Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 15:29

Plan: JUDDD 4/30/2012
Stats: 154/141/135 Female 54.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Mental Shift

What do you think about us posting all the positives to this way of life and way of eating? As we think of more reasons, we can copy and paste and then add it to the list. That way the last post will have tons of motivating thoughts for us to refer to. Lately I have been jotting down the positives at work to keep me from indulging in the junk that people inevitably bring in on an almost daily basis. Even though I have decided that now is the time for action on my weight loss goals, still I am tempted, and I want to remember the benefits of the low carb choices I am making. Join along if you want to.

BENEFITS OF LOW CARB EATING AND WEIGHT LOSS

1.I spend more time thinking of the positives about myself rather than the negatives: When I overeat, I berate myself, tear myself down, beat myself up, etc. What is constantly on my mind are negative thoughts. When I eat well, I see myself in a new light, I imagine all my possibilities and what I can accomplish in my life.
2. I have less back pain as I lose weight.
3. I have more energy when I eat low carb.
4. I have more energy at a lower weight.
5. I feel less puffy when I eat low carb.
6. Instead of focusing and thinking about...hmmm what sweets/carbs/etc can I eat next and then spending the time eating them, I instead spend my time doing things I love, like gardening, photography, reading.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 07:53

Plan: Meat & Eggs/IF
Stats: 165.2/159.6/155 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 55%

I like this list
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 08:05

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

It's all so very true. My kids are so much happier now that I'm on the low carb diet. Mommy is much more fun!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-10, 02:55

Plan: Primalish
Stats: 163/152/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Good idea, I'm in! I particularly like your #1 - so true, but I hadn't consciously realized it until I saw what you'd written.

1. I spend more time thinking of the positives about myself rather than the negatives: When I overeat, I berate myself, tear myself down, beat myself up, etc. What is constantly on my mind are negative thoughts. When I eat well, I see myself in a new light, I imagine all my possibilities and what I can accomplish in my life.
6. Instead of focusing and thinking about...hmmm what sweets/carbs/etc can I eat next and then spending the time eating them, I instead spend my time doing things I love, like gardening, photography, reading.
7. I have fewer depressive episodes when I eat low carb
8. I am much more focused and can concentrate better on what I'm doing
9. I don't get any wind, ever!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-10, 05:19

BF:

Ena,

So very true, I heartily agree--I can really relate to those three!! Your #7 and 8 especially, and like you say, it was unconscious. Thanks for bringing the realization to all of us.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 10:25

BF:
Default Update/edit

#8 added from my journal...

1. I spend more time thinking of the positives about myself rather than the negatives: When I overeat, I berate myself, tear myself down, beat myself up, etc. What is constantly on my mind are negative thoughts. When I eat well, I see myself in a new light, I imagine all my possibilities and what I can accomplish in my life.
7. I feel better when I go hiking...I am no so short of breath.
8. For me the number one is: I feel in control of my eating instead of my eating controlling me. -- Suzien
9. I have fewer depressive episodes when I eat low carb -- Ena
10. I am much more focused and can concentrate better on what I'm doing -- Ena
11. I don't get any wind, ever!  -- Ena
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 20:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Although this is an old thread, i think it is a great idea. So i am bumping it up and adding to the list:

8. For me the number one is: I feel in control of my eating instead of my eating controlling me. -- Suzien
12. even when i am not exactly enjoying myself (like right now, reading old posts as i bike very slowly on the stationary bike)...I feel proud of myself for all the learning. (ie: i have learned over the last 4 months that if carbs are calling my name -- not physical craving but that annoying voice in the head that keeps wondering if i *could* just have a bit of this or that -- if i get busy for 30 minutes it does pass. -- Blue
13. I seem to need less sleep! Or rather, I am waking up more alert after 8 hours than groggy and exhausted. -- Blue
14. I am less irritable and am clearer headed. -- Blue

Anyone in 2017 want to add to the list?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 20:53
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

12. even when i am not exactly enjoying myself (like right now, reading old posts as i bike very slowly on the stationary bike)...I feel proud of myself for all the learning. (ie: i have learned over the last 4 months that if carbs are calling my name -- not physical craving but that annoying voice in the head that keeps wondering if i *could* just have a bit of this or that -- if i get busy for 30 minutes it does pass. -- Blue
13. I seem to need less sleep! Or rather, I am waking up more alert after 8 hours than groggy and exhausted. -- Blue
15. My cholesterol numbers got better, then much worse, then better again, and now in maintenance and still eating LCHF my cholesterol is the best it has ever been. Totally normal now. A little wacky during the weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-17, 10:46

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

15. My cholesterol numbers got better, then much worse, then better again, and now in maintenance and still eating LCHF my cholesterol is the best it has ever been. Totally normal now. A little wacky during the weight loss.
16. Silly one but one I didn't consider; DON'T NEED A BELT ANYMORE -thud123
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

16. Silly one but one I didn't consider; DON'T NEED A BELT ANYMORE -thud123
17. Ha, I started needing a belt! I lost a lot around my middle, and I need something to hold my pants up. No complaints here!

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, Nov-15-18 at 10:07.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 07:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

18. Bending over to pick up is much easier; and putting on socks.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 11:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

yay! thanks for joining in Ms A. I agree!