all other times (non match/work out times) watch your carbs.

Just my take on it...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-13, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/220/190 Male 5"10
BF:
Progress: 41%

I train 6-7 days a week hard ...since going lc I cannot seem to go to the gym without a sugar free red bull or sugar free energy drink
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-13, 10:58

Plan: Self-researched
Stats: 315/240/225 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsnow
Greenlion, I'm glad you can sustain the same exercise performance eating low carb, but I've studied this extensively in myself, and I find significantly better performance when utilizing carbs than not. Despite the other many benefits of low carb.

The demands of being a "competitive athlete" are irrelevant to the practical experience of normal people just trying to work exercise into their lifestyle.

This is all apples-to-oranges here, because the original poster is not doing anything so demanding that it requires any special preparation or regimen outside of normal low-carbohydrate eating.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-13, 13:10
Triple digit loss

BF:

Greenlion, you might have missed she is training for a 10K race? That is being a competitive athlete.

And I can say there is no way I could handle a Zumba class on my low carb diet I am doing right now with my weight maybe it be different when I am closer to my goal. But I am not holding my breath. The energy level just isn't there with my muscles.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-13, 14:42

Plan: No added sugar/nostarches
Stats: 193/174/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinita
cpsnow, what made you gain weight? you said over the holidays (you mean the 4th?) and ate sugar (do you mean refined processed foods or fruits and veggies?).

Sounds to me you have a handle on the situation. And that perhaps, you can't have both at one time?

Just my take on it.

---

I say stick with what you know, works. Be patience with the short term disruption to your athletics. And then once you are where you want to be at. Start experimenting with some fruit during matches or intense work out sessions. And all other times (non match/work out times) watch your carbs.

Just my take on it...

Hi lovinita, Yes, your suggestion is what I have settled on. Low carb except before serious exercise. That seems to work from an exercise/competition point of view.

When I said I'd gained, yes -- the holidays were the Christmas/New Years holidays, and honestly I haven't recovered yet. I'd maintained an excellent weight for me of 168-170 for 7 months, and I let things slip a bit with all the candy and holiday food that surrounded me. I've been struggling to get back ever since, meaning I have not sustained the absolutism of the low carb that lost me the weight in the first place and with which I was so happy.

On the other hand because I have an easy time not eating bread/rice/pasta/cereal, the gains are less than ever before. I'm down to 178 from a high of 181 (193 before low carb). I have trouble with night eating and especially sweets. But I am now recommitted and trying to get back to where I was. I really have to not allow any sugar back in, as it feeds on itself, causes cravings, and increases my hunger. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now, but the bodily signals are very powerful...
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-13, 16:17
Triple digit loss

BF:

hey CpsNow,

I definitely understand about the cravings. it is a vicious cycle. you have one thing like a piece of birthday cake. It starts so easily and your body becomes a craving machine for more junk!

Personally, I think there is a level of detox that has to happen in the body like anything else. And it takes years I have noticed.

I still every once in a blue moon I will crave the fiz in soda and I will have 4 oz of my hubby diet orange to satisfy it. I can't stand setzler water takes like battery acid to me. And I should not be drinking diet but it is better than regular.

You think about it, I started drinking soda in 7 years old, I gave it up officially around 35 years of age. That is 28 years of toxicity to my body. I am 42 now.

But the body signals can be frustrating to deal with.

I have told my hubby I will never, go back on that cycle again.

Today, at work they had a pot luck lunch for a baby shower. Calzones, cake, marinated meatballs, potato salad, mac and cheese, cookies, ect...

I heated up my lunch(steak tips and green beans) brought into the conference room and sat down and ate.

The food that was brought in looked delicious and smelled good. But no way am I going to risk getting on that craving marry go round again.

Ever thought about eating some bacon, salami, pepperoni, ham, cheese at night? retrain you body to eat that... And then slowly cut it out?

I am sure you will overcome it in time... be patient
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-13, 16:47

Plan: No added sugar/nostarches
Stats: 193/174/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:

Yes, thanks for the encouragement, and congratulations on the strength you have found. I had that too, but lost the reins a bit. Not completely. But for a long time my attitude no matter what was available was simply, "I don't eat sugar." That worked, and I am not convinced that anything less will work long term for me. My raspberries are ripe on the vine now. It's hard. They're not so much sugar, but they're not none either!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-14, 09:25

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I do Zumba twice a week and Fitness Boot Camp at least 2 times a week ( I started this week) I love it. I do notice that my scale is still holding on to weight but I know its because my body is in "shock" mode and eventually it will relax and release the water its holding on to because of the shock... Don't give up you guys!! Don't get frustrated, we all have the same goals pretty much to better ourselves in one way or another!

On another note, Be aware, Zumba makes you VERY VERY SOre and you sweat TONS! SO drink lots of water and make sure you up your salt intake because you will get horrible cramps and headaches if not, I found this out first hand
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-14, 12:33

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 288/256/200 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 36%

I was exercising every morning since induction aiming for 30min (min 10min) of cardio or strength training every other day 6 days a week.

I just stopped three days ago after deciding to try the Leptin Rx from Jack Kruse. From what I can see, I may have better results without them at least until I am leptin sensitive again.
Then I will resume exercise again, but early in the morning isn't the best time to exercise, I plan to go to a sport club during lunch break then.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-14, 18:14

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Actually I am lchf, I haven't had a problem. I do 40 mins on the treadmill. 4 days a week, I get up at 4:00 most mornings and speed walk and the route has a steep hill. I am thinking of adding weights since my bones are getting thin. I don't want osteoporosis. So I think you should do fairly well