Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:32
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%
Smile New Maintainer

Hi everyone! I just reached goal today. I am happy but I thought I would be more ecstatic. I think I even feel a little sad, not sure why.

I think I may adjust my goal to 115 pounds. Have many of you adjusted your goal when you reached it?

red
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 17:44

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

hey and congratulations! I didn't adjust my goal and i wouldn't recommend it-- check out some of the previous threads on "addicted to loosing"-- seriously, it can happen! Be happy where you are and with what you achieved--i'm sure you looked fabulous. And don't be sad-- though that's natural. Think of it this way: for so long, your mentality has been loose weight. Now that the mentality is gone, things can be scary/confusing! Just remember, you've worked hard and now its your time to enjoy =) Find another goal (rather than loosing weight) like helping people or i dunno, gardening-- u just got find some other thing to focus your energy on. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 22:27

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Wow Congrats!!!
I think I know how you feel, I'm not postitive, but I think when I reached my goal, somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought, Oh my god, I'm finished, will it all come back on now??? Silly but I was a tad nervous. I am under goal and have been since about 3 weeks agter reaching my goal, but I really did'nt try. Also I really did'nt think in the beginning I'd ever reach my goal, so I did'nt put a whole lot fo thought into it. So at 135 now for 5'3" I seem just right.
Your 5'1" I'd stay at 120 any lower and you could look unhealthy, no one wants that, it aint pretty :>)

Be sure and read through the other threads here, there is some good info for Maintainers.

Cheers Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 22:07
"Natural Mystic"

Thanks Trusty & Kathy! I will check out the threads.

red
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:39

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations! I don't recommend adjusting your weight loss goal. How about making your goal to maintain month by month? I record my weight at the first of every month and keep a chart of it. I actually reached my goal a year ago in May. My goal is to stay between 128 & 134 for the rest of my life. It is so cool to look back over the months of maintaining. And keeping the weight off is what it really is about, isn't it?

Find some way to reward yourself for each month you maintain your loss. On the anniversary, REALLY cut loose - but not with food. I bought myself some new musical instruments and am playing up a storm.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:55
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Csj! Thank you. Congrats to all of you on maintaining. It seems that that might be tougher than losing. My main goal now is to reduce my body fat and gain some lean mass.
Quote:
Find some way to reward yourself for each month you maintain your loss. On the anniversary, REALLY cut loose - but not with food. I bought myself some new musical instruments and am playing up a storm.
Great idea. I'll think of something.

I'm still reading through threads on this forum. It is very quiet here.

Happy maintaining!

red
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 21:56

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
I'm still reading through threads on this forum. It is very quiet here.

Yes it is, but don't be afraid to come visit some of our journals.

Cheers Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 22:59
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Kathy! I have to say that reading your posts and looking at your weekly losses was very helpful to me this past year. Thank you.

Thanks for the invite. I have been to your journal but before you got to your goal. Sorry for trespassing. I'll be back again.

red
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 08:34

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Welcome to Maintenance. I am one that lowered my goal and now feel like it is too low. I really am a little too skinny but anguish at the thought of making myself gain weight. I love this Maintenance Club much better than another I belong to. You will love it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 10:54
"Natural Mystic"

Thanks Anleigh! Congrats on meeting your goal. The thought of gainng it back is scary.

I am supposed to be slowly increasing my carbs but yesterday I ate a little too many carbs (all legal) way past where I normally eat and now I'm back up to 120. That's okay. My weight is normally stable. Only goes up by a pound before TOM.

red
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:16

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

Here's an opposing viewpoint -- Go ahead and adjust your goal if you still think you have more to lose. Your goal was just a guess anyway -- now that you are there, you can see whether you need to lose more to get the body you wanted. (Exercise is important, too, of course.) At 5'3, 137 was my starting point for weight loss -- everyone's body is shaped differently and 137 put me in a size 12. I've seen other women celebrate getting into a size 12 at 30 pounds more than that! I couldn't get into a 6 until I hit 115 or so. Only you can decide whether you are where you need to be.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 17:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations Red!!

Welcome to maintenance!

Speech! Speech! (In the "Success Stories" forum, maybe? )
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:22
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Downscale! Hi Kristine!
Quote:
Go ahead and adjust your goal if you still think you have more to lose. Your goal was just a guess anyway -- now that you are there, you can see whether you need to lose more to get the body you wanted. (Exercise is important, too, of course.) At 5'3, 137 was my starting point for weight loss -- everyone's body is shaped differently and 137 put me in a size 12. I've seen other women celebrate getting into a size 12 at 30 pounds more than that! I couldn't get into a 6 until I hit 115 or so. Only you can decide whether you are where you need to be.
Thanks downscale. I'm in a 5-8 right now depending on the the store. I was planning to shoot for 115 because at my lean body mass now that would give a body fat of 20%, unless of course I gain mass. I think I will just concentrate on building muscle/lowering body fat and upping my carbs. I think/hope my body will know where is right for me.
Quote:
Speech! Speech! (In the "Success Stories" forum, maybe?
Thanks Kristine. I don't know if I can express as eloquently as those people. I'll write something.

red
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 12:18

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Smile

Welcome redcutie! And congratulations on reaching goal.

While I have not changed my goal weight, I ended up losing some extra weight during owl/pre-maintenance, even maintenance phase. Instead of trying to reach a certain number, why don't you just continue with your healthy eating habits and toning exercises? Your body will naturally come to a weight it is happy with .

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
I think I will just concentrate on building muscle/lowering body fat and upping my carbs. I think/hope my body will know where is right for me.
Couldn't have said better myself! Upping your carbs will help your body adapt to eating variety of foods and you won't end up gaining extra weight if you ever decide to eat 'off-plan'. Good luck and have a great weekend!

Rose
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 12:43
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Rose. Thanks for the congrats great advice. Great minds think alike huh? I am kind of slacking off on the working out and now I'm trying to get back on track. It feels like Spring these days so hopefully that will help me stay motivated.

red