Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 09:07

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%
Default netscape article

i wasn't sure if anyone would be interested.. but just in case, i posted it anyway

Dirty Little Secret About Low-Carb Diets

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040506/nythfns2_1.html

Almost half of low-carbohydrate dieters believe cutting carbohydrates from their meals is such a magic bullet for weight loss that there is no reason to count calories too, according to a new survey of 1,000 adults and 200 primary care physicians that was conducted by RoperASW for Slim-Fast Foods Co.

The steak and bacon crowd are in "calorie denial." And doctors say that attitude doesn't bode well for long-term weight loss success. Calories still count.

"Americans are under tremendous pressure to lose weight," Dr. John Foreyt, a clinical psychologist and director of the Behavioral Medicine Research Center at Baylor College, said in a news release announcing the survey results. "As a result, people are willing to believe what defies science--the notion that cutting carbs without cutting calories will generate lasting weight loss. The reality is, it is still important to control calories when following a low-carb diet or any other type of diet."

The survey findings:

# Do calories matter when you are going low-carb? 46 percent of low-carb dieters say they can lose weight by just cutting out the carbs without cutting calories. Fully 86 percent of doctors disagree.

# Can you lose weight and keep it off without cutting calories?52 percent say they can lose weight without cutting calories as long as they restrict carbohydrates. The vast majority of doctors (76 percent) say a diet will only be successful over the long haul if calories are cut, too.

# Does portion control matter when you are going low-carb?34 percent say there is no need to control portion size, while 83 percent of doctors say it is extremely or very important to do so. Sixty-one percent of doctors are concerned that their patients following a low-carb diet are not controlling their portion sizes as well.

# Should people following a low-carb diet worry about getting all the essential nutrients their body needs?55 percent say there is no worry about getting all the essential nutrients just because carbohydrates are reduced, compared with 95 percent of doctors who note how important it is to get essential nutrients when following this kind of restricted diet.

Perhaps the best advice, no matter what type of diet you're on, is to eat smart. Eat only when you're hungry and don't overeat.

Last edited by tamarian : Sat, May-15-04 at 09:56. Reason: Add link to reference from Yahoo news
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

I think alot of people dont realize that the low-carb diets reduce your overall apetite. You may start the diet with higher than recommended calories and lose weight because of a loss of water weight...but as your apetite decreases...your calorie count sinks to a rational level all by itself. My calorie intake is not anything a doctor would freak out about. Just an opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 11:31

Stats: 277.5/277.5/199 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree completely with what the article is saying. Low-carb eating generally addresses these concerns automatically. For those of us who screwed up their metabolisms and acquired some degree of hyperinsulinism, going low-carb reduces hunger and calorie intake. It still takes some attention to calories to be successful long term. I think many low-carbers (including me) stall when they don't make wise choices regarding food. Certain low-carb prepared foods are EXTREMELY high in calories for the portion size. I have found I can easily be in ketosis and still not lose weight because I'm eating too many precooked breakfast sausages at 200 calories each or drinking too much Carb Control chocolate milk at 100 a cup. When I eat fresher and eat foods that aren't super high in calories but satisfy my hunger, I am more successful. And I can't see how anyone would argue with taking supplements that your body needs.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 05:37
Registered Member

Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

""that was conducted by RoperASW for Slim-Fast Foods Co"".

couldnt be bothered reading the rest.

Lez