Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 12:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ROFL, YES!!! Base was started last year, ran into a glitch which I JUST worked out: building on a slope and needed to raise one side. Solution is to use cinder blocks AND surround with shavings/manure.

Its 10 x 10.

Also learning which vegies can be kept in the ground under mulch thru the winter.

The green house will not be heated, so at this point no tender plants will work. Did see a fellow with an AMAZING system of huge green houses that are jam-crammed full of vegetation, hardly room to walk thru, and he uses an underground heating system. Far more than I can do.

At best, I can use a bathroom with a grow light. ahhh, lemons and limes. Fortunately they are in season right now and hopefully will stock up.

In the past I have pickled them in salt. Easy and delish in sautees and stir fries.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 13:15

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Maybe you could set-up some kind of propane heater on very low that would just keep plants above the freeze level? That shouldn't be too expensive. Lay down a sheet of fireproof cement board under the heater which would withstand humidity, greenhouse effect.
  #198   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-19, 19:47

BF:

THat's a great idea!!!

---

Harvested more greens today. And started another batch of mung bean sprouts.

----

glad to know that baking soda is less abrasive than another ADA test brand of toothpaste. Still wondering about the material used during teeth cleaning that then requires polishing . Not feeling too keen on that method of eroding the enamel.
  #199   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 09:54

BF:

Hunting down Natto. Google helped locate utube videos for starting and "growing" my own batch using store bought natto as a starter. WOW. Very excited! Soy can be used or another dried bean. Little worried about the estrogen in soy-- wish the data was more in depth. One study showed estrogen in flax is a site blocker for human estrogen.... no info on soy yet in that regard.

Checked several stores-- 3-- no luck yet!!
  #201   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 12:18

BF:

Thanks, s9!!!
  #202   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 13:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Hunting down Natto. Google helped locate utube videos for starting and "growing" my own batch using store bought natto as a starter. WOW. Very excited! Soy can be used or another dried bean. Little worried about the estrogen in soy-- wish the data was more in depth. One study showed estrogen in flax is a site blocker for human estrogen.... no info on soy yet in that regard.

Checked several stores-- 3-- no luck yet!!

What are you going to do with it?
  #203   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 12:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What are you going to do with it?

Using the store bought natto to be the starter for a BIG batch of natto!! Sure hope I like the stuff, otherwise I will just choke it down. FIgure I can pay NOW, or pay later-- rather choke the stuff down and stay healthy than the alternative....

Natto is the best source of vitamin K2-- a full profile. The store bought pills are limited to one line, MK-7, or Mk-4,..... I want the WHOLE profile!!!!!!!
  #204   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 12:17

BF:

Looked at teeth again today. I dont like the build up of tartar on the inside of the lower front teeth. ( Cant see the behind upper ones.) Tried brushing up and down, nope, then sideways, nope. Finally decided to scrape it away. Used a flat headed tweezer to scrape off the tartar.

Will be happy when this stuff doesnt stick .... and grow.....

Asked at last appointment about the black coloring in the tops of the molars-- just staining. Makes me wonder why and is this important to the health of the tooth. For now, using a stiff brush, bite the brush crushing the bristles into the tooth. Still waiting for progress..

Otherwise teeth are slippery smooth.
  #205   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 12:33

BF:

The thing about the K and the confusion I read about is that it adds or creates clotting factors in the blood. People are advised not to take it if they are on blood thinners. So if we don't take blood thinners but don't really need our blood clotting (More)...??

Then it says that K is supposed to remove calcium from the arteries but how is that happening while clotting the blood more? See my confusion?
  #206   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 19:20

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I think K1 (found in plants and inexpensive multi-vitamins) is related to clotting and K2 to keeping the calcium where it's supposed to go, out of the arteries. They're in the same general vitamin family, but just as there are a lot of different B vitamins, they aren't the same thing or do the exact same things either.
  #207   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 20:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I think K1 (found in plants and inexpensive multi-vitamins) is related to clotting and K2 to keeping the calcium where it's supposed to go, out of the arteries. They're in the same general vitamin family, but just as there are a lot of different B vitamins, they aren't the same thing or do the exact same things either.

Are you sure because I think Ken was talking about this a while back and contemplating on what to do.

But really it works with the D to make the calcium go into the bones instead of arteries, is that right?
  #208   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 09:24

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
The thing about the K and the confusion I read about is that it adds or creates clotting factors in the blood. People are advised not to take it if they are on blood thinners. So if we don't take blood thinners but don't really need our blood clotting (More)...???

Vitamin K is the antidote to the blood thinner Warfarin(Coumadin), but people who take Warfarin are going for blood that takes at least twice as long as normal to clot. Some people are shooting for 3.5 times the normal clotting time! When warning about these things, they say "blood thnners" as a general category. Not all blood thinners are affected by Vitamin K.

Linus Pauling Institute says there's not known toxicity for K1 and K2, but there are some issues with K3 (the synthetic). There has been no upper limit established for Vitamin K.
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 09:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
Vitamin K is the antidote to the blood thinner Warfarin(Coumadin), but people who take Warfarin are going for blood that takes at least twice as long as normal to clot. Some people are shooting for 3.5 times the normal clotting time! When warning about these things, they say "blood thnners" as a general category. Not all blood thinners are affected by Vitamin K.

Linus Pauling Institute says there's not known toxicity for K1 and K2, but there are some issues with K3 (the synthetic). There has been no upper limit established for Vitamin K.

So are you saying that it only counteracts Warfarin but has no effect on the blood when someone does not take that med?
  #210   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 10:10

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
So are you saying that it only counteracts Warfarin but has no effect on the blood when someone does not take that med?

Yes, mostly. If you're not on Warfarin, you don't need to worry about too much Vitamin K.

You do need Vitamin K for blood clotting. If you're deficient in Vitamin K, you'll bleed. That's why they give Vitamin K injections to newborns.