Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-01, 15:08

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking

I am very new to the concept of low carb diets and know next to nothing about it. I been following this Mayo diet where I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast and grapefruit juice before every meal. Has anyone had any success on this diet and is it safe. I do know a few people that have lost alot of weight in a short amount of time on it ( 40 to 50 pounds in 2-2 1/2 months) and this is what drew me to the plan. The rest of the day and night have been spent eating meat, salad, pork rinds, cheese, and vegies. So far I haven't suffered too much. I have noticed alittle irritability. I guess I really was just wanted some opinions or advice that will help me turn back into the person I once was. Is this the right plan or is there something better. Thanks for any help! I was glad to find this forum!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-01, 15:32

Plan:
Stats: 310/230/220
BF:
Progress:

Hi!

The Mayo Clinic diet is an old internet saw that has been passed around for years and years, but it should be noted that it is *not* endorsed by the Mayo clinic. It does seem to work, perhaps because the recoomended foods (such as grapefruit) are very low glycemic- which means they have a small effect on the levels of insulin produced by the pancreas when they are metabolized. From reading your post, it sounds like you are basically doing low carb, with graprefruit juice added. i highly suggest you purchase or borrow a good lowcarb book - such as Atkins or Protein Power, or click on this link: http://www.wilstar.com/lowcarb (it's a FREE online diet plan that a fellow regular on asdl-c posted), and get yourself on a distinct, well planned out diet. The books will have all sorts of essential items of information for you, such as what vitamins to take, explanations of why the diet works, complete lists of foods that you can and can't eat. At the very least, you'll be armed with information.

Good luck, and God bless ya'!

Jake